Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Gear

Options
  • 03-03-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Cycling the other night ended up soaked through to the bone! Puddles in shoes from the water running off the wet trousers. Can anyone point me in the direction of some decent waterproof gear that won't soak through in a 40ish minute cycle in the rain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I tend to get a good dry-bag and just get wet on the bike, changing at the destination.

I've used Ortlieb in the past, but these look interesting.

I've never found wet-gear that keeps me dry enough, and sweat-free enough, to make it worth-while.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Bought a pair of Endura overshoes this winter. Best I've ever worn. Warm and waterproof to the point you can hose off the crap after a ride.
    https://www.bikeexchange.ie/a/cycling-shoe-covers/endura/ireland/galway/endura-road-overshoe/2685?gclid=CI-Kg52qutICFeuc7QodRkYCTA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What I wear:
    Sprayway rain trousers with a zip up the side.
    Hiking-standard boots/shoes
    Full mudguard with mudflap on front wheel (mudflap makes a big difference)
    Rain hat (wearing a helmet would require a different solution)
    Montane featherlite smock

I always end up getting wet around the shoulders and back if the rain is heavy, so I bring a change of top in a sandwich bag in the pannier (two actually, but that's not strictly necessary), which is also handy for hot days. The smock dries out quickly and is usually ready for another trip within an hour or two.

The rain trousers are much more effective than the rain smock, but in the event of very heavy rain, the trousers do get wet. I usually just put up with this, but bringing a spare pair of trousers is, of course, possible.

Never have a problem with footwear or socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Problem with a trip of that length is you'd pretty much end up soaking wet anyway from the inside from sweating inside the waterproof gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Endura overshoes as linked above. Sprayway Packlite Goretex rain trousers with zips up the side. Altura Night Vision jacket. I use a pannier rather than a body mounted bag, so there is plenty of air circulation under the jacket. Not perfect, but pretty good even in heavy rain. If the rain is light, the overshoes and rain trousers stay in the pannier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My raingear has gotten lots of use this week.

Jacket - Montane Pertex shield.

Leggings - berghaus goretex

Overshoes - gore bike wear goretex

Gloves - gorebike wear windstopper

Aldi beany under the helmet

Advertisement