Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HCP - Is it possible?

• 03-03-2017 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Since I seen the attached picture something keeps coming up to my mind...
    Perhaps more knowledgeable and qualified electricians can answer:

I have a tethered 16A HCP, an option I really like.

Moving to a 32A untethered so to be able to plug any of my friends' cars rather than just Leafs.

The plan is to plug permanently the current car charging cable and remove it only when needed. Buy a 10m charging cable and leave it in the car.

When I looked at the Charge Master unit inside a question came up to my mind...
    There is so much space in a socketed HCP.
    Can I not DIY a tethered cable after the board and before connecting the actual socket leaving me with the option to have a tethered cable and a socket fed by the same unit. Only one of the options will be used at a time so it would not affect the CP /or a device the splits the power in two when needed can be installed...Obviously, if doable, this will be done by an electrician.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm not an electrician, but standing back and taking a logical view on this I would say that technically, yes it can be done. However, my gut says it would be against the regs, as it has the potential of 2 EVs being plugged in at the same time and the device is being altered beyond its design.

Would it make more sense to have an adapter cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Boatmad did this to his charger so it can be done of course but expensive if you can't do this yourself. Electrician, plus cable and plug would be pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

My plan here is to keep the freebie from the usb and install a tethered 32A with an A/B switch or a priority switch inside in the garage.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

peposhi wrote: »
    Since I seen the attached picture something keeps coming up to my mind...
    Perhaps more knowledgeable and qualified electricians can answer:

I have a tethered 16A HCP, an option I really like.

Moving to a 32A untethered so to be able to plug any of my friends' cars rather than just Leafs.

The plan is to plug permanently the current car charging cable and remove it only when needed. Buy a 10m charging cable and leave it in the car.

When I looked at the Charge Master unit inside a question came up to my mind...
    There is so much space in a socketed HCP.
    Can I not DIY a tethered cable after the board and before connecting the actual socket leaving me with the option to have a tethered cable and a socket fed by the same unit. Only one of the options will be used at a time so it would not affect the CP /or a device the splits the power in two when needed can be installed...Obviously, if doable, this will be done by an electrician.

Any thoughts?

Its asking for trouble though isnt it?
    I know you say only one will be plugged in at a time but someday someone might make a mistake and plug two in... what happens then? Will it trip, will it mess up something in one of the cars, who knows!

And I'd agree with s.welstead, it wont come cheap unless you can do it yourself. Most electricians, i'd say, wouldnt have the knowledge of the inside of an EVSE to do it and the cable and Type 1 plug are not cheap either.

Buying a s/h unit and mounting them side by side would probably be easier and cheaper and safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I will use the current car cable for the tethered cable parts. Electrician is not a prob. It's the actual work that needs to be done I wish to have cleared up and be sure is doable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

peposhi wrote: »
    I will use the current car cable for the tethered cable parts. Electrician is not a prob. It's the actual work that needs to be done I wish to have cleared up and be sure is doable...

A PM to @BoatMad I'd say. He knows the protocols of an EVSE and the wiring etc.

Are you worried at all of two being plugged in by mistake at some point in the future? You cant be there all the time to supervise it and if its available it could easily happen.

I PMd him already, tha

Not really worried. As I believe once done right it should not be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Place some sort of switch between the tethered cable and socket. That way it's not possible for both to be live.

It's an interesting idea but for me personally i'd have the cable plugged in with the cable bolted to the wall. That prevents anyone stealing it and also allows you to pull it out if someone else needs to use the socket instead. Keeps it simple

Decision made.

Getting a cable to tether my HCP.
    Leaving the socket for friends and future.

What switch would be recommended to use to select either tethered of socket charging?

• Advertisement
Advertisement