Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guest wearing a white bridal style dress to a wedding

• 02-03-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭

One of the main beauty bloggers has been posting photos of herself attending a friend's wedding. The blogger is wearing a white wedding style gown to this wedding. Granted, she stated that it is a traditional ceremony over here in Dubai the bride wears mint green. But despite the bride not wearing a white dress, is it ever ok to wear a white dress to someone elses wedding, expecially if said dress is extremely bridal looking? Personally, I wouldn't. For me, it's one thing wearing a white dress if the style is short and summery (but I still wouldn't even wear that), but it's a whole other thing wearing a white floor length gown to a wedding, especially if it is embellished just like a typical wedding gown and is made from material that is very wedding dress like. What are others thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The white wedding dress thing is a western tradition. Indian women traditionally wear their own weddings saris to other weddings, and it's not remotely seen as taboo. I'd imagine she knows whether or not it's appropriate in the setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

The white wedding dress thing is a western tradition. Indian women traditionally wear their own weddings saris to other weddings, and it's not remotely seen as taboo. I'd imagine she knows whether or not it's appropriate in the setting.

I'm sure she does too. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to wear any style wedding gown to any type of wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

If white isn't seen as a traditional colour, then what's the issue? Mint green is their traditional colour, but would we be annoyed if someone wore mint green to our weddings? No. I think it's unfair to pick that element when it's clearly separate traditions. For what it's worth, I think she looks amazing in that dress - I wouldn't be able to keep tan/make up/my wine off of it though!!!!

If white isn't seen as a traditional colour, then what's the issue? Mint green is their traditional colour, but would we be annoyed if someone wore mint green to our weddings? No. I think it's unfair to pick that element when it's clearly separate traditions. For what it's worth, I think she looks amazing in that dress - I wouldn't be able to keep tan/make up/my wine off of it though!!!!

It's not just about the colour of the dress, it's the style, as it says in the thread title. Why wear a bridal style gown to a wedding, and in white too? Why go for the bridal look of one tradition and wear it to any wedding, regardless of the tradition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Is this blogger bashing thread or genuine question? If it's second then I don't know how wedding in Dubai is relevant for discussion.

To answer the question I wouldn't wear white dress to a wedding in Ireland. Where I come from it wouldn't even occure to anyone (including brides) that white is not appropriate for guests to wear. Different countries/cultures have different traditions and as long it's appropriate for the specific wedding then I don't think there is an issue.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Is this blogger bashing thread or genuine question? If it's second then I don't know how wedding in Dubai is relevant for discussion.

To answer the question I wouldn't wear white dress to a wedding in Ireland. Where I come from it wouldn't even occure to anyone (including brides) that white is not appropriate for guests to wear. Different countries/cultures have different traditions and as long it's appropriate for the specific wedding then I don't think there is an issue.

Why am I not surprised that you would try insinuate blogger bashing, seriously?

But back to the topic, it's just my stance that when attending a wedding where your friend is a bride, you yourslef shouldn't turn up looking also like a bride.

ratmouse wrote: »

But back to the topic, it's just my stance that when attending a wedding where your friend is a bride, you yourslef shouldn't turn up looking also like a bride.
    But if bride is wearing green according to the op she isn't looking like a bride so what is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is a different country and culture. It is also not Ireland, where you can show off as much skin as you like. If I was at the wedding, I would be delighted she was dressed modestly, the style or colour of the dress be irrelevant. Im sure a lot of Irish guests, will be wearing dresses not acceptable for the UAE ie super short etc. But I imagine a fair amount of the Irish guests will be more concerned with who wore white at a wedding, where the bride is wearing green...

But it's only if it happened in Ireland or where white is seen as a bridal colour that this might be an issue! If she was wearing mint green, then there might be a problem! Full length gowns is what she's going for - she already wore a fuschia one the other night! I don't see the issue.

But it's only if it happened in Ireland or where white is seen as a bridal colour that this might be an issue! If she was wearing mint green, then there might be a problem! Full length gowns is what she's going for - she already wore a fuschia one the other night! I don't see the issue.

Why do you think that wearing a white dress would only be an issue if it was in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I don't see the issue. The bride wears green. There is no reason for the guest not to wear white.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It is a different country and culture. It is also not Ireland, where you can show off as much skin as you like. If I was at the wedding, I would be delighted she was dressed modestly, the style or colour of the dress be irrelevant. Im sure a lot of Irish guests, will be wearing dresses not acceptable for the UAE ie super short etc. But I imagine a fair amount of the Irish guests will be more concerned with who wore white at a wedding, where the bride is wearing green...

With regards to your point about her not showing off skin, her dress is fairly backless.

Why do you think that wearing a white dress would only be an issue if it was in Ireland?

I said 'in Ireland or where white is seen as a bridal colour'.

It shows a lack of understanding if you're carrying the whole 'white = bridal' approach when it was stated that green is the bridal colour in Dubai.

I said 'in Ireland or where white is seen as a bridal colour'.

It shows a lack of understanding if you're carrying the whole 'white = bridal' approach when it was stated that green is the bridal colour in Dubai.

I'm referring to the colour heavily coupled with a bridal style gown.

I'm referring to the colour heavily coupled with a bridal style gown.

I was replying to your post in #11.

Considering the catty comments underneath said picture on her Facebook page, perhaps you would find more 'support' there.

I was replying to your post in #11.

Considering the catty comments underneath said picture on her Facebook page, perhaps you would find more 'support' there.

I haven't made any catty comments here or there so there's absolutely no need for you to make suggestions on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

It's the equivalent of a Dubai resident wearing a mint green dress to a wedding here, and somewhere getting on the Dubai boards equivalent and claiming it's inappropriate. It's not at all, it's a non issue, everyone has disagreed with you so I would stop digging if I were you.

sassyj wrote: »
    It's the equivalent of a Dubai resident wearing a mint green dress to a wedding here, and somewhere getting on the Dubai boards equivalent and claiming it's inappropriate. It's not at all, it's a non issue, everyone has disagreed with you so I would stop digging if I were you.

I'm not digging. I have given my opinion. Others have given theirs. And I'm still entitled to hold that opinion, despite it differing from those who have posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Without seeing the dress it's kind of hard to say but I don't see the big deal. The bride wasn't wearing white, white isn't the "bridal" colour in Dubai.

Someone wore a lace white dress to my wedding and I couldn't have cared less. I was too busy enjoying my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

When I saw her wearing the white dress my initial reaction was Oh God no! It actually reminded me of another beauty bloggers wedding dress! This was before I realised the wedding was taking place in Dubai and of Indian tradition. Seeing a photo of the blogger alongside the bride, I can't see any issue at all. The bride is wearing an extremely ornate gold and coloured gown. It's just not the same as if it had happened here.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how to post pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

muggles wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to post pics!

Im not getting bridal from that dress. But that dress does look like something from a hit Channel Wedding show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I don't think the white dress pictured above looks that bridal imo. Its a very typical evening dress style that I've seen in a whole variety of colours.

(Of course would be a totally different thing if it was worn to an Irish wedding where it's tradition for the bride to wear white.)

Ah come on. If the bride is wearing typical wedding dress the white one couldn't be more different. In fact you would look more 'bridal' at that wedding in something blingy and colorful from Virgos Lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

It looks like a wedding dress .. regardless of what goes on in Dubai western culture is not to wear white to a wedding makes me wonder why she would wear what looks like a wedding dress to a wedding.
    Bit odd imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cria wrote: »
    It looks like a wedding dress .. regardless of what goes on in Dubai western culture is not to wear white to a wedding makes me wonder why she would wear what looks like a wedding dress to a wedding.
    Bit odd imo.

Only from a western perspective. From an Asian perspective, it looks like the guest has gone totally overboard in making sure they don't look like a bride.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Only from a western perspective. From an Asian perspective, it looks like the guest has gone totally overboard in making sure they don't look like a bride.

Or they've gone totally overboard to look like a bride but because it's an Asian wedding they can get away with it . Also the majority of her followers are western so to them in her pics it looks like she's the one who got married.

Cria wrote: »
    Or they've gone totally overboard to look like a bride but because it's an Asian wedding they can get away with it . Also the majority of her followers are western so to them in her pics it looks like she's the one who got married.

It genuinely does look like she got married. Lots of people asking her that. That picture above looks like 2 brides, albeit from 2 different wedding cultures, sitting side by side .

Just as long as we cleared up its about specific blogger wearing specific dress at a specific wedding. And not a general question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Is it any different to wearing that dress at a ball?

GingerLily wrote: »
    Is it any different to wearing that dress at a ball?

No to me. White seems very fashional for the last few years. It's everywhere, especially both sides in American politics went mental with wearing white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's a gorgeous dress and looks great on her. It would actually make a fab bridal dress.
    Sure nowadays many brides don't even wear a traditional white dress to their own wedding.
    I think the pic of her dress needs to be put in perspective, it's not an Irish wedding, white bridal is not tradition in the area. She is offending no-one. It only looks like a bridal dress to western cultures.

But I think in Ireland anyway there's still the thing of you can't wear practically any shade of white or cream to a wedding. For my own wedding one of my friends was worried about the dress she was going to wear, a white maxi dress with a floral pattern, looked gorgeous on her and not bridal at all but she was so worried because the base colour of the dress was white. I think nowadays it shouldn't be as bit an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

in my opinion she looks like a bride in our country and the bride doesn't. I would think that the bride was a wedding. I don't know their culture enough to know what kind of occasion it is.

my point is that I'm sure their culture looks at the guest the same. they see the bride as the bride and the guest as a guest
    it is only a problem in peoples heads from this culture

meeeeh wrote: »
    Just as long as we cleared up its about specific blogger wearing specific dress at a specific wedding. And not a general question.

I referred to the photo that someone else posted, making it more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I don't see an issue with it since it's and Indian wedding. If was in Ireland, sure, it would be inappropriate but not in Dubai. At the end of the day it's only really going to be an issue if it's your own wedding and if the bride is fine with her outfit then I don't see the issue.

Can't help but feel this is just another blogger bashing thread.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It's a gorgeous dress and looks great on her. It would actually make a fab bridal dress.
    Sure nowadays many brides don't even wear a traditional white dress to their own wedding.
    I think the pic of her dress needs to be put in perspective, it's not an Irish wedding, white bridal is not tradition in the area. She is offending no-one. It only looks like a bridal dress to western cultures.

But I think in Ireland anyway there's still the thing of you can't wear practically any shade of white or cream to a wedding. For my own wedding one of my friends was worried about the dress she was going to wear, a white maxi dress with a floral pattern, looked gorgeous on her and not bridal at all but she was so worried because the base colour of the dress was white. I think nowadays it shouldn't be as bit an issue.

I completely get what you're saying with regards to your friend's choice of white based dress at your wedding. A white and floral maxi dress isn't in any way, a bridal style dress so it would be perfectly fine. I personally just wouldn't wear a white bridal style gown to any type of wedding. Just my stance. Also, not blogger bashing and haven't said anything to "bash" a blogger. An opinion is surely a bit different. Other scenarios of when white and white style dresses are/were worn at weddings are also being discussed here so there's no need for the premature blogger bashing accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BasicBitch

Pretty sure it's the same dress Tara Makeup wore for her wedding last year? Either way, I would be more concerned with the outrageous photo-shopping of the images than what she's wearing.

BasicBitch wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's the same dress Tara Makeup wore for her wedding last year? Either way, I would be more concerned with the outrageous photo-shopping of the images than what she's wearing.
    muggles wrote: »
    When I saw her wearing the white dress my initial reaction was Oh God no! It actually reminded me of another beauty bloggers wedding dress!

;):D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I am regrettably closing this thread for the moment as it has taken a turn. While the intention may have been to discuss wearing white to a wedding, we can all see where this is going.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement