Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with wood polish

• 03-03-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Got a new set of banisters and painted the spindles white.
    The newel part and hands rails are mahogany.
    After pairing the spindles, I wiped the merchant with white spirits to get rid of the dust, but that left some dull patches.
    After applying boiled linseed oil, the dull patches are still showing through, like the oil didn't take in those areas.
    Is there anything I can do to bring it back to its original luster?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Br5d

You could seal it with a sanding sealer. Then when its dry wax and polish it, that should bring back the lustre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Guta10 wrote: »
    Got a new set of banisters and painted the spindles white.
    The newel part and hands rails are mahogany.
    After pairing the spindles, I wiped the merchant with white spirits to get rid of the dust, but that left some dull patches.
    After applying boiled linseed oil, the dull patches are still showing through, like the oil didn't take in those areas.
    Is there anything I can do to bring it back to its original luster?
    Thank you.

You probably should have given all the mahogany a sanding with 320 grit. I use white spirit to show up these exact problems. Given you only used oil, I'd sand that particular section back to get rid of the contaminant, then check again using methylated spirit, dries much more quickly. Hope this helps...

Advertisement