Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you download torrents with a Raspberry Pi?

Options
  • 03-03-2017 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

If I had a Raspberry Pi could I download a film onto its SD card via a Torrent application the same way I can download a film onto my Windows PC using uTorrent?
    I've looked on the internet and I can't find a straight answer to be honest!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

yes you can, google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

You'd probably have to be running Raspian or another Pi-friendly OS.

(EDIT: Actually this guide lets you install / setup Transmission from the command line).

http://www.techjawab.com/2014/08/how-to-install-transmission-on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pipermania

Yeah, sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

I think you can. I download everything I need from u1337x.org . Movies, games, courses, whatever. Logging into a torrent is not a crime. Downloading a torrent file is not a crime, regardless of its content.

Post edited by Howok on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Check out rTorrent (nCurses based client, runs from command line). You can use a 'screen' session to stop it from closing after you log out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The vast majority of applications available for Ubuntu will run on a Raspberry Pi. There are normally only minor changes present, such as the location of the .conf files, that's all.

Just beware of downloading onto an SD card, they burn-out sooner due to all of the writes, so you'd be better off attaching an external USB drive (spinning disk will be fine) and using this as the target location.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...but committing crimes and breaking rules from time to time, can be fun! those of us doing so, can do all sorts of mental gymnastics to try convince ourselves we re not doing anything 'wrong'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You can run transmission on a raspberry pi, and add torrents/monitor download status via the web UI for it.

Advertisement