Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork behind Limerick for FDI growth

Options
  • 03-03-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this article and was wondering who is advocating for Cork as a place to invest? There seems to be a very active drive to make Limerick a serious contender for investment. Our politicians sitting on their hands as usual? I wonder if the Events Centre was planned for Limerick would we have the saga we've had to deal with here?

Limerick and Mid-West fastest growing region for FDI outside capital

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

They have a Minister for Finance from there who seems to be better at promoting his native place rather than what is in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I saw this article and was wondering who is advocating for Cork as a place to invest? There seems to be a very active drive to make Limerick a serious contender for investment. Our politicians sitting on their hands as usual? I wonder if the Events Centre was planned for Limerick would we have the saga we've had to deal with here?

There are no stats to back up the headline in the article. If you go to the IDA website the official stats don't match what the headline is saying http://www.idaireland.com/docs/annual-reports/2015/annual_report_2015.pdf unless they have access to the 2016 figures which aren't publicly available yet

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Limerick was coming from a very low base and there is significant pressure put on the IDA to place Limerick as a priority area. Having Noonan helps, a lot of PR coming from Limerick at the moment but most of it is just exaggerated.
    The fact is that Cork has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, the highest rate of IDA job growth in the country, of the top 20 IDA employers 13 of them have bases in Cork and Cork is an easier place to sell generally due to the vast difference in the softer factors such as cultural activities, lifestyle, clusters of foreign workers.
    You can't really compare the two there are 400,000 living within a 20 mile radius of Cork City Centre, about 100,000 in Limerick.
    Cork has significant clusters in Pharma, Bio Pharma, ICT, Marine, Energy, Financial services, IT Security, Med Tech, Engineering, etc. Limerick may have one or two employers in some of these areas but not clusters.
    Ask anyone in the recruitment industry it's very difficult to get people to move to Limerick as besides the lifestyle issues if you move there, there will be very little opportunity to move to another employer in the same industry as there simply isn't the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Good to see Limerick doing well, at last. However, this notion that Cork should feel threatened or that Limerick is steaming ahead is simply nonsense. It is a long long way behind Cork on many levels. There's lots of positive pr coming from Limerick but it needs a serious amount of growth and improvement to be considered anywhere close to cork. It's a different league to be honest. In economic and demographic terms, Limerick is about one third the size of Cork.

Relax Corkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Cork does well. let limerick get some attention for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

rebs23 wrote: »
    Limerick was coming from a very low base and there is significant pressure put on the IDA to place Limerick as a priority area. Having Noonan helps, a lot of PR coming from Limerick at the moment but most of it is just exaggerated.
    The fact is that Cork has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, the highest rate of IDA job growth in the country, of the top 20 IDA employers 13 of them have bases in Cork and Cork is an easier place to sell generally due to the vast difference in the softer factors such as cultural activities, lifestyle, clusters of foreign workers.
    You can't really compare the two there are 400,000 living within a 20 mile radius of Cork City Centre, about 100,000 in Limerick.
    Cork has significant clusters in Pharma, Bio Pharma, ICT, Marine, Energy, Financial services, IT Security, Med Tech, Engineering, etc. Limerick may have one or two employers in some of these areas but not clusters.
    Ask anyone in the recruitment industry it's very difficult to get people to move to Limerick as besides the lifestyle issues if you move there, there will be very little opportunity to move to another employer in the same industry as there simply isn't the choice.
    as a limerick person who loves cork my grandmother came from cork and I am being honest here Limerick has being a underdog for maybe a 100 years but this guy called chuck feeney give 200m generosity to university of Limerick why did he do that he said he loved the underdog and Limerick city and ul now is massive its like a city its self and its just less than 30 years old but all of the other cities took the eye of ball and that is where the underdog comes in with all the crime that was happening in Limerick city no one seeing this coming the underdog rise of Limerick City its on the up big time and that is being honest and the motorway from cork to limerick would be great for both cities and I love Munster rugby Cork and Limerick people are the much the same down to earth There is a lot of cork people living in Limerick city in recent years maybe this is over house prices are cheaper in limerick but cork is a Great city and we should work together like we did with Munster rugby .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

as a limerick person who loves cork my grandmother came from cork and I am being honest here Limerick has being a underdog for maybe a 100 years but this guy called chuck feeney give 200m generosity to university of Limerick why did he do that he said he loved the underdog and Limerick city and ul now is massive its like a city its self and its just less than 30 years old but all of the other cities took the eye of ball and that is where the underdog comes in with all the crime that was happening in Limerick city no one seeing this coming the underdog rise of Limerick City its on the up big time and that is being honest and the motorway from cork to limerick would be great for both cities and I love Munster rugby Cork and Limerick people are the much the same down to earth There is a lot of cork people living in Limerick city in recent years maybe this is over house prices are cheaper in limerick but cork is a Great city and we should work together like we did with Munster rugby .

Chuck Feeney donated a total of 2 billion to Irish causes including various amounts to all the significant universities with UL getting €180m.

NUIG (€39.7m); UCC (€79.1m); DCU (€112.8m); Trinity College Dublin (€80.6m); UCD (€31.4m); NUI Maynooth (€29.3m); and Queen’s University Belfast (€116.8m)

zetalambda wrote: »
    Chuck Feeney donated a total of 2 billion to Irish causes including various amounts to all the significant universities with UL getting €180m.

NUIG (€39.7m); UCC (€79.1m); DCU (€112.8m); Trinity College Dublin (€80.6m); UCD (€31.4m); NUI Maynooth (€29.3m); and Queen’s University Belfast (€116.8m)
    Chuck Feeney What a nice Guy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

A motorway between Cork and Limerick would be a massive boost for both cities - it's the only way to create a conurbation to offer a feasible alternative to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    A motorway between Cork and Limerick would be a massive boost for both cities - it's the only way to create a conurbation to offer a feasible alternative to Dublin.

A decade away at least. Meanwhile the final stage of the Limerick - Galway motorway will be completed in 2018.

• Advertisement

I live in cork but I am not a local , think limerick has a buzz to it and people are not as stand offish as cork people are - great when they get to know you but not overly friendly until then. Took me about 2 years to get used to that.

However as much as I love limerick , its physical environment is very poor. You could drive down a nice road and then around the corner its an eyesore . Every approach road - Ennis / Dublin / Dock Road is grim and creates terrible impression of place.

the inner city of Cork can be shabby but at least the approach roads create decent impression

goochy wrote: »
    I live in cork but I am not a local , think limerick has a buzz to it and people are not as stand offish as cork people are - great when they get to know you but not overly friendly until then. Took me about 2 years to get used to that.

However as much as I love limerick , its physical environment is very poor. You could drive down a nice road and then around the corner its an eyesore . Every approach road - Ennis / Dublin / Dock Road is grim and creates terrible impression of place.

the inner city of Cork can be shabby but at least the approach roads create decent impression
    Cork city has a university of cork established 1845 v limerick university 1972 that is over a 117 years ahead of limerick city that is why in my first post limerick city was the underdog just think if cork city just got university in 1972? that is why limerick fell so far behind in the last 100 years but not now its on the rise as the underdog its one to watch big time and yes a lot of limerick city is run down to be honest cork city is nicer on the eye that is 100 per cent I am limerick person saying this plus I have very good friends from cork city and to say there are very nice people down to earth. like Patrick street in limerick is a eye sore But on the outskirts of limerick city looks well and there is some Great Walks but this motorway from cork to limerick would very positive for both cities when will it even start to try to take on Dublin like we did with the Munster rugby we need to link up our cities with a motorway today not tomorrow if that was Dublin with out a motorway to Belfast do you think this would happen ?

Aside from the empty shops around o Connell street I think limerick being a Georgian city is more attractive than cork its the outskirts of limerick that are a problem . If a tourist visited limerick and no where else in Ireland they would say ireland is a very poor place.
    I pass through Waterford city alot it has employment problems but it's easy on the eye . It looks like a relatively prosperous place even though it isn't.

Aside from the empty shops around o Connell street I think limerick being a Georgian city is more attractive than cork its the outskirts of limerick that are a problem . If a tourist visited limerick and no where else in Ireland they would say ireland is a very poor place.
    I pass through Waterford city alot it has employment problems but it's easy on the eye . It looks like a relatively prosperous place even though it isn't.
    limerick a lot of them Georgian buildings would be nice but the have been left very run down why because most of the people in the limerick city council are from Tipperary/Clare . Yes Waterford city does look nice on the eye and has be left down the should have university yes o connell street there empty shops there tourist limerick city we do not get many tourist over the bad name stab city but when i do meet tourist the love st marys cathedral in limerick city which is very beautiful church and king johns castle is a great castle but cork city has a great buzz

Don't forget though as much as I like cork it is an insular city not very international , limerick actually feels like a bigger city and limerick make better use of their river setting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick even closer to a giant traffic jam then.

The M20 will hopefully be pushed on when the new Taoiseach takes over. The net benefit of connecting Limerick and Galway is miniscule compared to the benefits of the M20. The M28 needs to be pushed on too for connectivity to Ringaskiddy, both the port and the companies out there.

marno21 wrote: »

The M20 will hopefully be pushed on when the new Taoiseach takes over. The net benefit of connecting Limerick and Galway is miniscule compared to the benefits of the M20. The M28 needs to be pushed on too for connectivity to Ringaskiddy, both the port and the companies out there.
    Very True Well Said:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well you'd think the M20 would be a priority project then but it was left of the Capital Plan up to 2021 which was announced last year. It came up in the Dail this week and Shane Ross fobbed it off - basically saying they were looking into restarting the planning process for the M20 but that there was zero funding allocated. It'll be mid-2020s before we'll see any significant progress on the M20 project at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

TBH Goochy Cork feels twice as big as Limerick, number of streets, quays, inner city size etc. Limerick has some very nice Georgian buildings but it just has a few wide straight streets which need more commercial activity, it needs to expand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Well you'd think the M20 would be a priority project then but it was left of the Capital Plan up to 2021 which was announced last year. It came up in the Dail this week and Shane Ross fobbed it off - basically saying they were looking into restarting the planning process for the M20 but that there was zero funding allocated. It'll be mid-2020s before we'll see any significant progress on the M20 project at the earliest.

Have a look in the Roads forum sometime if you get the chance we've a fairly comprehensive thread on the M20.

Most people know about the importance of the M20 but the current shower of ****wits are incredibly ignorant about the problem, especially with the amount of people killed on the road last year.

Most aren't aware of Kenny's comments when visiting Cork last year; that Cork needs to lose its sense of entitlement about a motorway to Limerick because it got a motorway to Dublin. (Perhaps he doesn't know that the M8 received EU funding and as a TEN-T core route had to be built as motorway anyway - wonder if the same logic can be applied to the money being shovelled into the upgrade of the N5 road to Mayo)

• Advertisement

Don't forget though as much as I like cork it is an insular city not very international , limerick actually feels like a bigger city and limerick make better use of their river setting

55,000 people in Cork City and County speak a language other than English at home. More than 15 percent in the city are born outside of Ireland. Cork had a Jewish Lord Mayor whose descendants fled a pogrom in Limerick. 7000 people moved to Cork City between 2011 and 2016 a lot of them foreign workers for the tech sector in the city. Cork has always traded internationally due to the port.
    There's more English people living in Cork than any other Irish county. I could go on but there is no comparison whatsoever if you want to talk about an international feel, none. Limerick needs good pr at the moment but some of it is just delusional. Limerick is about 3 times smaller than Cork with very little diversity in comparison.

55,000 people in Cork City and County speak a language other than English at home. More than 15 percent in the city are born outside of Ireland. Cork had a Jewish Lord Mayor whose descendants fled a pogrom in Limerick. 7000 people moved to Cork City between 2011 and 2016 a lot of them foreign workers for the tech sector in the city. Cork has always traded internationally due to the port.
    There's more English people living in Cork than any other Irish county. I could go on but there is no comparison whatsoever if you want to talk about an international feel, none. Limerick needs good pr at the moment but some of it is just delusional. Limerick is about 3 times smaller than Cork with very little diversity in comparison.
    limerick city population 95854 v cork city population 119230 so cork is bigger by 23376 people that why underdog limerick city but as I am limerick city I can 100 per cent see change in the air limerick about the Jewish mayor that was wrong it was the church who got the mob to run sum of the Jews out sum of the Jews not all there is still a lot of Jewish people in limerick city /clare who I know who I know to this day all of the Jewish are very welcome in limerick city today and have business here limerick we also have thousands of foreigners who love limerick that is like me saying the English where ran out of cork over 100 years ago that was history like what happen the in limerick 100 years ago is that also was history.limerick has a lot big players set in last few years Uber Nortern trust Analog devices cook Ireland dell Johnson a Johnson Rregeneron pharmaceutical have a look at that set up the would never have never came to limerick 30 years ago we had no university of Limerick this why underdog Limerick city is the one to watch.

limerick city population 95854 v cork city population 119230 so cork is bigger by 23376 people that why underdog limerick city but as I am limerick city I can 100 per cent see change in the air limerick about the Jewish mayor that was wrong it was the church who got the mob to run sum of the Jews out sum of the Jews not all there is still a lot of Jewish people in limerick city /clare who I know who I know to this day all of the Jewish are very welcome in limerick city today and have business here limerick we also have thousands of foreigners who love limerick that is like me saying the English where ran out of cork over 100 years ago that was history like what happen the in limerick 100 years ago is that also was history.limerick has a lot big players set in last few years Uber Nortern trust Analog devices cook Ireland dell Johnson a Johnson Rregeneron pharmaceutical have a look at that set up the would never have never came to limerick 30 years ago we had no university of Limerick this why underdog Limerick city is the one to watch.
    Population of cork city and suburbs is 180000 according to census 2011 which excludes many outlying suburbs, pop of limerick city and suburbs is 92000. You have used the wrong comparison not comparing like with like.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=population+of+ireland+cities&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cork City Metro is about 250k. Dwarfs Limerick at only 92k.

Population of cork city and suburbs is 180000 according to census 2011 which excludes many outlying suburbs, pop of limerick city and suburbs is 92000. You have used the wrong comparison.
    google for 2017 both cities cork /limerick what the limerick leader is saying 6 aug 2016 council moves to clarify population of limerick city the population limerick to rise by 80%per cent next year when final results of the latest census are published limerick metropolitan area is 105,326 ...... and cork city is 125,622 so cork is bigger than limerick by 20296 people

Foreigners aren't very good at integrating and cork people take time to get to know so it's considered an insular place . Ever wondered why unlike galway and dublin cork is not known as party place ? It's reserved much more so than dublin limerick and Galway. I love the place and it suits my personality ! But you can sense a difference

Cork City Metro is about 250k. Dwarfs Limerick at only 92k.
    okay just google 2017 results you will this is not the case any more as I said Limerick City is the underdog other cities took the eye of the ball.

okay just google 2017 results you will this is not the case any more as I said Limerick City is the underdog other cities took the eye of the ball.

It's 13k higher that the figure you originally quoted. Cork City Metro is still more than twice the size.

Please expand on this point

• Advertisement

Please expand on this point

Makes no sense given Cork City population growth is higher than Limerick on the last census.

Advertisement