Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never Signed a contract

Options
  • 03-03-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

O was given a contract but never signed it as I wanted time to go through it in finer detail.

Do I have to abide by the conditions set out in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do you think you don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Why do you think you don't?

Beacause what's in the contract goes beyond statutory requirements and I never agreed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Beacause what's in the contract goes beyond statutory requirements and I never agreed to it.

You accepted the job knowing the terms of the contract. Your employer must give you a contract, you either accept or reject it, by taking the job you have accepted it, there is no requirement for a signature on the contract.

davo10 wrote: »
    You accepted the job knowing the terms of the contract. Your employer must give you a contract, you either accept or reject it, by taking the job you have accepted it, there is no requirement for a signature on the contract.

Well no actually. The contract was not supplied until almost 3 months after I started. When given it, I put a note in saying I wanted time to review it before accepting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You took the job didn't you?

No you don't have to stick by the contract but then neither does the employer.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    You took the job didn't you?

No you don't have to stick by the contract but then neither does the employer.

The employer has already pulled some dodgy stuff... I have a couple of other threads here

The employer has already pulled some dodgy stuff... I have a couple of other threads here

Leave so.

Leave so.

Ironically enough that's what I'm trying to do. :pac:

I gave statutory notice, employer wants more. They rang me with a abusive attitude earlier today over it :rolleyes:

Ironically enough that's what I'm trying to do. :pac:

I gave statutory notice, employer wants more. They rang me with a abusive attitude earlier today over it :rolleyes:

I've read some your previous threads and it just seems like you didn't like it from day one so you're better off out of it.

Why worry about fighting over the details would be my question?

They don't like you giving statutory notice, fine, nothing they can do about it.

I've read some your previous threads and it just seems like you didn't like it from day one so you're better off out of it.

Why worry about fighting over the details would be my question?

They don't like you giving statutory notice, fine, nothing they can do about it.

I loved the job, but disliked the management. I just think they are the vindictive type that woukd do something if they can.

I won't be looking for a reference off them so I'm not worried about that. Just trying to restrain myself from telling them to go f themselves.

• Advertisement

I loved the job, but disliked the management. I just think they are the vindictive type that woukd do something if they can.

I won't be looking for a reference off them so I'm not worried about that. Just trying to restrain myself from telling them to go f themselves.

Yeah, don't do that. :D Ireland is too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

davo10 wrote:

This isn't correct. No signature = no contract. Otherwise an employer could pop up any piece of paper and say that you agree to this also.

This isn't correct. No signature = no contract. Otherwise an employer could pop up any piece of paper and say that you agree to this also.

No contract, no job if employee rejects contract?

There is a legal requirement for employers to provide a contract, I have never come across legislation which says it must be signed or even agreed to. The employee does not have to sign it, but by not doing so and continuing to work there they are accepting the terms of the contract. If they don't accept the terms, then there is no job as they do not accept the terms offered by the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

If you have no contract and are well over a year in full time employment can the employer just drop a contract on you that outlines different conditions than you have been working up to now and literally expect you to leave or accept terms?

Would you have any recourse?

If you have no contract and are well over a year in full time employment can the employer just drop a contract on you that outlines different conditions than you have been working up to now and literally expect you to leave or accept terms?

Would you have any recourse?

Employer is supposed to give you a contract within a certain timeframe.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html

Advertisement