Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strandmill Estate, Portmarnock

• 03-03-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello. I am wondering if anyone could share with me their thoughts about buying in Strandmills estate in Portmarnock and what the estate is like in terms of neighbours, community and anti-social behavior. I know that it is an ex-council estate and read a short thread from 2010 saying that it was 'the roughest part of Portmarnock but in the context of Portmarnock being a very quiet place (so not that bad)'. The general consensus seemed to be that its okay but with a slightly negative slant.

I am wondering since that thread was written how the estate has evolved over the past 7 years. It seems more and more that ex-council houses are being sold at relatively high prices and I suppose those neighborhoods will inevitably become more mixed in terms of social classes which can only be a good thing.

I am curious what the general opinion is on the estate or buying in an ex-council estate in places with a good reputation such as Portmarnock. For me it doesn't matter so much as long as the house is nice, its safe and meets my needs but I don't want to lose money by making a mistake if the area is rough or if I find it hard to resell at some stage in the future because its a former council house. And I certainly don't want to live anywhere with anti-social behaviour.

Any thoughts on the estate (anti-social behavior, modern day perception by the local community in Portmarnock nearby, any general info etc.) would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Perfectly fine. Right beside a primary school, Lidl (in a few months), and 10 minute walk to the beach. Surrounded by golf courses and an estuary so no danger of the place becoming built up.

As you said it's an ex-council estate but that makes no difference IMO. One or two characters around the place but it's 100% safe and you have nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's probably at the cheaper end of Portmarnock, but that isn't an issue.

A normal estate. 4/5 years ago they for fairly cheap. In the 200K bracket.

Pricey enough now. 900 sqft house for 360K

Advertisement