Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace

Options
  • 03-03-2017 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    Occasionally I get this message when booting up
    S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace

I boot up from an SSD drive (C) and I also have an older regular drive (D)
    thats a little knackered but doesn't have any important data.

All other storage is external USB drives (SSD).

I have done scans on the C drive and it says it is fine no errors on it.
    D drive the same - scan shows OK but the drive is old.

The reason I mention the D is , because every time I get this S.M.A.R.T message when I finally get in the D drive is not mounted .

Im thinking it can't be a coincidence, but then again surely on bootup only bootable disks could cause such an error message ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SMART is a built-in health checker on disks that designed to give you early warning of a hardware failure.

It's probably your older drive that's on the way out, you can use a utility to double-check this;

https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

Do as the message says - backup any data on the disk and disconnect it or replace it.

Most systems will report SMART errors on all disks at startup time, not just the boot disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Your system is giving you an early warning of a disk failure, don't ignore it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

OK, well as long as its not the boot disk, but i will check which one it is , if it is the D drive , I dont really mind , nothing of value on it ...

thanks, ill check the Toms Hardware article later .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Install something like the Acronis Drive Monitor to see which drive has the problem status, along with a lot more detail on the problem itself. And, whatever drive it is, perform remedial action (if it's D: this would probably amount to "Shut down computer, disconnect and remove old drive and dispose of it", if it's C: or something else, start with "back up anything important to a separate drive" and go from there).

Advertisement