Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin mechanic to service an '06 Civic?

• 02-03-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've just bought an '06 Civic and I'd like to have it fully inspected and serviced, new tyres put on and a squeaky clutch sorted. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Dublin? I've had a look through some old threads on Boards and Tuning Factory seems to have a good reputation, but I can't find any website for them.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bring your car to a tyre fitters to get new tyres, mechanics will normally charge a premium as they will have to source them and wait for them to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Cheers AD, I've actually ordered the tyres online because none of the tyre places seemed to stock the ones I wanted. Strangely, Goodyear (Ireland) themselves hadn't heard of them either, so I expect they're ones that are marketed in mainland Europe, but not Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the squad coming from the pedal?

Is it a saloon or hatch?

Squeak definitely sounds like it's coming from the pedal. It's a hatchback. From what I've read online, it seems to be a common and recurring problem with the Civics. It seems that many have struggled to find a long term solution to the problem.

That sounds right. Luckily mine doesn't squeak.

Have a look on civicinfo.

Any chimp can service these by the way. They're very easy to DIY on. The oil filter is very accessible too.

Ref tyres, Civics are very sensitive to tyres nose wise. Best ones I've got were a Michelin Energys.

• Advertisement

I'd be grand changing fluids and filters myself, but beyond that I wouldn't really know what to be looking out for, even with the Haynes! I bought these tyres (all-season cos I can't afford to have two sets) partly because they have a 68dB noise rating: Goodyear Vector4Seasons

Would you have any recommendations for a main dealer? There's two outstanding recalls on the car (rear damper and EPS control unit) that I need to get done.

Honda dealers tend to be good either way so wherevers close.
    If you can do oil, filters and plugs yourself (don't bother with iridium ones if it's a 1.8) then that's the bulk of what it needs. No point getting a dealer to do this work.

Grand, I'll give it a go so! Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think the only solution for the squeaky clutch was to replace the master cylinder. Some folks had some temporary success with lubing the mechanism though.

Zcott wrote: »
    I think the only solution for the squeaky clutch was to replace the master cylinder. Some folks had some temporary success with lubing the mechanism though.

I've read on some Honda forums about people replacing the master cylinder or the pedal box to try to rectify the problem. It seems that in many cases though, the problem still returns. Out of curiosity, is it expensive to replace the master cylinder? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I think the squeaky noise is from the spring in the pedal, I think the plastic washers are worn.

Mine is a f#$&ing head melt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Turn up the radio

Honestly not worth fixing a squeaky pedal on an 11 year old car once the clutch works fine.

Turn up the radio

Honestly not worth fixing a squeaky pedal on an 11 year old car once the clutch works fine.

Well, I'm not sure why the year is important. It's equally annoying whether the car is 20 years old or has just rolled out of the factory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Well, I'm not sure why the year is important. It's equally annoying whether the car is 20 years old or has just rolled out of the factory!

Because the value and age are correlative. It makes sense on a new car worth a decent chunk but labour can be astronomical to fix a squeaky clutch pedal, especially if the pedal box has to be taken out.
    It wasn't a civic but I know someone who spent over 1500 quid getting rid of a squeaky clutch as the whole dash had to come out. Personally I'd have turned up the radio.
    Get a quote first anyway

Because the value and age are correlative. It makes sense on a new car worth a decent chunk but labour can be astronomical to fix a squeaky clutch pedal, especially if the pedal box has to be taken out.
    It wasn't a civic but I know someone who spent over 1500 quid getting rid of a squeaky clutch as the whole dash had to come out. Personally I'd have turned up the radio.
    Get a quote first anyway

You have me worried now, I was expecting it would be a relatively minor thing to sort. I definitely can't live with the squeak, but I sure as hell can't pay €1500. Hopefully it'll be a cheaper fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

The master cylinder in the Civic can be replaced without removing dashboard,pedal box etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

If it's any help, your mind eventually just blanks out the squeaking and you don't notice it anymore...... Untill someone gets in the car and points out the noise again.

jimbis wrote: »
    If it's any help, your mind eventually just blanks out the squeaking and you don't notice it anymore...... Untill someone gets in the car and points out the noise again.

I hope you're right but I'm not so sure. It sounds like a horror movie soundtrack when I'm on the clutch in slow moving traffic!

Advertisement