Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding on a house

Options
  • 02-03-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the following and would have any advice? I am trying to buy a house for the last 6 months or so but always get out-bidded. I have seen a house which I think will stay within my budget. When I phoned the estate agent to talk about it he was very short on the phone like he didnt want to talk about it. All he told me was there was a bid a little over the asking price. When I tried to place a bid he told me I would have to email it in. I subsequently did this but didnt get any response. When I emailed him again the next day to confirm he received my bid I got a one word response saying he had but no other details. It's been a week now and I haven't heard anything since. I have no idea if there has been any new bids or if mine id the highest.

I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour or if maybe he isn't interested in selling to me for some reason. If that is the case does anyone have advice for how to handle it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you bidding blind? Have you arranged to see the house? You should drop into the estate agent, at the moment he proabably just thinks your a dreamer on the phone. Go in and meet them and the same with the other house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jack66

I have viewed the house and he took my name at the time. Sorry... I left that out. So I'm not bidding blind. I think you're probably right though that I'll need to call into the office in person.

What do you mean by 'the other house'? There is only one house....the one I put a bid on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its probably not actually for sale. i had a few instances like that - houses advertised as for sale (my understanding is that the bank possibly wanted to repossess them and the owner has to look like they are making moves to sell it) but they never called back/arranged a viewing.

I am open to correction on the reasoning above - im pretty sure i saw others mention it here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sreilly37

Resend your bid with a time limit on it (3-10 days) and ask for a confirmation email back or call after you send it.

Estate agents aren't the nicest people in the world. Just don't take offence. Up until I proved I had the funds to buy my house the estate agent wasn't a nice guy at all, after that he was lovely.

Advertisement