Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking rhubarb

Options
  • 02-03-2017 5:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When picking rhubarb at this time of year, how many if any stalks should you leave in place in order for it to keep providing more? Very fond of freshly stewed rhubarb on my porridge so don't want to kill it off. I usually feed it from the composter once or twice a year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can harvest about two thirds of the stalks, twice or three times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Don't totally strip the crown. Have you divided it? If it's been there a few years, you can split it to double your crop, giving you a constant supply. Rhubarb doesn't prefer rich soil, so you don't have to compost around it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't totally strip the crown. Have you divided it? If it's been there a few years, you can split it to double your crop, giving you a constant supply. Rhubarb doesn't prefer rich soil, so you don't have to compost around it.

Thanks, haven't split them yet, makes sense. The foliage from the current plant takes up most of the space around it at present, but theoretically two or maybe three plants harvested in rotation to two thirds could work in the same area. I remember as a kid we used to grow them from old chimney pots which increased the stalk to leaf ratio, might look at something like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I thought the richer the soil the better!
    Have given mine 10cm of leaf mould and another 10cm of FYM on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I usually try to take the oldest stalks, but leave 2 or even 3 stalks on the crown to keep the plant getting enough sunlight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rhubarb thrives much better in fertile soil and will always benefit from plenty of good compost.

Advertisement