Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 1000

Options
  • 03-03-2017 11:43am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one have one?

Thinking of upgrading the 520 to this for the map features. I miss the 810 and being able to ramble away guided by the garmin.

Any good deals out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive been using one for the last year, have had no issues with it at all and battery life has been very good on it.

Syncs via the phone with no trouble and maps are very good but Ive only used them 4 or 5 times.

Purchased from one of the german bike sites.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How do you find the size. Its massive compared to the 520

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Why not 820? From what I can see, its almost the same, but smaller... ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

From the reviews I read the maps are hard to read on the 820 due to the screen size.

The reviews basically say if you want maps go with the 1000. If you want a decent computer but dont need turn by turn stuff go with the 520.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have the 800 and wish no more from the mapping functionality. But maybe with higher resolution of the 820's screen the readability changes... ?

• Advertisement

Possibly. Maybe the question is 820 vs 1000. The 820 wouldnt feel like an upgrade though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I'm used to the 1000 screen size now, don't find it big at all and I'd think if I went for a smaller screen I'd probely find it small.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

If you switch on turn by turn navigation on the 810, any time you approach a junction with a turn a simplified map showing the turn pops up. I find this perfectly adequate for navigation. I'd imagine the 820 works on a similar way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Alek wrote: »
    Why not 820? From what I can see, its almost the same, but smaller... ?

I can't comment on the 820 as such, but versus the likes of the 520, I think when you get down to the internal components, the 1000 is the Daddy.

If the 820 is a smaller version than the 1000, then fine, but versus the 520 etc the 1000 is much "quicker" for gradients etc.

Battery life is about 10 hours, and that's with all the toys turned off and brightness wayyyy down. If I was doing 200km I'd be bringing a USB charging yoke for peace of mind.

If you are into maps and stuff I'd imagine the 1000 is the way to go though, or one of those non-cycling garmin yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I've had the 1000 for a couple of years now, it seemed huge when I first got it (was upgrading from the 800), but as said above I don't notice it now.

Battery life is fine, unless you're getting into 10 hour plus spins, and the usual Garmin software issues that they seem to launch every device with have all been ironed out by now... Try handtec.co.uk for deals, I usually find them competitive.

• Advertisement

Statler wrote: »
    I've had the 1000 for a couple of years now, it seemed huge when I first got it (was upgrading from the 800), but as said above I don't notice it now.

Battery life is fine, unless you're getting into 10 hour plus spins, and the usual Garmin software issues that they seem to launch every device with have all been ironed out by now... Try handtec.co.uk for deals, I usually find them competitive.

Good price. Ordered and cancelled from amazon at the same price. And ordered again! Still thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    Good price. Ordered and cancelled from amazon at the same price. And ordered again! Still thinking about it

It was on sale on Canyon for the last few weeks (non-bundle)

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/?category=3414#id=49795

It's 370 there now. Think that might have been the sale price, not sure.

430 for the bundle and you could sell off the extras.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/?category=3414#id=49585

Advertisement