Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused HL Irish

Options
  • 02-03-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

After reflecting from two years ago, I was delcined doing higher level Irish (JC)

Was just wondering if it is acceptable for a school to refuse teaching higher level Irish for junior cert. I was told that I could not join in with higher level as the timetable didn't match and there was no capacity in the other class. I was given a folder of materials to learn but would not get help in school, so I decided to give it up.

So is it okay for a school to do this? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there is no room in the class, what do you think they should do?
    Have a class for one person?

I'm not sure what your first sentence means, did you move from another school?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 effurt

spurious wrote: »
    If there is no room in the class, what do you think they should do?
    Have a class for one person?

I'm not sure what your first sentence means, did you move from another school?

It was the way it was timetabled. They didn't have Irish on against Irish. It was Science that was full, so I couldn't switch class. I was at the school from first year but indicated I wanted to higher level when they were ordering past exam papers, because we were never asked before. I was just given a folder and told to "self-educate"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Again, I'm unclear on things. Three months before the exam was when you found out what level you were doing?
    Has your Irish teacher covered the HL course with you or the OL course?
    Are you in 2nd year or 3rd?

spurious wrote: »
    Again, I'm unclear on things. Three months before the exam was when you found out what level you were doing?
    Has your Irish teacher covered the HL course with you or the OL course?
    Are you in 2nd year or 3rd?

It was in September of 3rd year when the exam papers we were asked what level papers we wanted. (Had a sub at the time), who ordered me higher level, but then the principal said this couldn't be done due to the science. We were doing ordinary all along but it had never been properly explained.

Did you do a Higher or Ordinary mock?

If you think you can do HL, you will need to get your parent to ask the Principal to get the level changed with the SEC. You can't just ask for HL on the day in June like you can in the Leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

OP, I'm unclear on what year you're in at the moment. You said you were reflecting from 2 years ago which would make you a 5th or 6th year? If so what grade did you get in ordinary? As someone who did ordinary for the junior and got an A, I decided to do HL for the leaving which is where it counts really. Doing OL isn't the end of the world for the JC and if you've done it already what's the point in worrying about something you can't change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

OP its Irish, put your energy into subjects that will actually make a difference to your future.

Parachutes wrote: »
    OP, I'm unclear on what year you're in at the moment. You said you were reflecting from 2 years ago which would make you a 5th or 6th year? If so what grade did you get in ordinary? As someone who did ordinary for the junior and got an A, I decided to do HL for the leaving which is where it counts really. Doing OL isn't the end of the world for the JC and if you've done it already what's the point in worrying about something you can't change?

Yeah, I'm doing leaving cert this year. I ended up getting an A, and was allowed to switch for leaving cert, however was at a disadvantage as I never even studied poetry or had sufficient vocab for higher for LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bubbles2001

Im in the same situation as you I was just placed into ordinary level and want to move up after Jc. How difficult is honours irish at LC?

Im in the same situation as you I was just placed into ordinary level and want to move up after Jc. How difficult is honours irish at LC?

Massive difference in junior ol and leaving HL. The listening pulls marks down. If you put work into the oral, you might have a chance at passing as its worth 40%(regardless of level). The studied poetry and stories are alot to learn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement