Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiling over vinyl

• 02-03-2017 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭

I want to tile a kitchen which currently has lino on the floor. I took up the lino and underneath is a green sort of underlay that is glued to the concrete subfloor, this stuff will never come off.

I wondering can I tile directly over this and do I need something to bond the adhesive to this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Take it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A heat gun, scraper and elbow grease will get it up.
    Paint stripper may also help.

No tiler worth the title will even consider tiling directly onto underlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Your choices are to remove the lino and backing or put down a new cement board underlayment ontop of the lino.

Id put the effort in and just remove the lino. Having Lino + underlayment + new tiles is going to make the floor very high in comparison to other rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

650gs wrote: »
    Take it up

Best advice & only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

grand lads thanks. I'll spend Sunday ripping it up. obviously there will be some left over glue from the underlay on the concrete floor. Can I tile over that or do I need to give it a coat of pva?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

here's a picture of the stuff I'm on about. it's solid to the floor like. there's no way I can tile over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You would need to level the floor to tile over that.
    Best thing is to start it with a hammer and chisel. Then use a spade to lift the rest of them.
    Tis the way I done me own :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We put laminate down in the hall recently and this was under the carpet. Took about a day while with a hammer and a chisel/scraper. Not a nice job, but probably worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Hal1 wrote: »
    You would need to level the floor to tile over that.
    Best thing is to start it with a hammer and chisel. Then use a spade to lift the rest of them.
    Tis the way I done me own :).

Used the Spade trick myself, worked a treat and finished surprisingly quick

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

31MN50MHNVL._AC_.jpg

Shingle removal tool should do the business, but not sure where you can pick one up this neck of the woods...

• Advertisement
Advertisement