Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and working in the motor trade

Options
  • 03-03-2017 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with people having insurance which allows people in the motor trade to drive their cars?

Is there any fine print? I work in the motor trade so does that mean i can drive peoples cars once it says this on their policy?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Usually it's a requirement that you are doing some work on the vehicle. So a test drive after a repair would be OK, but a Saturday night outside a pub and I wouldn't like your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Del2005 wrote: »
    Usually it's a requirement that you are doing some work on the vehicle. So a test drive after a repair would be OK, but a Saturday night outside a pub and I wouldn't like your chances.

I didnt mean it like that :p Just genuinely wondering am I covered, i've been doing work on a friends car recently and his policy claims as such but im working on it outside of garage hours (after work 7pm onwards) and wondering would i be covered for test drives and so on.

If i was on a genuine test drive and got pulled or came to a checkpoint how would i prove it is what im asking? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

brembo26 wrote: »
    If i was on a genuine test drive and got pulled or came to a checkpoint how would i prove it is what im asking? :confused:

With difficulty, TBH I wouldn't be too worried about getting stopped it's if you needed to use the cover that you'll run into serious issues.

True, Cheers!

Just wondering the legality because its certainly not explained anywhere that I can find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Unless the person borrowing my car has the Driving other cars extension will I hand over my keys

Motor trade policy can cover same risk

If you are wondering can u the motor trade staff can automatically drive other people's cars then read your T&C.. if stuck PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The car owner's policy usually covers driving by "Any person in the motor trade, who is driving with the insured's consent for purposes necessitated by the overhaul, upkeep and/or repair of the vehicle for the insured"

Therefore, if you are stopped (for example) at the beach, you may be asked to show evidence that you are in the motor trade and explain the reason you are there at that place and time. If they have any doubt that you are a bone-fide motor trader, they may ask you to produce your insurance and confirm what you have declared as your occupation to your insurers. Most employees in the motor trade are not granted the driving of other cars extension on their private car policies. If you are self employed with a specific motor trade policy, you can drive any vehicle inn your custody or control (within defined limits)

Advertisement