Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer injured

Options
  • 03-03-2017 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Springer got run over yesterday afternoon, in our driveway. He's an old dog, 14 and stone deaf, so just an unfortunate incident no one to blame.

He's a part of the family, so we're devastated, not sure how he is going to fare out he is with the vet since

Thinking of two things if people could advise. 1, is there any chance of this turns out to be too expensive, that nargc insurance would cover any of it?
    2) in the event that he doesn't make it home, I have something in the back of my mind that we won't be allowed take him away home with is to bury him? Can't bear the thought of that, is this true?

Vet is worred about a burst bladder, he is due for x ray this morn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

I had to put down one of the old boys to sleep last year at 17 but there was no problem taken him home buried in the back garden now

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Take him home if the worst happens,you never know wheres theirs life theirs hope best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks for the advice guys, i thought I had heard that they did not allow release of a dead pet for burial at home anymore, obviously wrong, but hoping it's not relevant for us anyway, still waiting to hear from the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My sister's lab was put to sleep last year and there was no problem taking him home to be buried in her garden.
    I dread the day my dog goes, he's like a child to one and all. Sorry to hear about your plight, I hope it works out for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

I have 4 buried under a tree in front of house. 16.5 - 14.5 - 11.5 - and 15 years old. It is a killer and not something I would wish on anyone. Hope he pulls through to spend a few more years with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

My Labrador was 12 when I put him down a few weeks ago, I had to get my sister to bring him to the vets as she works for the GSPCA and it would have broken me and my wifes heart to be there when the vet put him down, he was then sent to the UK for incineration, its seems cold but it was the best way for me and my family, whatever you do, it will be the right decision.
    Regards

I believe there is a pet cremation service operating here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Hi my beagle has done her cruciate ligament in the knee does anyone know the cost and where could get her operated on??? She is 6.

Well, a week later he is still with us, at home and still not able to stand.

He's quite depressed, and can't go to the toilet etc so quite a handful, like having a baby TBH.

Anyone any advice on how to manage this best, bearing in mind he is and always has been a house dog, and we don't have a place to keep him outside overnight, he kind of needs 24hr attention, cleaning etc.

Dog nappies?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Hi my beagle has done her cruciate ligament in the knee does anyone know the cost and where could get her operated on??? She is 6.

• Advertisement

He's quite depressed, and can't go to the toilet etc so quite a handful, like having a baby TBH.

Anyone any advice on how to manage this best, bearing in mind he is and always has been a house dog, and we don't have a place to keep him outside overnight, he kind of needs 24hr attention, cleaning etc.

Dog nappies?

Verry hard one to call, a dog that has been use to running about and hunting and your best freind it must be hard for you to look at him in this state, its up to you but maybe its time to say goodbey i know i would be hanging on like your self ,but their comes a time when you have to let go .

What's the vet saying about his prognosis? Will he regain the ability to walk? Our lad had an incident a few years ago which resulted in paralysis. It was swift veterinary intervention that brought him through it. But there was a high chance of him needing surgery if the pharmaceutical route didn't work. The risk associated with the surgery was permanent and increased degrees of paralysis. Given the condition the dog was in we would have opted for surgery regardless of the risk.
    But we agreed that if he was left with the paralysis in his hind legs that the only humane option was to put him asleep. This is a dog that loves his walks and the freedom to roam the house to his various sleeping spots and realisticly we would not be able to provide the constant care needed to afford him good quality of life. My own sister used everything at her disposal to care for her dog in his latter life but when he became too ill to have a comfortable exsistance all personal feelings and emotions had to be put aside for the sake of the poor thing.
    It is and always will be a hard thing to contemplate for most of us, but sometimes we do have to remember that they are not humans no matter how much thier personalities say different and it is unfair in some circumstances to impose our perceptions onto their lives.

I write this to share my experiences with two beloved animals and by no means is it meant to criticize anyones beliefs and actions. I hope that in the case of the OP that you will not even have to contemplate the scenario I described and that very soon your dog will be enjoying the long evenings of early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bolster4103

I weirdly just came across this post. Not the same thing but might help. I/ the family had a springer for the last 17 years. Hunting over her for years too. On Tuesday night gone she became very sick. I waited until Wednesday to see if she improved but she didn't. I brought her to the vet Wednesday. She wasn't even able to walk and got a call that night saying her kidneys and liver failed. We had to get her put to sleep yesterday. The vet gave us 3 options. To take her home and bury her (free of charge). Have her sent for a group cremation (75euro). Or have her cremated alone and receive ashes (300euro). I choose to have her group cremated. When I went to the vets yesterday I got to see her before hand. She was full of life, complete different dog. The drugs they gave her were great. The first photo is of her Wednesday morning. The second was in the vets yesterday. Overall vets bill was 215 including cremation

Edit: she was also incontinent

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

Officially the vets are supposed to offer options like cremation etc, realistically most vets understand and allow the animal to be taken home and buried
    it's easier for everyone to take them home in my experience

Dog nappies?

Well, it looks like he is going to pull through :)

Got stronger medication of the vet on Firday, bought a vet blanket for his bedding, and got a bit more advice from the vet.

Started taking him outside, and wrapping a towel under his rear side like a hammock to support him and help him walk/stand up. So we would hold him up with the towel and he would stand on his front legs. He started to move around a bit and we followed him etc.

On sunday, he headed towards the lawn and relieved himself (and us :-) ).

He walked a few steps and then settled down, so this was him taking steps on his own. As it was a lovely day, I figured leave him outside for ten or twenty mins, and I headed inside.

A few minutes later, heard what we thought was the other springer come in the door, only to find it was himself, struggling, buut walked in. Need to keep him from over-doing it, but looks like he is on the mend god bless him.

Thanks all

Great News.

123shooter wrote: »
    Great News.

Cheers,

tbh, I am very attached to my dogs, but never figured Id be such a blubbering mess when I took him to the vet after he got run over. Thank god he is recovering now.

Brilliant news, great to hear it.

Great news hope theirs a few years left in the old boy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Great news!!! Brightened up my Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How is the dog doing?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    How is the dog doing?

Hi,

He is good now, still a bit to go, but walking around, able to go outside when he wants and stuff now. Still struggles to stand up at times and you have to help him, but he has come leaps and bounds, thanks for asking, and thanks everyone for their advice and support.

Advertisement