Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

First time to run NY for me. Wave 1. Really looking forward to it now.

10 deg please and no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Ferris B wrote: »
    First time to run NY for me. Wave 1. Really looking forward to it now.

10 deg please and no wind.

Better do a bit of praying between now and then.. The guy I'm going to be staying with was out in the park sunning himself in 24 degrees yesterday..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Weather has changed and the pacer groups have changed - neither for the better (for me!)

pace groups: https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/NYCM17%20PaceChartWeb%20Rd4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Picked up my number at the expo yesterday, wasn't too busy. I'd say it'll be fairly mental today and tomorrow. Weather is currently 23 degrees and sunny, forecast for Sunday is 17-18 degrees with high humidity - where's the nice and mild, almost cold, November I was expecting?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

wow Flanagan looking so strong delighted for her great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Rachel is going well and keeping it steady
    30k done in 3:00:54, estimated finish 4.14.23

Ferris b finished in 3.23.49
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ferris and Niall you were really close on the tracker. Congratulations. Looking forward to details.

Nearly there Rachel!

C'mon Rachel, shes getting faster. 1 mile to go, estimated finish 4.13.30

Rachel - Finish time 4.13.04 Well done and with a great negative split!!!!

1st Halfway - 2.07.24,

2nd half - 2:05:40

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fab stuff Rachel. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Chatted to a lad from glasnevin who was running for crumlin hospital about 30k in - he had no idea at the time but he pulled me through a tough mile.. thanks whoever you are!

Thanks folks, so so happy with how my day went. Treated each 5k as a parkrun and aimed to get each one done in 30 mins. After each 5k I did a check - head, breathing, stomach, legs. Stomach started playing up around mile 21 but I slowed down a tiny bit and it came back under control. Another bit of a dodgy around mile 23 and 25 but kept breathing and telling myself I was fine. So I managed to run every step and not stop once AND I managed to get to the end of a marathon without throwing up! Very very happy Rachel :)

Delighted for you Rachel.. Well done.

Thoroughly enjoyed my day out in the big apple. This was never going to be a race for me (just as well, as training was far too relaxed and diet was atrocious) and treated it as a 'fun' run with no time pressures. Planned a 3:30 finish but the excitement got the better of me at the start and went out a bit fast which meant the last couple of miles weren't quite the easy run in I had thought for so I gained a few mins to come home in 3:23:49.

Was wearing an FDNY top which got me loads of shouts from the crowd which was a bit of fun. Bit of a cockup at the start for me, meant I missed my wave :(should have been in wave 1). As I wasn't racing it wasn't such big deal but there were others around me who were chasing sub 3's etc who missed their slot. It mean't I was at the front of the race for wave 2 which probably resulted in the speedie first few miles until I started catching wave 1 and spent the last 20 miles weaving and passing out 1000's runners. Came across 2 guys running in Irish tops and wished them well.

An amazing experience and recommended to all although not for a fast time. Although conditions were good for us (overcast with drizzle), it's a tough course with plenty of hills. The crowds are simply amazing though and really get into the spirit of the race.

Probably my last marathon but delighted to have to opportunity to finish out my marathon career in such an iconic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ferris B wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed my day out in the big apple. This was never going to be a race for me (just as well, as training was far too relaxed and diet was atrocious) and treated it as a 'fun' run with no time pressures. Planned a 3:30 finish but the excitement got the better of me at the start and went out a bit fast which meant the last couple of miles weren't quite the easy run in I had thought for so I gained a few mins to come home in 3:23:49.

Was wearing an FDNY top which got me loads of shouts from the crowd which was a bit of fun. Bit of a cockup at the start for me, meant I missed my wave :(should have been in wave 1). As I wasn't racing it wasn't such big deal but there were others around me who were chasing sub 3's etc who missed their slot. It mean't I was at the front of the race for wave 2 which probably resulted in the speedie first few miles until I started catching wave 1 and spent the last 20 miles weaving and passing out 1000's runners. Came across 2 guys running in Irish tops and wished them well.

An amazing experience and recommended to all although not for a fast time. Although conditions were good for us (overcast with drizzle), it's a tough course with plenty of hills. The crowds are simply amazing though and really get into the spirit of the race.

Probably my last marathon but delighted to have to opportunity to finish out my marathon career in such an iconic event.

Good man. May I ask why the last marathon?

Itziger wrote: »
    Good man. May I ask why the last marathon?

Short answer...Medical advice/opinion which relates to potential cardiac issues (stent fitted in 2014).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

wow, certainly a great day out, the support was absolutely unreal, tough course it must be said, the Ed Koch bridge was a ballbreaker

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Someone got a number transfer for the wrong category.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/11/new-york-city-bib-swapping-recipient-wins-first-age-group.html

You don't win the same category as K Switzer and expect to not be noticed. :D

robinph wrote: »
    Someone got a number transfer for the wrong category.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/11/new-york-city-bib-swapping-recipient-wins-first-age-group.html

You don't win the same category as K Switzer and expect to not be noticed. :D

Two lads in front of me in queue for buses on Staten Island were talking about a friend of theirs who sold his number for 250 dollars - they thought he should have got more. One said, I'd want 500 minimum...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Really enjoyed the day when it going. Did anyone else get held up at the bus terminal at Staten Island? I've heard very little about it online. If it happened here it would be all over the media. I was there for 90 mins before I got on a bus and missed my start and was very stressed before I got going. They were lucky there wasn't a riot as there was a bit of tension with people skipping the queue. Ended up going out like a bullet in the 2nd wave. Had a great run overall and it was all quickly forgotten about when I hit the road. Never seen anything like it for atmosphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the day when it going. Did anyone else get held up at the bus terminal at Staten Island? I've heard very little about it online. If it happened here it would be all over the media. I was there for 90 mins before I got on a bus and missed my start and was very stressed before I got going. They were lucky there wasn't a riot as there was a bit of tension with people skipping the queue. Ended up going out like a bullet in the 2nd wave. Had a great run overall and it was all quickly forgotten about when I hit the road. Never seen anything like it for atmosphere...
    yes, it was very busy, it took me about 75 minutes to get to the bus. People were getting annoyed, and loads of people bursting for the toilet aswell

Advertisement