Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you're banned after getting 12 points

• 02-03-2017 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Are you banned only in the category of vehicle in which you got 12 points or are you banned from all categories that you hold?

What if someone has a full B license for 6 years, and recently got a cat A permit. If they get 7 points on the bike, do they lose their full car license too?
    If they picked up 7 when driving a car does that mean they lose the bike license?

Or would the points be held separately? Could you pick up 6 points on the bike and 11 points in the car and still be in the clear if you don't get any more? Or pick up 6 on the bike and just let your learner permit expire and the points will vanish with that.

Just something I thought about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I hardly can see how someone can get banned from driving cars, for obtaining 7 points, just because they hold driving permit for motorbikes or full licence for motorbikes for less than 2 years.
    Wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Same driver number on the permit as your original full license.. the points stay against your driver number. If you get 12 points, you're licence is revoked, (by your driver number for all categories) regardless of what vehicle you were driving at the time of the incidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Same driver number on the permit as your original full license.. the points stay against your driver number. If you get 12 points, you're licence is revoked, (by your driver number for all categories) regardless of what vehicle you were driving at the time of the incidents

OK, so what if I pick up 7 points in my car (where I have a full license more than 2 years). Will I lose my bike learner permit then?

What if I pick up 7 points on my bike, I know I'll lose the bike permit then, but does that mean I'll lose the car license too? As Cinio pointed out, it make sno sense.

Can someone here also clarify that a "clean license" means no endorsements of convictions attached to it. A "clean license" has nothing to do with penalty points.

You could have 11 points and have a "clean license" as long as you have no endorsements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CiniO wrote: »
    I hardly can see how someone can get banned from driving cars, for obtaining 7 points, just because they hold driving permit for motorbikes or full licence for motorbikes for less than 2 years.
    Wouldn't make sense.

You'll be banned from the bike and not the car. But it doesn't matter on which vehicle you got the points though.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll be banned from the bike and not the car. But it doesn't matter on which vehicle you got the points though.

Which is bollocks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Points are on the license not the vehicle, it's be like having €20 in a bookies, losing €20 on a horse and expecting to still have €20 on a dog, then have €20 on poker, etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just drive properly. .. no brainer FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Can someone here also clarify that a "clean license" means no endorsements of convictions attached to it. A "clean license" has nothing to do with penalty points.

You could have 11 points and have a "clean license" as long as you have no endorsements.

Penalty points are endorsements on your licence record.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »

Theres always fvcking one, Jesus Christ. This is the motors forum and I only asked a question.

Bet you've never slipped over the speed limit accidentally before and just been unlucky enough that there happened to be a speed van there. Have you?

I've no points by the way. So Fock off.

Mod note - day ban for not nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't think some posters are getting this question which is interesting.
    I'd say if you got 12 points on your car license you'd be banned from driving everything. If you got 7 points on a prov.bike permit, I don't think this would affect your car license though. It's an odd anomaly. In theory, your bike learners permit would be revoked but not your car license. The 7 points could be earned on either the car or bike permit, in other words, 7 points on your car license would see you banned from your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Theres always fvcking one, Jesus Christ. This is the motors forum and I only asked a question.

Bet you've never slipped over the speed limit accidentally before and just been unlucky enough that there happened to be a speed van there. Have you?

The question was answered. Speeding is speeding irrespective of the vehicle in which you are caught.

If you have 7 points (irrespective of how you got them) park the bike and stick to the car.

If you have 12 points then no driving of anything..

Nothing complicated about it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Isambard wrote: »
    I don't think some posters are getting this question which is interesting.
    I'd say if you got 12 points on your car license you'd be banned from driving everything. If you got 7 points on a prov.bike permit, I don't think this would affect your car license though. It's an odd anomaly. In theory, your bike learners permit would be revoked but not your car license. The 7 points could be earned on either the car or bike permit, in other words, 7 points on your car license would see you banned from your bike.

What are you on about, I thought you only get one license?

If you have completed a novice period (initial 2 years after claiming your first license), or held a license prior to the requirement, you are not required to go through a Novice period for subsequent licenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

You cannot judge someone's driving ability or safety record by the number of points they have.

Driving "properly" doesn't have a correlation with points earned.

Back in your box :D

If you have completed a novice period (initial 2 years after claiming your first license), or held a license prior to the requirement, you are not required to go through a Novice period for subsequent licenses.

Full car license..

Decide to get a bike. Apply for license.

Provisional bike license

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

knipex wrote: »
    Full car license..

Provisional bike license

A small bit fraudulant perhaps?

Imagine the lies you'd have to tell to get insured :D

A small bit fraudulant perhaps?

Imagine the lies you'd have to tell to get insured :D

Nothing fraudulent about it..

Lots of people decide to get a motorbike license or truck license in their 30's having over 10 years car driving experience so get issued with new provisional.

But The points are yours.. however they are gained

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Full car license..

Provisional bike license

There's no provisional anymore.

You can only have 1 license. You do not get impacted by a lower threshold for points if you already have a driving license when getting a permit to learn other categories applied to your license.

There's no provisional anymore.

You can only have 1 license. You do not get impacted by a lower threshold for points if you already have a driving license when getting a permit to learn other categories applied to your license.

So if I have a full car license and I apply for a bike license I get a full license ? Or a trailer license I automatically get a full license ?

Of course there is still a provisional..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You can't have a clean license with 11 points ;)

So if I have a full car license and I apply for a bike license I get a full license ? Or a trailer license I automatically get a full license ?

No, you don't get a full bike/trailer or whatever license. Why would you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

wonski wrote: »
    You can't have a clean license with 11 points ;)

I recall reading and being explained, that penalty points don't affect a status: "clean" of the licence.

When I moved to Ireland, I didn't understand what "clean" licence was, and I recall it just means that it's without "endorsements".

Penalty points are not endorsements.

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Are you banned only in the category of vehicle in which you got 12 points or are you banned from all categories that you hold?

What if someone has a full B license for 6 years, and recently got a cat A permit. If they get 7 points on the bike, do they lose their full car license too?
    If they picked up 7 when driving a car does that mean they lose the bike license?

Or would the points be held separately? Could you pick up 6 points on the bike and 11 points in the car and still be in the clear if you don't get any more? Or pick up 6 on the bike and just let your learner permit expire and the points will vanish with that.

Just something I thought about.

Did you never wonder why they have all the images of different vehicles on a license?

learnerpermit2.png

If you can read this, you're too close!

You're arguing over semantics now. There isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Penalty points are endorsements on your licence record.

I recall reading and being explained, that penalty points don't affect a status: "clean" of the licence.

When I moved to Ireland, I didn't understand what "clean" licence was, and I recall it just means that it's without "endorsements".

Good luck explaining it to your insurer or employer :)

Clean means clean.

You cannot judge someone's driving ability or safety record by the number of points they have.

Sounds like the OP thinks that accumulating 19 points is good driving....poor chap.

Should have gone to Specsavers. .. :-)

Mod note - day ban for not nice

Dude, you're quite obviously an inexperienced driver. I wonder why you thinks it's okay to amass 17 points on 2 vehicle types.
    Are you still on your provisional? Less points so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's a 'driving' ban which means you are banned from driving ALL mechanically propelled vehicles.

The question was answered. Speeding is speeding irrespective of the vehicle in which you are caught.

If you have 7 points (irrespective of how you got them) park the bike and stick to the car.

If you have 12 points then no driving of anything..

Nothing complicated about it..

Who said anything about "speeding", there's more ways to pick up points, Gaybo.

This.

The learner permit for the new category in which you are learning will be held on a separate card, possibly with the same driver number.
    Sounds like the OP thinks that accumulating 19 points is good driving....poor chap.

Should have gone to Specsavers. .. :-)

Please feel free to quote me where I said (or even implied) that accumulating 19 points was "good driving".
    Dude, you're quite obviously an inexperienced driver. I wonder why you thinks it's okay to amass 17 points on 2 vehicle types.
    Are you still on your provisional? Less points so.

Again, please feel free to quote me where I said (or even implied) that accumulating 19 points was "good driving". I'm driving since 2009 FYI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

Iirc the six point disqualification only applies on your first category of licence. So you can have a full car licence and a learner permit and get 6+ points and still legally drive.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Iirc the six point disqualification only applies on your first category of licence. So you can have a full car licence and a learner permit and get 6+ points and still legally drive.

I have a full car license nearly 6 years, does that mean I'm exempt from the N plate or tabard if / when I passed my bus, lorry or motorbike test?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    No, you don't get a full bike/trailer or whatever license. Why would you???

That's my point. I woudl have a provisional bike \ trailer \ whatever license

But according to Dravokivich once you pass your first test then no more provisional
    You're arguing over semantics now. There isn't.

Advertisement