Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying a house plant

Options
  • 03-03-2017 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I had been talking to my boss about the fact that I was thinking of getting a plant for my office. I have a room to myself with good access to natural light. (The benefits of being out in the shticks) He lands in today with this plant which he said he'd been given as a gift and had no idea what it was. Tried googling to find out what it is, and using the plant leaf image recognition app, Leafsnap; but to no avail. The underside of the leaf is quite pink as well.

Any ideas? As I want to know if I need to keep it out of direct cold or sunlight.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a Maranta - there are different varieties which have slightly different leaves, which may confuse things a bit. Also called Prayer Plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just got sidetracked into reading about care. I have a maranta but it is the upright one rather than trailing. I didn't realise that there were these two variations. The leaf is basically the same.

The care instructions talk about a warm and humid spot etc. Mine has been beside the front door in a chilly hallway for the last several years. It has never been misted and occasionally gets dry enough that the leaves start to fall over - I water it and they stand back up again. I feed it about once a year if I think of it. I'd say I have it about 8 or 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Sweet! Thanks a million for the help. I was going a little nuts microanalysing leaf curvature and all that in the hopes of figuring it out. :pac:

Advertisement