Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farrier / Horse-handler enquiring about work opportunities.

Options
  • 02-03-2017 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello!

I´m a farrier and a horse-handler originally from Finland, 30-years of age and just moved to Ireland few months ago to be with my Irish girlfriend and our new-born child.

I'm writing here to possibly gain some information if someone knows whereabouts in Ireland would be a good place to be for this line of work. We are currently living in Sallynoggin, South-Dublin but are on the lookout for a place to re-locate.

I was born around horses, come from a lineage of horse-handlers and trainers, and started to handle horses regularly at 13-years of age. When i was 16 i started my first job at a professional racing stable working with trotters of all age, from yearlings to be broken in to experienced racing horses and we had around 6 broodmares and a few stud´s at the stable as well. After few years there i moved on to work at other stables around Europe: Italy, Austria, Czech republic, Sweden and Finland and spend short-while in U.S as well, did this up till i was 27-years old and got uninterested in professional horse racing business. During that time i worked in the farms doing pretty much any kind of a job horse farm has, as a groom, broking in yearlings, assistant-trainer, individual trainer, horse-transport driver, farm-hand, and farrier. I started shoeing horses from since 16-years of age and age 27 to 29 i worked as a full time farrier in Sweden with some of the top trotter trainers in Sweden, such as: Peter & Johan Untersteiner, Petri Puro, Marlin Cheval (Marcus Lindgren). Also worked closely with and for a finnish veterinarian Kim Sell for 6 months in Finland getting more knowledge and understanding in alternative care for horses in high stress training and racing.

Nowadays im not interested in working in high stress environments such as professional racing stables, and have more of a feeling to do natural hoof-care as much as possible as a farrier. Also can offer horse-handling assistance and help for people having trouble dealing with any issues they might encounter with relationships with their horses, or just would like to get some tips on how to possibly improve their horse-handling skills.

Anyone that might know an area(s) in Ireland where such skills might be needed, please contact me [mod edit] by pm.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Moved from Animals & Pets.
    Please be aware a different charter now applies.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement