Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork behind Limerick for FDI growth

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

marno21 wrote: »
    Please expand on this point
    okay I Limerick city has a new name limerick city metropolitan city metropolitan district but also since this all new the 2016 census has to be update the new figures /results due to be published april 2017 by the census 2016 Limerick leader had article aug 6 2016 council moves to clarify population of limerick city you can google this article by name if sum one wants to put a link you can see this . .and what I say by underdog is what most who I know think this plus chuck feeney give ul that 200 m because he said loved the underdog and I love the underdog limerick city

Makes no sense given Cork City population growth is higher than Limerick on the last census.
    Limerick city/ New limerick city metropolitan city district results are due to be published April 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Took a look at the fdi company listings per region (just google ida ireland companies), and its fairly eye-opening stuff.

Cork seems to have about 5 times (if not more) more fdi companies than Limerick, take a look, just select sector and region, very interesting.

ICT fdi sector
    Cork = 33 companies
    Limerick = 9 companies

Bio Pharma fdi sector
    Cork = 31 companies
    Limerick = 4 companies

I looked at the most common fdi sectors, but need I say any more. Limerick needs to wake up to reality and try and market itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cork city has a university of cork established 1845 v limerick university 1972 that is over a 117 years ahead of limerick city that is why in my first post limerick city was the underdog just think if cork city just got university in 1972? that is why limerick fell so far behind in the last 100 years but not now its on the rise as the underdog its one to watch big time and yes a lot of limerick city is run down to be honest cork city is nicer on the eye that is 100 per cent I am limerick person saying this plus I have very good friends from cork city and to say there are very nice people down to earth. like Patrick street in limerick is a eye sore But on the outskirts of limerick city looks well and there is some Great Walks but this motorway from cork to limerick would very positive for both cities when will it even start to try to take on Dublin like we did with the Munster rugby we need to link up our cities with a motorway today not tomorrow if that was Dublin with out a motorway to Belfast do you think this would happen ?

You make some good points but Munster rugby seriously???

limerick city population 95854 v cork city population 119230 so cork is bigger by 23376 people that why underdog limerick city but as I am limerick city I can 100 per cent see change in the air limerick about the Jewish mayor that was wrong it was the church who got the mob to run sum of the Jews out sum of the Jews not all there is still a lot of Jewish people in limerick city /clare who I know who I know to this day all of the Jewish are very welcome in limerick city today and have business here limerick we also have thousands of foreigners who love limerick that is like me saying the English where ran out of cork over 100 years ago that was history like what happen the in limerick 100 years ago is that also was history.limerick has a lot big players set in last few years Uber Nortern trust Analog devices cook Ireland dell Johnson a Johnson Rregeneron pharmaceutical have a look at that set up the would never have never came to limerick 30 years ago we had no university of Limerick this why underdog Limerick city is the one to watch.
    lots of the new jobs do not come in under likes of the IDA Ireland like UBER thats not on the IDA list and many more plus Shannon airport Shannon Industrial estate just next to limerick city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Limerick should forget trying to compare itself to Cork. It should look at trying to grow its population and increase it economy. Internationally speaking Limerick is a large town, Cork is a small city. Only need to walk around both places to understand.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Limerick should forget trying to compare itself to Cork. It should look at trying to grow its population and increase it economy. Internationally speaking Limerick is a large town, Cork is a small city. Only need to walk around both places to understand.
    are you from dublin our galway?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Limerick doesn't know how to use punctuation!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

This thread is a perfect example of the rampant delusion in Limerick. It actually believes it's own spin and PR.
    There are three ways of measuring the population of an Irish City, the population of the City Council area, the population of the City and Suburbs and the population of the Metropolitan area.
    The City Council area and the City and suburbs are the ones the CSO use while the Metropolitan area is defined by the Councils themselves and are not used by the CSO.
    The population of Cork City Council area is 125,000 (Census 2016) while the population of the former Limerick City Council area is 58,000.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpr/censusofpopulation2016-preliminaryresults/copc/

The population of Cork City and suburbs is according to the 2011 results (2016 results on City and Suburbs should be published shortly) is 198,000.
    http://census.cso.ie/areaprofiles/PDF/ST/corkcityandsuburbs.pdf
    The population of Limerick City and suburbs is 91,000. http://census.cso.ie/areaprofiles/PDF/ST/limerickcityandsuburbs.pdf

These are statistical facts. There is at least a difference of over 100,000 probably more now due to the greater population growth in Cork. See here for an article from the Limerick Leader on the stagnation of population growth in Limerick. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/201066/Population-of-Limerick-city-and-suburbs.html

The Metropolitan area is the most favoured by Cities to illustrate their greater urban population. If you use this method to compare population growth the difference is even greater. See here for a quick comparison; Limerick ;
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=population+of+limerick+metropolitan+area+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=yhHFWMnMCeWcgAat1p6wDA
    Cork https://www.google.ie/search?q=population+of+limerick+metropolitan+area+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=yhHFWMnMCeWcgAat1p6wDA

If you compare the metropolitan populations the contrast is pretty amazing more than 240,000 of a population difference Limerick at 160,000 (a very generous figure) and Cork metro at 400,000.
    Cork City and County population 542,000, Limerick City and County 190,000 or another stat for you between 2002 and 2016 the population of Cork City and County grew by 100,000 people, mainly in the city suburbs/commuter towns, more than the entire population of Limerick City and suburbs.

I could get into the population stats and demographical differences in terms of ethnic profile but that again would only show the huge differences between the ethnic populations of both cities.
    There really is no comparison and Limericks biggest problem is that Galway City will probably overtake Limerick's population within 20 years if the current rates of growth continue.

rebs23 wrote: »
    This thread is a perfect example of the rampant delusion in Limerick. It actually believes it's own spin and PR.
    There are three ways of measuring the population of an Irish City, the population of the City Council area, the population of the City and Suburbs and the population of the Metropolitan area.
    The City Council area and the City and suburbs are the ones the CSO use while the Metropolitan area is defined by the Councils themselves and are not used by the CSO.
    The population of Cork City Council area is 125,000 (Census 2016) while the population of the former Limerick City Council area is 58,000.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpr/censusofpopulation2016-preliminaryresults/copc/

The population of Cork City and suburbs is according to the 2011 results (2016 results on City and Suburbs should be published shortly) is 198,000.
    http://census.cso.ie/areaprofiles/PDF/ST/corkcityandsuburbs.pdf
    The population of Limerick City and suburbs is 91,000. http://census.cso.ie/areaprofiles/PDF/ST/limerickcityandsuburbs.pdf

These are statistical facts. There is at least a difference of over 100,000 probably more now due to the greater population growth in Cork. See here for an article from the Limerick Leader on the stagnation of population growth in Limerick. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/201066/Population-of-Limerick-city-and-suburbs.html

The Metropolitan area is the most favoured by Cities to illustrate their greater urban population. If you use this method to compare population growth the difference is even greater. See here for a quick comparison; Limerick ;
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=population+of+limerick+metropolitan+area+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=yhHFWMnMCeWcgAat1p6wDA
    Cork https://www.google.ie/search?q=population+of+limerick+metropolitan+area+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=yhHFWMnMCeWcgAat1p6wDA

If you compare the metropolitan populations the contrast is pretty amazing more than 240,000 of a population difference Limerick at 160,000 (a very generous figure) and Cork metro at 400,000.
    Cork City and County population 542,000, Limerick City and County 190,000 or another stat for you between 2002 and 2016 the population of Cork City and County grew by 100,000 people, mainly in the city suburbs/commuter towns, more than the entire population of Limerick City and suburbs.

I could get into the population stats and demographical differences in terms of ethnic profile but that again would only show the huge differences between the ethnic populations of both cities.
    There really is no comparison and Limericks biggest problem is that Galway City will probably overtake Limerick's population within 20 years if the current rates of growth continue.
    Limerick city new limerick city Metropolitan city District results due to be published in April 2017 next month I am taking about cities not county and your facts are out of date this has yet to be published about new limerick city Metropolitan next month April 2017 we are in March one more month to go and then see where you out dated facts are you have won the race before it starts with your old outdated facts .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Limerick city new limerick city Metropolitan city District results due to be published in April 2017 next month I am taking about cities not county and your facts are out of date this has yet to be published about new limerick city Metropolitan next month April 2017 we are in March one more month to go and then see where you out dated facts are you have won the race before it starts with your old outdated facts .
    They are not outdated. Figures quoted include 2016 census and most of the figures quoted are for the City's. You really don't seem to understand statistics or how to compare like with like. Even if the CSO recognises the new Limerick metropolitan area as defined by the council it still doesn't change the population difference in the comparative analysis. Cork City Council boundary only covers half of Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

They are not outdated. Figures quoted include 2016 census and most of the figures quoted are for the City's. You really don't seem to understand statistics or how to compare like with like. Even if the CSO recognises the new Limerick metropolitan area as defined by the council it still doesn't change the population difference in the comparative analysis. Cork City Council boundary only covers half of Cork City.

As you say, this really isn't that hard to understand. Especially if punctuation is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

Seems to be a push by some mid-western talking head types like that ex-Department of Finance guy John Moran to push Limerick as the main counterpoint for population and economic growth to Dublin.

Seems silly, Cork by dint of its size is the only city outside of the Dublin - Belfast corridor which could fulfil that role. Perhaps as the 'anchor' in Cork/Limerick/Galway axis.

Yes your Facts are out dated and the new Facts will be on show from April 2017 when the new figures and facts are out next month then you facts will not be relevant as we will now have new facts and figures so give the underdog Limerick City a chance and be happy with the new facts in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Yes your Facts are out dated and the new Facts will be on show from April 2017 when the new figures and facts are out next month then you facts will not be relevant as we will now have new facts and figures so give the underdog Limerick City a chance and be happy with the new facts in April.

But, there won't be 'new facts out in April'. Sorry fella but the census won't be showing anything new. It'll show updated Population figures for the city and environs for all cities and towns. This won't be a magic bullet for Limerick I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Some initial results from the 2016 census regarding population change. I didn't see any result for Metropolitan Cork, which really should be the headline
    figure for Cork City in regards to investment, promotion etc.

2011 on left 2016 on the right
    E2LjdgK.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Limerick is doing relatively well now, but it went from around 1992-2007 and got practically no jobs, but a lot of closures. Hence the city hasn't really grown in decades. Willie O Dea was the main local politician then, but he was more concerned in fixing toilet bowl seats for punters than trying to promote the region. Noonan is far more capable.

Lesson here is: Parish pump politics unfortunately does pay off.

actually found it on the pdf

nvf9WQ8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

nvf9WQ8.jpg

That isn't the figure for the metropolitan area. That's city and suburbs only. The continuous urban area.
    Today's release is only a summary. Don't think metropolitan areas were included in today's release.

nvf9WQ8.jpg

Looking at that, Dublin is 5 times bigger than Cork, and Cork is bigger than the other 3 cities put together. Says a lot about planning in this country.

• Advertisement

podmu80 wrote: »
    That isn't the figure for the metropolitan area. That's city and suburbs only. The continuous urban area.
    Today's release is only a summary. Don't think metropolitan areas were included in today's release.

it's the closest we will get for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Rightwing wrote: »
    Looking at that, Dublin is 5 times bigger than Cork, and Cork is bigger than the other 3 cities put together. Says a lot about planning in this country.

You can double the Cork figure if you use the Metropolitan area though. It was 400k in the last census and given the upward trend of city & suburbs it's probably at 420k now.

I think the Dublin metro figure would add about 6/700k to Dublin too.

You can double the Cork figure if you use the Metropolitan area though. It was 400k in the last census and given the upward trend of city & suburbs it's probably at 420k now.

You can also probably add on another 800K on to Dublin. I'd say it must be close on 2m.

Limerick city population has declined over the last 50 years, (albeit offset by growth in suburbs), but anyone thinking Limerick is doing great is way off. What it has done recently is, reversed the decline. Being from Limerick though, it does have good potential, as have most Irish cities, assuming the world economy stays strong, which I doubt.

Just saw your 6/700K on Dublin, I would agree on that.

You can also probably add on another 800K on to Dublin. I'd say it must be close on 2m.

Limerick city population has declined over the last 50 years, (albeit offset by growth in suburbs), but anyone thinking Limerick is doing great is way off. What it has done recently is, reversed the decline. Being from Limerick though, it does have good potential, as have most Irish cities, assuming the world economy stays strong, which I doubt.

Just saw your 6/700K on Dublin, I would agree on that.

It's definitely working from a different base, but Limerick has the advantage of location. It's relatively close to most places and well connected. The motorway IMO would help Limerick and Cork, but if rumours are to be believed, certain politicians from Limerick are not in favour. If true, that's the sort of mentality that will hold it back.

So where are these facts you talk of showing Limerick bridging the gap. All the actual stats show Corks population growing at a faster rate than Limerick and pulling away.

Yes your Facts are out dated and the new Facts will be on show from April 2017 when the new figures and facts are out next month then you facts will not be relevant  as we will now have new facts and figures so give the underdog Limerick City a chance and be happy  with the new facts in April.

So where are these facts you talk of showing Limerick bridging the gap.  All the actual stats show Corks population growing at a faster rate than Limerick and pulling away.
    The truth is it's not really comparable. The GDP contribution from the Cork area is also multiple times higher than Limerick. Limerick should aim to be as big as it can be, but it should not be a concern to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The CSO doesn't report the metropolitan Cork or the wider city region figures, but these can easily be calculated. Here they are for city, city and suburbs, metropolitan and city region levels, for 2002-2016POPCORK.jpg

The Metropolitan area - the city and the satellite towns - is growing very quickly and it is good to see the city centre and city return to growth. There is a clear case from this data that Cork is the only city with enough scale to help counterbalance the state. The Cork metropolitan area - if it were a separate local authority - would be the second largest unit in the state -(305,000) after Dublin city council.

The growth in the wider city region between 2002-2016 - circa 80,000 - alone is larger than the total population of quite a few counties - like Offaly/Cavan. Notably, the city region's growth in that period is greater than the population of any of the other 3 cities - Limerick, Galway, Waterford.

mire wrote: »
    The CSO doesn't report the metropolitan Cork or the wider city region figures, but these can easily be calculated. Here they are for city, city and suburbs, metropolitan and city region levels, for 2002-2016POPCORK.jpg

That city region figure takes in a huge amount of area around the city and is more of a commuter belt figure if anything.

That Metro figure which takes in the line of Ballincollig and Carrigaline is a true representation of the size of the city IMO.

It's definitely working from a different base, but Limerick has the advantage of location. It's relatively close to most places and well connected. The motorway IMO would help Limerick and Cork, but if rumours are to be believed, certain politicians from Limerick are not in favour. If true, that's the sort of mentality that will hold it back.

Another problem Limerick has is it's too close to Clare, e.g. half of the university is in Clare, half of the Corbally suburb is in Clare. These figures can't be used in population so they have to use areas further out in Limk that I wouldn't consider to be part of the city. Similarly, parts of Cork shouldn't be used either. If it's not a suburb, it shouldn't be included.
    Local politicians are trying to get the M20 in a big way.

• Advertisement

Another problem Limerick has is it's too close to Clare, e.g. half of the university is in Clare, half of the Corbally suburb is in Clare. These figures can't be used in population so they have to use areas further out in Limk that I wouldn't consider to be part of the city. Similarly, parts of Cork shouldn't be used either. If it's not a suburb, it shouldn't be included.
    Local politicians are trying to get the M20 in a big way.
    The suburb in Clare cannot be used as a Co. Limerick figure, but I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't be used as an urban figure if that is what it is.
    What parts of Cork shouldn't be used? The 208k figure is solid urban. Metro is including surrounding areas that have huge impacts on traffic and jobs. They do of course need to be accounted for in figures like these.
    As for the politician, I hope so.

Advertisement