Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork behind Limerick for FDI growth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

goochy wrote: »
    as a Dub living in Cork , I think Cork is a template for how to run a large county . Don't care how much development is going on in Dublin , it is and will always be a kip as theres too many lower lower class people.

rant over

There are none in Cork? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

ongarboy wrote: »
    mire wrote: »
    I think people are confused. The Urban population is the city and built up area. The metropolitan Population includes satellite towns close to the city like glanmire, ballincollig. It does not include Kinsale, charleville etc.

The area you refer to as metropolitan is actually the Cork city and suburbs/environs population of 208000 as counted by the Census.   Have a look at attached and zoom into Cork and select Towns/Cities (Settlements)  and it will give you the geographical boundary make up of the population that made up Cork and suburbs back in 2011 when the population was 198000.  Note that Ballincollig, Glanmire etc are included but Carrigaline and Cobh etc aren't so this is the buiilt up area - whether people want to call that metropolitan or not is up to them   This may differ slightly (ie be larger) when the same results are made public for Census 2016 later this year.

http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/
    No, metropolitan is different. As stated before, it's not a competition. It's for planning (not that this is done well) and allocation of resources. Metro figures are from a much wider area than the 208k figure, and therefore, the figure will much higher.......but has not yet been release. Also, people need to get away from what should and shouldn't be included. Leave that to the statisticians.

One worrying observation is that that is the CSO site and they give the wrong figure for County Cork. The figure they're using is the 2011 metro figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

the only really bad part of cork city is Knocknaheeny - not exactly a lovely area but no where near as bad as worst parts of Dublin / limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

the only really bad part of cork city is Knocknaheeny - not exactly a lovely area but no where near as bad as worst parts of Dublin / limerick
    Very True What you say in your post. But in Limerick in for example. keys park Southill Limerick. 100s Law-abiding families where driven out their homes by Just two Antisocial behaviour families. This was allowed to happen by the police/ Garda for over 30 years and Roxboro Garda Station was Just down the road . It was the Garda Job to policy the area but if that was Cork City would the Garda leave the people of Cork City down like the did in Keys Park Southill Limerick City ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

No, metropolitan is different. As stated before, it's not a competition. It's for planning (not that this is done well) and allocation of resources. Metro figures are from a much wider area than the 208k figure, and therefore, the figure will much higher.......but has not yet been release. Also, people need to get away from what should and shouldn't be included. Leave that to the statisticians.

One worrying observation is that that is the CSO site and they give the wrong figure for County Cork. The figure they're using is the 2011 metro figure.

No, this is not fully correct. The CSO don't produce metropolitan figures for Cork. But you van calculate this from adding up all the electoral districts that make up Metropolitan Cork; this is available now - (since late 2016 actually when all the ED data was released). I am not sure that the CSO have been quoting the wrong figure for County Cork - have they?

here are the figures POPCORK.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

I don't know what it is but limerick and Dublin have some people that are lower lower lower class !!

I don't know what it is but limerick and Dublin have some people that are lower lower lower class !!
    But people who caused all the antisocial behavior are in small numbers all it takes one our two families to ruin area and turn it to ghetto. like what happened in parts of Limerick City who is to blame for this the Police/Garda there Job is the protect law- abiding people in there homes. But the allowed the scumbags to run/force the law-abiding people from There homes. The victims of this where the Honest Good People of parts of Limerick City Like o Malley Park Southill , Keys Park Southill Limerick . a You say Dublin I do not know a lot about Dublin maybe other people can shed a light on that?.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

mire wrote: »
    No, this is not fully correct. The CSO don't produce metropolitan figures for Cork. But you van calculate this from adding up all the electoral districts that make up Metropolitan Cork; this is available now - (since late 2016 actually when all the ED data was released). I am not sure that the CSO have been quoting the wrong figure for County Cork - have they?

here are the figures POPCORK.jpg

The Co. Cork figure is not visible in your link. I don't know whether they produce the metro figure or not, but they're definitely using the 2011 figure as the county figure in their site above, which is over 100k shore of the county figure from 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The Co. Cork figure is not visible in your link. I don't know whether they produce the metro figure or not, but they're definitely using the 2011 figure as the county figure in their site above, which is over 100k shore of the county figure from 2011.

I can't see that link to the CSO 2016 figures right now but I suspect it's the correct figure for Cork County, without the city figure included. This would be approximately 420,000 I'd say. The CSO usually provide data on local authority units and that might be the explanation in this case. The CSO never report Metropolitan Cork figures as it's not an officially recognized statistical unit in Ireland.

*just had a look there - the census 2016 gives a figure of 417,211 for cork county, and 125,657 for cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

First time in Cork city in a long time the other day. So many abandoned or boarded up buildings? What happened?
    I remember my first time going down there, and most of those closed buildings were still open. A pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

seachto7 wrote: »
    First time in Cork city in a long time the other day. So many abandoned or boarded up buildings? What happened?
    I remember my first time going down there, and most of those closed buildings were still open. A pity.

Where?

seachto7 wrote: »
    ........... What happened?..............

Mahon Pt shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Augeo wrote: »
    Mahon Pt shopping centre.

I work next to place And its never busy in there during the week ..... So you cant blame there. Outside of Zara everything else is in the city with a way better shop.

I give you a idea On A friday i was the only one in the mens Dept in Zara ....

Also where did you see the boared up buildings there is a few on patricks St but not many at all just at the very top access from M and S there boarded up and that's it.

Also where did you see the boared up buildings there is a few on patricks St but not many at all just at the very top access from M and S there boarded up and that's it.

I mentioned nothing about boarded up buildings.
    If you want examples though, anywhere quayside would be a good starting point.

400 more New Jobs for Limerick today Financial Service Northern Trust add 400 more new Jobs to the 1000 Jobs already in Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Limerick will be overtaken by Galway as Irelands third city in the next few years.Limerick is no threat to Cork in anyway.To be honest i find it insulting that we have to argue that Cork is a much more advanced city than Limerick in the first place.Cork is not a proper counter balance to Dublin yet but it's the only city in Ireland capable of fulfilling such a role.No amount of Limerick wet dreams will change that fact.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick will be overtaken by Galway as Irelands third city in the next few years.Limerick is no threat to Cork in anyway.To be honest i find it insulting that we have to argue that Cork is a much more advanced city than Limerick in the first place.Cork is not a proper counter balance to Dublin yet but it's the only city in Ireland capable of fulfilling such a role.No amount of Limerick wet dreams will change that fact.
    Galway is a poorly planned massive traffic jam that will require a massive ball of money to slightly alleviate its plans.

People living in low density ribbons along approach roads and having everyone work in business parks with no public transport access, along with chronic congestion on its main city routes mean incredibly difficult lack of expansion opportunities.

They've spent €550m on a north-south motorway that'll make journey times longer for commutes (sure it'll be beneficial for the 3-4k people using the direct Gort-Tuam motorway, but that's not much value for the money spent), which will only be alleviated by building a city bypass costing €600m. All money spent but nothing being done exploring rapid transit corridors or building houses and apartments near places of work.

At least Cork is going the right way with its Docklands plans and increased city centre densification.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Galway will overtake limerick in 7to10 years drogheda population 80000 will overtake limerick in 15to 20years . Cork city 125000 and with its city boundary extension population of 225000 is way out of limericks league and will a greater population of 300000 plus it is the perfect counterbalance to Dublin.

Limerick City is on the way up big time thanks to UL University . Limerick City has found a new confidence with all the new investments, which is great for Limerick .

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Limerick City is on the way up big time thanks to UL University . Limerick City has found a new confidence with all the new investments, which is great for Limerick .
    Great, delighted that Limerick is recovering from it's gang violence, extreme poverty and massive job losses.

• Advertisement

rebs23 wrote: »
    Great, delighted that Limerick is recovering from it's gang violence, extreme poverty and massive job losses.
    These are the four Richest counties in Ireland with disposal income Dublin 21,963 euros Limerick 20,395 Cork 19,234 Kildare, 19,384 Limerick is ahead of Cork .?

These are the four Richest counties in Ireland with disposal income Dublin 21,963 euros Limerick 20,395 Cork 19,234 Kildare, 19,384 Limerick is ahead of Cork .?
    I know you have problems understanding statistics from earlier posts about populations but you do know that disposable income is different to actual income?
    Whats your point anyway? All it illustrates is the low level of rent and house prices in Limerick in comparison to other urban areas.
    Great to know that disposable income in Limerick is a few hundred quid more than Cork. Just wondering what is your obsession about posting in a Cork forum about Limerick.
    As I said earlier it is good to hear that a recovery is taking place in Limerick especially considering the recent problems that plagued the City including gang violence, mass unemployment and lay offs, a city centre that struggles, etc.
    I do hear however that employers struggle to attract staff to the area?

I know you have problems understanding statistics from earlier posts about populations but you do know that disposable income is different to actual income?
    Whats your point anyway? All it illustrates is the low level of rent and house prices in Limerick in comparison to other urban areas.
    Great to know that disposable income in Limerick is a few hundred quid more than Cork. Just wondering what is your obsession about posting in a Cork forum about Limerick.
    As I said earlier it is good to hear that a recovery is taking place in Limerick especially considering the recent problems that plagued the City including gang violence, mass unemployment and lay offs, a city centre that struggles, etc.
    I do hear however that employers struggle to attract staff to the area?[/QUOTE Hearsay can you back up that employers are struggle to attract staff in Limerick City? please back up your statement of Hearsay?

I do hear however that employers struggle to attract staff to the area?[/QUOTE Hearsay can you back up that employers are struggle to attract staff in Limerick City? please back up your statement of Hearsay?
    Hearsay which is why i stated "I hear that..."
    How about here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057225086&page=2

Hearsay which is why i stated "I hear that..."
    How about here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057225086&page=2
    More Hearsay . But on Regeneron web site Raheen . Limerick site will be the largest capacity Biopharmaceutical production facility in Ireland with a total investment of 650 million & and 500 Jobs to start for Limerick by the end of 2017 this year.

More Hearsay . But on Regeneron web site Raheen . Limerick site will be the largest capacity Biopharmaceutical production facility in Ireland with a total investment of 650 million & and 500 Jobs to start for Limerick by the end of 2017 this year.

That is utter nonsense there is the BMS facility in Dublin, the Johnson & Johnson facility in Cork and there are many more throughout Ireland that could easily make the same claim.
    Regeneron is the only Biotech facility of note in the Mid West. If you want a career in Biotech (ability to move to other employers), the Mid West is not the place. Ask anyone in recruitment about trying to fill positions in Limerick.
    Look fair dues to Limerick it is dragging itself off the floor after a particularly awful period in it's history. I don't know why there are constant exaggerations
    coming from the place though about the population, size of economy, number of jobs being created, others going on about becoming the states second city etc, etc. The arrogance and delusion of it all is amazing for a place that had a high crime rate, rampant gangland violence, high unemployment, hundreds of houses demolished, and rapid depopulation not so long ago.
    And then you come onto a Cork forum trying to understate the population of Cork, making unfair comparisons and then posting about 400 jobs being created over 5years.
    Please drop the delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Cordell

Neither one of Cork, Limerick, Galway need to balance Dublin, but all of them together need to provide employment opportunities for the people living in the west. Live in any of them and work in the closest other, that should be something manageable and this is why M20 and M18 are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cordell wrote: »
    Neither one of Cork, Limerick, Galway need to balance Dublin, but all of them together need to provide employment opportunities for the people living in the west. Live in any of them and work in the closest other, that should be something manageable and this is why M20 and M18 are needed.

Dont mean to sound like a bollox but I dont think Cork has anything to do with the West. Iv never once in my life heard of Cork as being described as in the "West" or having anything to do with it and to be honest I wouldn't think we'd want anything to do with it. Cork as a county is so big its pretty much a region in itself and that is and always will be the main concern. A motorway between Cork and Limerick will absolutely help the two cities and will open up some opportunities but it would favour Limerick more in that regard. I think Limerick can, and will step upto the plate as a proper engine for that region, more so than Galway which lets be honest is just a tourist town, but you cant compare Limerick to Cork because it would be unfair on Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

I agree 100% with you. A motorway from cork to limerick is not a bad thing but would help limerick more than cork and Shannon airport would do well also. How much traffic daily would use the full cork to limerick trip. Putting the funding into Cork northern ring road would take a lot of pressure from the 100000 cars buses and lorrys that use the tunnel every day and open up the north side of the city to new investment . Sorry for sending my first unfinished message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'd say that any infrastructure investment will help the area and the country as a whole. I never intended to compare Limerick with Cork, but if the West of Ireland will attract the same level of FDI as Dublin alone we will be all better of.

Advertisement