Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-purchase survey, one highlight

Options
  • 02-03-2017 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I got my survey done on an apartment not a long ago. It was all good bar one thing which was highlighted to me. The surveyor discovered 2 spots on heating system pipes (gas boiler central) where the water could be seeping out.

I wonder is it worth to mention this to the EA for getting it pressure checked by a plumber? If it's not up to scratch should I get them repair it before the contracts are signed?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

padyjoe wrote: »
    The surveyor discovered 2 spots on heating system pipes (gas boiler central) where the water could be seeping out.
    Did said leakage cause any visible damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think you'll probably be fixing this at your own expense after the purchase has been completed. It's not a structural issue. If there's not much demand where you're looking then you could bring it up, but if there were other bidders I'd suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

the_syco wrote: »
    Did said leakage cause any visible damage?
    Well, I don't know it can be called a damage. It looks like when a car coolant system start leaking and you can see the limescale deposit on the hose.
    So water must be getting there slowly which evaporates and leaves solid stuff behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Personally, as this is not structural i would let it go, if i was the seller I would be thinking you might mess me around at contract time if you are picking up on this kind of thing and would accept another offer, just my 2c.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Supercell wrote: »
    Personally, as this is not structural i would let it go, if i was the seller I would be thinking you might mess me around at contract time if you are picking up on this kind of thing and would accept another offer, just my 2c.

It is not seeping out. If it were seeping out it would be wet and the engineer would have noted this.

It did seep out, maybe, at some stage. Because you don't know the history of the repair you would do well to keep an eye on it. The engineer would have been remiss not to mention it.

It is worth discussing with the engineer briefly and having him explain it to you. That is how he earns his money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Ok, thanks, very useful thoughts!

Advertisement