Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit with no receipt?

• 02-03-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

The other day I went to see an apartment in Dublin along other 30 or 40 more people. Today I've got a call from the real estate agency saying that I have been chosen (yay), but to secure the letting I need to do a bank transfer of the deposit, and once they receive it we will go ahead with the contract.
    They are saying that they will provide an email receipt once they see the money in their account.
    I have asked if I can go to their office and pay in cash and get a paper deposit, but they are insisting on the bank transfer.
    It looks really fishy. Until they receive the funds I will not have any receipt. And then, only an email.
    Is this standard procedure for real estate agencies in Dublin? I really don't want to be scammed and lose my deposit again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

If you're worried they're not legitimate, look up the company's number in the phone book or online, ring them on that number and ask for confirmation of the bank details to check they're the same as the ones you were previously sent. You can also check online if they're registered agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adlerhn

Yeah I've checked their website, called them, and told the same over the phone. I think the agency itself is legit, but I am not comfortable with their request. Especially the part of not having a receipt. Who would give (a lot of) money without getting any receipt or having any contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

You will have the record of the transaction in your bank account as proof though? I don't really see any issue there tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Don't see an issue here either - if the agency is around a while you'll be grand. Right to be wary but you will have your own record of the transfer

Archive.org keeps copies of their (old) website since 2001. What it doesn't say, of course, is how many litigations have they had in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Well, if they're a legitimate agency then it's a perfectly normal request. You'll have a record of the bank transaction in your account, and when they receive it they'll send you a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Do they have a PRSA license? Then they are legit.

I can see why they dont want cash. It involves a trip to the bank, they might not have insurance for storing cash etc.

Why would you expect a receipt for something you havent paid for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If it wasn't legit, they would snatch the cash off you. If there insisting on a bank transfer, it sounds safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The bank transfer is your proof of payment. A receipt is going to say that you paid but your bank statements will say the same thing. If they are a legitimate business then I would not worry.
    If you really want to you could ask them to email you a request for the money to secure 55 o Connell street or whatever the address is. This way the money you transfer will match the amount requested.

Thanks everyone. I'll go through with this if my future flatmate agrees.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If your completely sure that they're a legitimate agency then they are doing business the correct way. They would have to deal in bank transfers.

One thing though to be completely positive is not to rely on just an email with the bank details. Ring the landline for the office and say you want to confirm the details.

Scams have been known to take place when people have relied purely on email. Make sure you're speaking to someone in their actual office and it'll be fine.

Advertisement