Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork behind Limerick for FDI growth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The suburb in Clare cannot be used as a Co. Limerick figure, but I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't be used as an urban figure if that is what it is.
    What parts of Cork shouldn't be used? The 208k figure is solid urban. Metro is including surrounding areas that have huge impacts on traffic and jobs. They do of course need to be accounted for in figures like these.
    As for the politician, I hope so.

I like Cork, not very familiar with it though as I just go down to rugby matches. But coming in from the Limerick side, areas like Blarney are definitely county to me, and then blackpool would be city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Rightwing wrote: »
    I like Cork, not very familiar with it though as I just go down to rugby matches. But coming in from the Limerick side, areas like Blarney are definitely county to me, and then blackpool would be city.

Blarney is bypassed though, so you dont see the true size of Blarney and the adjoining town of Tower. Very suburban.

Blarney is bypassed though, so you dont see the true size of Blarney and the adjoining town of Tower. Very suburban.

But it is still county. Limerick politicians are trying the same trick to get in commuter villages, I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

But it is still county. Limerick politicians are trying the same trick to get in commuter villages, I don't buy it.

No. Blarney is administratively in the County, but it is part of Metropolitan Cork; it has been a satellite town for the city for 30 years now. If a town has a strong commuter function, then it suggests it belongs in a functional sense to a city.

mire wrote: »
    No. Blarney is administratively in the County, but it is part of Metropolitan Cork; it has been a satellite town for the city for 30 years now. If a town has a strong commuter function, then it suggests it belongs in a functional sense to a city.

But where does one draw the line? Is Mallow included?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The suburb in Clare cannot be used as a Co. Limerick figure, but I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't be used as an urban figure if that is what it is.
    What parts of Cork shouldn't be used? The 208k figure is solid urban. Metro is including surrounding areas that have huge impacts on traffic and jobs. They do of course need to be accounted for in figures like these.
    As for the politician, I hope so.

But Blarney wouldn't be included in the 208k figure. As far as I'm aware it's considered in the metro area.

But Blarney wouldn't be included in the 208k figure. As far as I'm aware it's considered in the metro area.

That's what I would have thought as well. The 208K figure is the one I would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

But where does one draw the line? Is Mallow included?

Depends on which line. ThePOPCORK.jpg figures i mentioned earlier refers to 4 different units - the city (legally defined), the city and the immediate suburbs (built up area), the metropolitan area (previous plus satellite towns), and the 'city region'.

Blarney is in the metropolitan area, but not in the city and suburbs. Mallow is in the city region, but not in the metropolitan area.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

mire wrote: »
    Depends on which line. ThePOPCORK.jpg figures i mentioned earlier refers to 4 different units - the city (legally defined), the city and the immediate suburbs (built up area), the metropolitan area (previous plus satellite towns), and the 'city region'.

Blarney is in the metropolitan area, but not in the city and suburbs. Mallow is in the city region, but not in the metropolitan area.

Surely its the other way around no?
    The 208k should be the stated population of Cork city. Although you could include some of the outlying towns such as Ballincollig. The figure of 125k shows how outdated the city boundaries are. The plans to address the issue seems to have stalled, haven't heard anything in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

as I have said before - limerick has council estates that resemble Beirut , nothing close to it in cork.
    if you visited Ireland and only went to limerick - you would think we are a 2nd world country - perhaps we are ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't think people understand the concept of a metropolitan area.

A metro area is defined as a city and suburbs plus neighbouring towns and villages from where people are willing to commute into the city on a daily basis for work. Basically commuter towns.

Blarney would be a perfect example of an area within Corks metro area. In it a mere 9km from Cork City Center, along a pretty decent road!

To put that in context for you, Swords is 15km from Dublin City Center, Blanchardstown 12km, Dundrum 10km.

I don't think anyone would argue that the above aren't part of Dublin's Metro area, likewise to anyone who has ever been to Blarney, it is very clear that it is a commuter town to Cork City and clearly part of Cork's Metro area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

goochy wrote: »
    Don't forget though as much as I like cork it is an insular city not very international , limerick actually feels like a bigger city and limerick make better use of their river setting

That is very strange, roughly half my friends living in Cork are foreign (I'm a Corkonian), Spanish, Korean, Welsh, Polish, Lithuanian and German. While not as international as Dublin it really is pretty decent mix of folks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Don't forget though as much as I like cork it is an insular city not very international , limerick actually feels like a bigger city and limerick make better use of their river setting

Not in a million years does Limerick feel like a bigger city. I spend alot of time in both cities for work and Cork is light years ahead of Limerick and is by far the bigger city, both its center and its urban reach. I like Limerick city center, couple of nice long Georgian streets and a lovely riverfront, but other than that its limited. Cork has a much more dense and more European city center with river channels, bridges and small winding streets all over the place. However your comments about Cork not being international lead me to believe you are taking the piss or havnt a clue, both equally as sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

CHealy wrote: »

Not in a million years does Limerick feel like a bigger city. I spend alot of time in both cities for work and Cork is light years ahead of Limerick and is by far the bigger city, both its center and its urban reach. I like Limerick city center, couple of nice long Georgian streets and a lovely riverfront, but other than that its limited. Cork has a much more dense and more European city center with river channels, bridges and small winding streets all over the place. However your comments about Cork not being international lead me to believe you are taking the piss or havnt a clue, both equally as sad.

Cork must be close to Dublin in terms of non nationals per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

There's alot of insular foreign people especially eastern europeans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

as I have said before - limerick has council estates that resemble Beirut , nothing close to it in cork.
    if you visited Ireland and only went to limerick - you would think we are a 2nd world country - perhaps we are ??
    I Was Born in Limerick City and Yes there is and was Housing Estates Like Beirut and the Scum Bags ran wild no Law and Order. The Great People of Limerick City are not to Blame for this in my Opinion . The Garda Job For Law and Order and the Garda Failed Miserable. The Great Wonderful People of the Likes of South Hill O Malley Park in the 1970s to the 2000s. That is 30 years of Garda Failure in my Opinion.

Census 2016 Limerick New Metropolitan City area did not come out yet. there more from Census 2016 yet to come so hold your Horses.

Looking at that, Dublin is 5 times bigger than Cork, and Cork is bigger than the other 3 cities put together. Says a lot about planning in this country.
    That is actually a normal distribution for centralised countries. The capitol is the biggest city by a long way, the second city is much smaller, the third city is much smaller again.

Decentralised/Federal countries are much better balanced - the capitol might be very small (USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil) and/or lots of rival cities (Germany, Italy)

Ireland is definitely a centralised country.

Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick Is the Largest Shopping Center in Munster . This is not in the Limerick City Boundary . University of Limerick 17000 Students . UL is Not in the Limerick City Boundary . University College Cork 18820 Students. that is Just 1820 More Students more than Limerick UL . Which is Just over 40 Years old . which UCC Cork is Over 172 Years Old. Massive Growth For Limerick UL And Limerick City.

Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick Is the Largest Shopping Center in Munster . This is not in the Limerick City Boundary . University of Limerick 17000 Students . UL is Not in the Limerick City Boundary . University College Cork 18820 Students. that is Just 1820 More Students more than Limerick UL . Which is Just over 40 Years old . which UCC Cork is Over 172 Years Old. Massive Growth For Limerick UL And Limerick City.

You seem to be taking offence to facts. None of the metro area figures are out yet, and just like UCC or CIT I'm sure not all of the UL students live inside the college. Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

bk wrote: »
    I don't think people understand the concept of a metropolitan area.

A metro area is defined as a city and suburbs plus neighbouring towns and villages from where people are willing to commute into the city on a daily basis for work. Basically commuter towns.

Blarney would be a perfect example of an area within Corks metro area. In it a mere 9km from Cork City Center, along a pretty decent road!

To put that in context for you, Swords is 15km from Dublin City Center, Blanchardstown 12km, Dundrum 10km.

I don't think anyone would argue that the above aren't part of Dublin's Metro area, likewise to anyone who has ever been to Blarney, it is very clear that it is a commuter town to Cork City and clearly part of Cork's Metro area.

Sure you could just as easily say Mallow is a commuter town. It's just a bit further away.

People in the village don't want to be considered part of Cork city council, as it will mean funding won't go on improving and repairing our roads. They will instead go towards providing council housing... A very working class thing.

Census 2016 Limerick New Metropolitan City area did not come out yet. there more from Census 2016 yet to come so hold your Horses.

And if you compare metropolitan Limerick with metropolitan cork, the result will be the same, the difference will in fact be bigger. You seem incapable of making or understanding a like for like comparison. I've no doubt you will compare the population of metropolitan Limerick with that or Cork City, excluding the suburbs, never mind the wider metropolitan area.

That is actually a normal distribution for centralised countries. The capitol is the biggest city by a long way, the second city is much smaller, the third city is much smaller again.

Decentralised/Federal countries are much better balanced - the capitol might be very small (USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil) and/or lots of rival cities (Germany, Italy)

Ireland is definitely a centralised country.

Take Germany/Italy/Spain/NL, the capital isn't way ahead of other cities. This is better option imo, otherwise you will have inflated property prices e.g. London. Dubliners would have a better standard of living if our other cities were bigger.
    podmu80 wrote: »
    And if you compare metropolitan Limerick with metropolitan cork, the result will be the same, the difference will in fact be bigger. You seem incapable of making or understanding a like for like comparison. I've no doubt you will compare the population of metropolitan Limerick with that or Cork City, excluding the suburbs, never mind the wider metropolitan area.

Correct.

My gripe with the idea of metropolitan areas are places like Charleville could fall under both cities, likewise Ennis, people from there commute to both Limk/Galway.

podmu80 wrote: »
    Cork City Did Not get a Boundary Extension over 50 Years so we are not see the True Population of Cork City . Limerick City is the same as Cork City we are not see the True Population of both Cities . Galway City got a Boundary Extension in 1984 which makes it look bigger than it is.

Cork City Did Not get a Boundary Extension over 50 Years so we are not see the True Population of Cork City . Limerick City is the same as Cork City we are not see the True Population of both Cities . Galway City got a Boundary Extension in 1984 which makes it look bigger than it is.

Population of Limerick city & county combined is about 200,000. I agree you can add in a few thousand more living out in Corbally area that should be included. But that's it.

Cork city & county combined have a population of over 500,000. It's a much bigger county geographically, and it has a much bigger population. It's not rocket science.
    The OP was badly misinformed, Cork is doing, and has been doing far better than Limk. As did Galway.

Population of Limerick city & county combined is about 200,000. I agree you can add in a few thousand more living out in Corbally area that should be included. But that's it.

Cork city & county combined have a population of over 500,000. It's a much bigger county geographically, and it has a much bigger population. It's not rocket science.
    The OP was badly misinformed, Cork is doing, and has been doing far better than Limk. As did Galway.
    1OO Per Cent Agree With Your Post. I Love Cork City and The People But Cork City and Limerick City Need to Join Together With a Motorway Connecting both Cities Will Strength us Both.

I don't think you're getting this. It's true that the city administrative boundary hasn't been extended, but this does not make the census figures wrong. You do not need a boundary extension to measure urban and metro areas. When you compare like with like figures, Cork's population is multiple times higher. That is just a fact. It's not a competition, just a fact.

Indeed the boundaries should be extended. The true figures were released yesterday, they show the population of each city contained within the urban area, ie. the continuous build up area. This is the figure under "city & suburbs"
    This metropolitan area you bring up covers a much wider area, and greater population.
    So you can compare city with city, city & suburbs with city & suburbs, or metro with metro. Set whatever boundary you want to BOTH cities, The results will show the same end result.

Take Germany/Italy/Spain/NL, the capital isn't way ahead of other cities. This is better option imo, otherwise you will have inflated property prices e.g. London. Dubliners would have a better standard of living if our other cities were bigger.

Correct.

My gripe with the idea of metropolitan areas are places like Charleville could fall under both cities, likewise Ennis, people from there commute to both Limk/Galway.

Tbf, I don't think anyone is claiming Charleville to be included in metro figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

On building the M20, Charleville will be within handy commuting distance from both cities, so I wouldn't be quick to include it in either cities stats.

Mallow - Raheen would be very viable post M20 opening. Somewhere near the new Olivers Cross Interchange - Raheen would be doable in 35/40 minutes.

Advertisement