Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2017

Options
  • 03-03-2017 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Just woke up to find I'm in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Me too! Absolutely delighted, perfect place for number 10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Me too. Email received and a pending charge of 349 euro on my credit card - is that how much it costs?? I don't even remember. This is my first attempt at the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Very surprised to have got in also. Absolutely delighted.. Never been to NY so a bit of a dream really. Been on a cloud most of the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Enjoy folks, it's quite the experience. Nialler, I'm not sure I could cope with first time in NY being the time I did the marathon. Look up previous years' threads for advice on travel and logistics of the day itself. It's quite a challenge not to spend too much energy in the hours leading up to the race.

But mostly, enjoy!!

Itziger wrote: »
    Enjoy folks, it's quite the experience. Nialler, I'm not sure I could cope with first time in NY being the time I did the marathon. Look up previous years' threads for advice on travel and logistics of the day itself. It's quite a challenge not to spend too much energy in the hours leading up to the race.

But mostly, enjoy!!

I know.. I was meant to go a few years ago for my 40th but had the happy interruption of a 2nd baby arriving so plans were scuppered. Might be hard concentrating on the run... Now.... What to do with the kids for a week in November???? A nice problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Looking for advice 2013

I'm in too! Can't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Me too. Email received and a pending charge of 349 euro on my credit card - is that how much it costs?? I don't even remember. This is my first attempt at the lottery.

358 dollars for non USA entrants. Congrats for getting in, enjoy.

Just booked flights with Aer Lingus. All 5 of us going over for a week. Excitement already building - 14 yr old has started a countdown clock on her phone :)

We did something similar when we went. 4 of us, great excitement. I think I kept it under control but it is a tough one to do with all the razzmatazz surrounding the trip and the city. Enjoy the whole experience.

Finally decided what to do after much deliberation. It's developed into a full family trip. There's no escaping those pesky kids!!!! I still think they're too young for NY, 3 and 6 yrs of age. They're coming now anyway.
    Now, Looking for some advice from those that have done it before.
    Check a bag or post race poncho? I see they advise to get the poncho if you're used to races but not sure of the logistics of meeting people afterwards.
    Any advice would be welcome.

• Advertisement

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Finally decided what to do after much deliberation. It's developed into a full family trip. There's no escaping those pesky kids!!!! I still think they're too young for NY, 3 and 6 yrs of age. They're coming now anyway.
    Now, Looking for some advice from those that have done it before.
    Check a bag or post race poncho? I see they advise to get the poncho if you're used to races but not sure of the logistics of meeting people afterwards.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Nialler, I went with poncho, and what a poncho it is!! It saves you time and energy at the end. You still have to walk quite a little bit to get out of the park. You'll be coming out on the Upper WEST side. Check street number - I think it was about 70th. I arranged to meet the family there. Bear in mind they might have trouble crossing the park but taxis and metro still work. I'd google a bar/cafe/restaurant nearby as you or they might have to wait awhile. I arranged to meet on street corner and ended up hanging around for about 45 minutes! Could have done without that.

If you're getting the ferry across, go with the last possible time as you'll still have plenty in hand. If it's cold wear loads of extras that you can throw away/donate at start. Year I did it the weather was fine but at that hour of the morning.......

As for the kids, yeah they'll get tired in NY. You'll have to be smart with your planning. We went once, all 6 of us, and the youngest was not yet 3. Wasn't doing the marathon that time though. Have you sorted accommodation?

Just found this.

You will exit Central Park at the Post-Race Poncho exit at West 77th Street, approximately one-half mile past the finish line. You must show your wristband to use this exit.

You will reach this exit approximately 30 minutes after you cross the finish line. After you exit, you will receive an insulated, waterproof, wind-resistant poncho.

Please move outside the runners-only area to reunite with your friends and family.

I'm lucky as regards accommodation. We have friends living in Brooklyn who are putting us up. They have kids the same age as ours. Fingers crossed it'll work out. Hopefully he doesn't get moved back home by his job in the mean time!!!
    Do you get a tshirt at the finish line? Just thinking of walking round with the poncho over a soaked top for a while mightn't be a good idea... I'd get away with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Booked on the 7:30am ferry but reading loads of people saying the bus is better! Think I'll stick with the ferry tho

Trying to figure out which is the best option for me. I've always imagined going on the ferry so might stick with that as well.

Trying to figure out which is the best option for me. I've always imagined going on the ferry so might stick with that as well.

Dont know if you've seen it but this little site is a goldmine! http://runarweb.com/nycm_advice_e.php

jameshayes wrote: »
    Dont know if you've seen it but this little site is a goldmine! http://runarweb.com/nycm_advice_e.php

Gold dust!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I choose the 08:00 Ferry

We're staying in Brooklyn as well and I think we're near a subway, so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to get to the ferry terminal. I've booked the 7:30 a.m. ferry option and the poncho. When I did NY in 2011 I had to collect my bag and it took absolutely ages. And after waiting for ages, I didn't even change until I was back at the hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

jameshayes wrote: »
    Booked on the 7:30am ferry but reading loads of people saying the bus is better! Think I'll stick with the ferry tho

Depends on where you are starting from and how you get to the ferry. All things being equal I'd stay with the ferry. You can stand & walk a bit, there are bathrooms in the terminal.... altogether a more comfortable journey (though you do have to get on a bus for a short ride after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I'm lucky as regards accommodation. We have friends living in Brooklyn who are putting us up. They have kids the same age as ours. Fingers crossed it'll work out. Hopefully he doesn't get moved back home by his job in the mean time!!!
    Do you get a tshirt at the finish line? Just thinking of walking round with the poncho over a soaked top for a while mightn't be a good idea... I'd get away with everything else.

No, you get the race shirt at the expo, not the finish line.

Personally I chose the bag option as I'd rather have my own stuff available as I did not have anyone waiting for me and I was on public transport home. It is a longer walk after the finish line but not too bad. If you check a bag arrange to meet people further up on Central Park West (aka 8th avenue) if possible instead of doubling back to the family reunion area - just pick an intersection (probably low 80s).

Anyone worried about the weather...? looks like its going to be warm!

Sure ye never know till the few days beforehand, still too early to predict. I see it's pretty warm over there at the moment alright.
    Getting pretty excited about this now.. getting close..

Can't wait

Ok, this is beginning to feel real with the arrival of the confirmation form. I'm in the green wave at the start, COYBIG!!!! Apparently I need to avoid the sides of the bridge at the start due to inflated bladders.
    Anyone who's done the race before, what did you do about getting your breakfast in? Did you bring a bunsen burner on the ferry to heat up your porridge? Going to be a very early start!

Ok, this is beginning to feel real with the arrival of the confirmation form. I'm in the green wave at the start, COYBIG!!!! Apparently I need to avoid the sides of the bridge at the start due to inflated bladders.
    Anyone who's done the race before, what did you do about getting your breakfast in? Did you bring a bunsen burner on the ferry to heat up your porridge? Going to be a very early start!

Would definitely recommend ;)

Just eat a good early brekkie but bring something along with you too. I think I got to the 'holding area' about 7.30. Whatever way you look at it you're going to be on Staten Island for a few hours so yeah, bring a bite to eat and drink.

I'm in "Blue Wave 2 Corral C".. it is really scary how quick its coming around, feels like it should be months away!

I'm going to bring a shake that I normally make with me to the ferry (rolled oats mixed with protein) - I'm used to taking it before my long runs so I'm happy with that. Supposedly there are bagels in the holding area?

Nervous about travelling and running alone but with 1m spectators it shouldn't be too bad! :pac:

I'm in Orange Wave 3, Corral F. Dublin next week and then the big one!

Blue wave 3, corral F for me. Starting to get a teeny bit terrified now.... Kids are counting down the days (and hours!) till we're on our way... I remember from 2011 there were bagels and coffee at the starting area. It was absolutely freezing so remember to bring a few extra layers. I was told to try and rob the blanket you get on the plane, a handy tip!

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    Blue wave 3, corral F for me. Starting to get a teeny bit terrified now.... Kids are counting down the days (and hours!) till we're on our way... I remember from 2011 there were bagels and coffee at the starting area. It was absolutely freezing so remember to bring a few extra layers. I was told to try and rob the blanket you get on the plane, a handy tip!

I'll get one of the kids to rob it... they'll never take it out of a poor wee childs hands!!

Advertisement