Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork behind Limerick for FDI growth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cordell wrote: »
    I'd say that any infrastructure investment will help the area and the country as a whole. I never intended to compare Limerick with Cork, but if the West of Ireland will attract the same level of FDI as Dublin alone we will be all better of.

Do you think Cork is in the West of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I agree 100% with you. A motorway from cork to limerick is not a bad thing but would help limerick more than cork and Shannon airport would do well also. How many Putting the funding into Cork northern ring road
    Cork airport outperformed Shannon on every single route they competed on in 2016. Cork Airport; without a runway to accommodate long haul flights, without preclearance, while being run by Dublin Airport and saddled with debt has moved more passengers than Shannon every year for the last 7 years and the gap is widening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Cordell

CHealy wrote: »
    Do you think Cork is in the West of Ireland?

No, it's SW, but it's West to Dublin. That was my point. Almost any new big job announcement, almost every offer I receive unsolicited is either Dublin centre or Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

I did not make any reference to Shannon airport having more routes or passengers than cork I know cork airport is bigger but it will most likely put a stop to transatlantic flights. The cork Dublin motorway put an end to cork Dublin flights. I think the cork to limerick motorway could Finish cork us flights. Cork needs a runway extension but it's bordered by roads on 3 sides and huge gully on the north end. A new runway would have to be build from one corner to the other I can't see this happening any time soon I also can't see cork getting US imagration clearance. That's the reason I think Shannon would gain

So, don't build a motorway because, even if both cities win some, Limerick/Shannon will win more?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

rebs23 wrote: »

That is utter nonsense there is the BMS facility in Dublin, the Johnson & Johnson facility in Cork and there are many more throughout Ireland that could easily make the same claim.
    Regeneron is the only Biotech facility of note in the Mid West. If you want a career in Biotech (ability to move to other employers), the Mid West is not the place. Ask anyone in recruitment about trying to fill positions in Limerick.
    Look fair dues to Limerick it is dragging itself off the floor after a particularly awful period in it's history. I don't know why there are constant exaggerations
    coming from the place though about the population, size of economy, number of jobs being created, others going on about becoming the states second city etc, etc. The arrogance and delusion of it all is amazing for a place that had a high crime rate, rampant gangland violence, high unemployment, hundreds of houses demolished, and rapid depopulation not so long ago.
    And then you come onto a Cork forum trying to understate the population of Cork, making unfair comparisons and then posting about 400 jobs being created over 5years.
    Please drop the delusion.
    .Johnson & Johnson vision care to invest 100 million in Limerick plant in 2015 Limerick is take business from other cities why is this simple UL university was not there 40 years ago so that is why Limerick is on the up and maybe Michael Noonan .

Cordell wrote: »
    So, don't build a motorway because, even if both cities win some, Limerick/Shannon will win more?

Never said don't build a motorway. I was making the point that a northern ring road would be of more benefit to cork then a motorway linking cork to limerick. The south side of cork has benefited greatly with the south link and if the go ahead was given for the northern section to begin it would be the same on that side of cork. I don't care about Shannon or limerick I wish them the best but cork people should put Cork first and the completion of the Cork ring road should be a priority . The two road projects will hardly get the go ahead together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Never said don't build a motorway. I was making the point that a northern ring road would be of more benefit to cork then a motorway linking cork to limerick. The south side of cork has benefited greatly with the south link and if the go ahead was given for the northern section to begin it would be the same on that side of cork. I don't care about Shannon or limerick I wish them the best but cork people should put Cork first and the completion of the Cork ring road should be a priority . The two road projects will hardly get the go ahead together.
    :eek: My god we have the corkexit like the brexit now do we ?

:eek: My god we have the corkexit like the brexit now do we ?

Did ya ever hear of thr republic of Cork Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

As I have said before great time for limerick and it's people . Was there a few weeks ago but it will have trouble attracting staff / investment until it becomes more attractive looking . Has it's nice spots but is generally very grim and neglected

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The issues with Cork going forward are:

a) the lack of infrastructure in Cork relative to its size and
    b) the lack of infrastructure in Cork relative to other cities.

Cork has a few major issues:

1. the deplorable state of the national roads on approach to the city

Cork has one motorway, the M8. It has several roads with major congestion issues due to lack of capacity and bottlenecks (N20, N22, N25, N28 and N71 - Macroom, Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Inishannon etc). It also has a heavily congested half ring road, with a very narrow bottleneck (Douglas flyover) and a grade separated roundabout with traffic flows upto 90k a day connecting 4 motorway standard dual carriageways. This needs substantial investment which TII agree with but are not getting.

2. the lack of anything resembling a public transport system in Cork

Cork needs its own organisation running its bus system, a Cork Bus if you will, anything to take it out of the hands of Bus Eireann. Combine this with improved bus priority and perhaps quality bus corridors and have some sort of functioning system. The people of Cork have no faith in its existing bus system and this is reflected in the lack of usership and car dependence

3. a firm plan going forward for a mass transit system

Cork going forward, helped by them taking the right steps in trying to improve density and bringing business to the city centre, needs a mass transit system, be it Bus or Light Rail based, to cater for the additional demand. There has been widespread calls that the Ballincollig-CIT-CUH-UCC-City Centre-Docklands-Mahon route is a viable route and going forward will have significant demand which needs to be catered for.

4. Cork Airport

Shannon has a bare transatlantic flight operation (Newark & Boston year round and seasonal service to New York-JFK, Chicago-O'Hare and Philadelphia) but for companies located on the East Coast, it is only a 5/6 hour flight away with a reputable airline. Cork's transatlantic service with Norwegian isn't going to change the issue with Cork having no transatlantic access bar connecting flights via London-Heathrow, Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam. A feasibility study needs to be done on the possibility of any form of an extension to Cork's runway to accommodate a possible future transatlantic service using new generation narrowbody aircraft.

There are other factors but these all need to be looked at for Cork going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Taoiseach, Minister for Finance and Minister for Transport are all from Dublin. Doesn't bode well for Cork investment in the immediate future anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Taoiseach, Minister for Finance and Minister for Transport are all from Dublin. Doesn't bode well for Cork investment in the immediate future anyway.

It is in Dublin's interest for cork to grow.

It is in Dublin's interest for cork to grow.

Dublin politicians are not going to funnel money into Cork. Simple as. And the utter lack of investment in Cork over the years would indicate that that is the case.

Calls for a Cork transport authority have fallen on deaf ears for decades. A feasibility study into an East West transit corridor was published in 2010. It's not even close to being on the radar. Downriver bridges are needed to unlock the docklands - again not a peep. The revised capital spending plan will be published in September and I bet Cork will get the crumbs as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its going to become tit for tat now in this thread but for a city at least half the size of Cork and apparently according to certain posters on here is a more favorable employment city , there sure is an awful lot of Limerick on this list.

https://www.thejournal.ie/employment-ireland-3445102-Jun2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

CHealy wrote: »
    Its going to become tit for tat now in this thread but for a city at least half the size of Cork and apparently according to certain posters on here is a more favorable employment city , there sure is an awful lot of Limerick on this list.

https://www.thejournal.ie/employment-ireland-3445102-Jun2017/

The CSO report also showed that Limerick City had 8 out of the 10 electoral districts with the highest unemployment rates in the state.
    Shocking rates of unemployment still in Limerick.

The unemployment level in the county is at around country's average, so it's not a problem of FDI and job market and so on. Is the other kind of problem :)

I did not make any reference to Shannon airport having more routes or passengers than cork I know cork airport is bigger but it will most likely put a stop to transatlantic flights. The cork Dublin motorway put an end to cork Dublin flights. I think the cork to limerick motorway could Finish cork us flights. Cork needs a runway extension but it's bordered by roads on 3 sides and huge gully on the north end. A new runway would have to be build from one corner to the other I can't see this happening any time soon I also can't see cork getting US imagration clearance. That's the reason I think Shannon would gain
    There has never been a regular transatlantic service from Cork. The Norwegian flights can only move the needle in one direction. If a Cork Limerick motorway killed that one route we would be back to the status quo for the the last 50 years. There is very little to gain for Shannon

settled travellers most of them me thinks !!

snotboogie wrote: »
    There has never been a regular transatlantic service from Cork. The Norwegian flights can only move the needle in one direction. If a Cork Limerick motorway killed that one route we would be back to the status quo for the the last 50 years. There is very little to gain for Shannon

Looking at the bigger picture I was hoping aer lingus (AIG ) would start a regular Cork US flight due to Norwegian flights taking Cork passengers who would usually fly via Dublin or Shannon or London Heathrow (a high volume of aer lingus Cork Heathrow passengers transfer to New York Boston).iam now hearing that Norwegian is a lot more expensive to fly, the aircraft is flying in from Madrid with X amount of seats for Cork refuelling in Iceland as bigger aircraft cannot takeoff in Cork fully laden with passages and fuel.( runway to short and narrow) Aer Lingus (AIG) will I think unfortunately watch Norwegian fail due to price and the stopover in Iceland or even if it's a direct US flight it's going to be a single aisle aircraft. With a motorway to Shannon it's a one hour trip, Pre-clearance direct flight wide body aircraft and a cheaper priced ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

with the recent announcement of a boundary extension, Cork city will expand even more increasing the gap between it and Limerick, so it doesn't look like that Limerick is going to overtake it anytime soon.

Mutant z wrote: »
    with the recent announcement of a boundary extension, Cork city will expand even more increasing the gap between it and Limerick, so it doesn't look like that Limerick is going to overtake it anytime soon.

Never was or will overtake Cork. The whole population of county limerick 170000 you can find in a 6 mile radius of Cork City Centre and then some. Limerick will be overtaken by Galway and Drogheda in 20 years or so,where as Cork City population will be 300000 plus in 20 years with the boundary extension.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Never was or will overtake Cork. The whole population of county limerick 170000 you can find in a 6 mile radius of Cork City Centre and then some. Limerick will be overtaken by Galway and Drogheda in 20 years or so,where as Cork City population will be 300000 plus in 20 years with the boundary extension.
    Limerick will not be overtaken by Galway.

Looking at the bigger picture I was hoping aer lingus (AIG ) would start a regular Cork US flight due to Norwegian flights taking Cork passengers who would usually fly via Dublin or Shannon or London Heathrow (a high volume of aer lingus Cork Heathrow passengers transfer to New York Boston).iam now hearing that Norwegian is a lot more expensive to fly, the aircraft is flying in from Madrid with X amount of seats for Cork refuelling in Iceland as bigger aircraft cannot takeoff in Cork fully laden with passages and fuel.( runway to short and narrow) Aer Lingus (AIG) will I think unfortunately watch Norwegian fail due to price and the stopover in Iceland or even if it's a direct US flight it's going to be a single aisle aircraft. With a motorway to Shannon it's a one hour trip, Pre-clearance direct flight wide body aircraft and a cheaper priced ticket.

You are getting very mixed up. Wow Air are the airline stopping over in Iceland, Norwegian have no plans to stop there.

There were plans to run a Barcelona leg feeding into Cork when the route was first announced but there have been no further updates. As far as I know there are no flights feeding into the Cork-Providence route. Which is a direct flight.

Even if the route exceeds all expectations and New York is added with the 737 max, I can't see Aerlingus going transatlantic from Cork, even in some dream scenario where the runway is expanded and growth explodes, we'd see a Middle Eastern airline doing long haul out of Cork before Aerlingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

rebs23 wrote: »
    Great, delighted that Limerick is recovering from it's gang violence, extreme poverty and massive job losses.

Limerick has recovered from it's gang crime problem.The most recent gangland killing in Limerick was in 2010.Corks most recent one was last December.Thankfully though gangland killings only happen very rarely in Cork.Limerick is no Cork and people thinking Limerick is in anyway close to Cork are away with the fairies, but it's still a very nice city and i do prefer it to Dublin and Galway.I actually think you can put forward an argument that Limerick is the safest city in the country.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

There is no motorway to Shannon from Cork. Also many of the transatlantic flights from Shannon are operated by 757s - a narrow bodied aircraft.

There's lots of good things about limerick but i think of it was being like beaunas aires or rio . You could be in a lovely spot one minute and then you turn the corner and it's like third world. Visited an estate near kings John castle at the roundabout . It was looked so bad I was actually scared during day time probably was grand but I am from Dublin originally and can't remember seeing anything like it since Celtic tiger years

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There is no motorway to Shannon from Cork. Also many of the transatlantic flights from Shannon are operated by 757s - a narrow bodied aircraft.

They are rarely operated by anything other than a 757. Aer Lingus have 2 757s based there and the three American carriers use 757s on the route

marno21 wrote: »
    They are rarely operated by anything other than a 757. Aer Lingus have 2 757s based there and the three American carriers use 757s on the route

Yeah that's why I said many i.e. a large or significant number of them. Delta use 767 on the JFK route from time to time (today they used a 767).

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Limerick will not be overtaken by Galway.

Why not population of Galway 200000 plus. city 80000 and growing fast Galway population 30 years ago was about 30000

Advertisement