Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often should Chkdsk run?

Options
  • 03-03-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi, can someone tell me how often should chkdsk run?

Afaik it happened a few weeks ago, but it only happened this evening when Firefox crashed twice today & that's another problem in itself as it restarts the laptop, is it supposed to do that, as it's becoming a bit of a nuisance.

Also i decided to update Firefox when asked, as i was putting it off, as i've heard older versions work better & not as cloggy, but this one was more often freezing & using ctrl+alt+del to release it & taking sometimes upto 5-10m for the browser to start :o

Thanks for any advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Like that? Never.

Its your system realising its in trouble an attempting a repair. Drive is potentially on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

ED E wrote: »
    Like that? Never.

Its your system realising its in trouble an attempting a repair. Drive is potentially on the way out.

:eek:
    Could that be the reason, that the browser takes ages to kick in?

I do have an external hard disc drive attached to it, must move over the rest to it, what will happen to the laptop, when it eventually goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can have the hard disk replaced. Easy enough job. If it got too corrupted, might be better to have a fresh install of Windows. Your laptop will be as new after!

Or even better, replace your hard disk with a SSD (a same size hard disk as the one you have but without moving parts) and your laptop will be very fast and the data better protected and you're unlikely to suffer an issue like the above again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have you at least two backups of your data on different disks/media?

unkel wrote: »
    You can have the hard disk replaced. Easy enough job. If it got too corrupted, might be better to have a fresh install of Windows. Your laptop will be as new after!

Or even better, replace your hard disk with a SSD (a same size hard disk as the one you have but without moving parts) and your laptop will be very fast and the data better protected and you're unlikely to suffer an issue like the above again :)

I actually got it second hand, wouldn't have the windows disc?

What's an SSD, is that like an external hard disc drive, as i've heard there's another name on one, that updates automatically?
    beauf wrote: »
    Have you at least two backups of your data on different disks/media?

I have 2 external HDD's connected to the laptop, but i noticed today, that one of the HDD's was disconnected, could that have been the fault that the laptop was trying to fix with chkdsk:confused:

Must move over more stuff anyway, while i use picasa from time to time to upload pics, as i don't use 'Fussbook' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope, its not your externals failing. Its the main drive.

An SSD is a hard drive that uses the kind of memory you find in your phone or an SD Card in your camera. The impact is a computer that starts up in 40s on a HDD starts up in 4s on an SSD. It makes everything more responsive.

Have somebody technical image your dying disk over onto an SSD. Its an easy job, will save your data and make the machine very very responsive.

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, its not your externals failing. Its the main drive.

An SSD is a hard drive that uses the kind of memory you find in your phone or an SD Card in your camera. The impact is a computer that starts up in 40s on a HDD starts up in 4s on an SSD. It makes everything more responsive.

Have somebody technical image your dying disk over onto an SSD. Its an easy job, will save your data and make the machine very very responsive.

Apologies for late response, similar to my HDD :o
    I'm only getting around to replying, but what does the above mean,

I've already some moved over to the external HDD,
    Btw is that the same term for it, external HDD as SSD, as i must have picked that name from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What Ed E meant was to completely copy your existing HDD to an SSD and then swap out the faulty HDD with the SSD. Basically, the computer will not notice that it is booting from a different (but healthy) drive. And SSD drives are so much faster so your computer will boot faster and most programs will work faster.

Most SSD drives either come with or have links to download the cloning software. It's a fairly easy process to clone the drive - could take a few hours but most of it is just waiting for the data to copy over. All you have to do then is just remove the original drive and replace it with the SSD.
    I've already some moved over to the external HDD,
    Btw is that the same term for it, external HDD as SSD, as i must have picked that name from somewhere?

SSD means Solid State Drive. It is more like a Flash drive compared to an old HDD. The external HDD you got is probably a mechanical drive - slower than SSD.

This might explain it better than me lol

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hdd-versus-ssd-whats-the-diff/

Advertisement