Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring up a lamp

Options
  • 03-03-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice. I have a lamp that fell over and the wires (Live and Neutral) came out of their connections.

There is no indication of what each connection should be, as you'd normally see on a plug! Does anyone know how I would know where to connect the Live and Neutral wires?

410799.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The 2 terminals we can see take the brown and blue.
    As it is switched, the switch should at the least be isolating the live (brown). We can not assume both are isolated by switch.
    To identify which terminal is for the live, you would need a multimeter, or an electrical repair store could identify in 30 seconds.
    The earth (green/yel) should go in another terminal which is part of metal body, which we can not see in image.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

It doesn't matter which terminal is wired to which wire. The bulb will operate no matter what way it is placed into the holder. The Blue goes into one terminal and brown goes into the other. the earth (yellow/green) needs to be fixed to the main body of the lamp (metal part) somehow. I don't think that there is a terminal on that connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

It doesn't matter which terminal is wired to which wire. The bulb will operate no matter what way it is placed into the holder. The Blue goes into one terminal and brown goes into the other. the earth (yellow/green) needs to be fixed to the main body of the lamp (metal part) somehow. I don't think that there is a terminal on that connector.
    It needs to be ascertained that the switch shown in image at the very least isolates the live.
    We can not assume that it isolates both, without a continuity check.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Switch definitely needs to be isolating the live conductor.

Easy enough to find out with multimeter and know how

• Advertisement
Advertisement