Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just been told we're doing 60hrs/week for March

Options
  • 02-03-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

I don't even know anymore.

My company has bolloxed up the latest deployment of their case tracker so badly, we're being "asked" to work 10hrs/day, Monday-Saturday, for all of March.

And this is after already doing overtime, every week, since the middle of January :mad:

Everybody is exhausted (some teams have been doing even worse OT) and I'm starting to wonder just how legal this company is running us.
    Plus, 90% of the workforce are non-Irish nationals, so I don't think they know their rights!

Who should I turn to for help in this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Look up European working time directive

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

I hate to stereotype but in my experience non nationals often have a far better grasp on our employment law than Irish employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Working time directive is 48 hours max per week.
    Are you being paid overtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

WRC Equality & Labour Law Guide 2016 - HERE

Pg 22 regarding General rest and working times. Exemptions on pg 21

Working weeks exceeding 48 hours, are averaged over a set time period i.e. 2 months or more - pg 22

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't even know anymore.

My company has bolloxed up the latest deployment of their case tracker so badly, we're being "asked" to work 10hrs/day, Monday-Saturday, for all of March.

And this is after already doing overtime, every week, since the middle of January :mad:

Everybody is exhausted (some teams have been doing even worse OT) and I'm starting to wonder just how legal this company is running us.
    Plus, 90% of the workforce are non-Irish nationals, so I don't think they know their rights!

Who should I turn to for help in this?

Reading this, I'm fairly certain you work in the same company my missus does (I worked there for almost ten years myself) - Have been wondering about the legalities of her insane recently OT myself.

She's also not being paid OT and is just banking days. It's gone beyond a joke at this point though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Pro2ac

So the problem is that "average" hours can be brought back down to an acceptable rate if you are given any time off to compensate, even if this is time off you did not ask for. Furthermore, contracts can be worded in a very tricky way, for instance if you have "seasonal high volumes" and your contract states this, your hour median will be taken on an average every 6 months, or so I believe. Are these practices unethical? Yes. Are they technically illegal? I don't think so.. Though of course if anyone has more insight I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Workplace relations is the place to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pro2ac wrote: »
    So the problem is that "average" hours can be brought back down to an acceptable rate if you are given any time off to compensate, even if this is time off you did not ask for. Furthermore, contracts can be worded in a very tricky way, for instance if you have "seasonal high volumes" and your contract states this, your hour median will be taken on an average every 6 months, or so I believe. Are these practices unethical? Yes. Are they technically illegal? I don't think so.. Though of course if anyone has more insight I would appreciate it.

The way the shítstorm is going down, it's looking like they can't even balance for the "average 48hr weeks", since that would mean giving EVERYONE a full week off in April (to start)...

Advertisement