Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny: age of Triumph - Mod Note Linked in OP 11/04

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

I feel I am an infinitely better sword runner than I was at the start of the night - still not at Generic's level though!

I realised how useless a sword-runner I am! Need to do some practice to get my timing down. Solo normal mode for me.
    Was good to run that raid again and the changes make it better overall. Armour perks finally have a reason to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nevelator wrote: »
    I realised how useless a sword-runner I am! Need to do some practice to get my timing down. Solo normal mode for me.
    Was good to run that raid again and the changes make it better overall. Armour perks finally have a reason to exist.

I'd only done it a handful of times previously but the end of last night i was on fecking point, practice makes perfect:D

I think yourself and others suffered for the fact that we didn't get to the third sword all that regularly - at least not the first number of runs. Generic generally got through his fine (though did have a good number of deaths - boomer and crota getting him) so I had a good number of runs myself. I died a poor number of times getting the sword or dying to Crota/Boomers while trying to use it or get away - which ment the 3 or 4th people tended to not get a chance. Don't think we ever got to a 5th or 6th. Obviously beyond myself or generic dying we had others dying aswell which a lot of the time was just called as a wipe and start over.

On the run we got him beat I was hitting him with R1 right at the moment he kneeled - got him with 2 R1s and 2 R2s. On the second run I got him with three r2s and was away just as he started to stand again.

I think even getting your timing/positioning down after the first attack is massively important as you don't have time (or at least we didn't) to floof around trying to get back, because the timing is dictated by the oversoul mechanic rather than the sword bearer calling when they are ready - you need to be doing a fairly quick 180 so you need to be deliberate and accurate in getting back to the rock on the left or right so that you can jump right back up to him almost immediately.

The 'winning' run showed it was fairly easy to 5 man the challenge too (or at least no more difficult - we lost one of our titans halfway through the first sword iirc. We had more than enough damage and rockets to deal with Crota and the oversoul.

One issue I felt we had, particularly for the first half of our attempt on Crota himself was that we just made it way too complicated. The fight isn't massively difficult from when we did it when it came out. It is much harder than it has been since TTK because of light levels but it is, imo, easier than when we did hard mode during the Dark Below. The oversoul isn't a game changer so the only real difference is the need for different sword bearers (for the challenge) - we spent ages discussing strategies and sub teams etc - was pretty unneeded in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

We managed to get Ir-Yut down. Just. Like, hairs breadth just. Think her timer hit zero as the killing blow landed. It was our final final attempt.

Raze Lighters seem to be the way to go. Much better, speed wise, than Gjallahorn.

The new Bridge encounter though is awesome.
    Seeing those swords appear as the 5th gatekeeper goes down? :eek: All those knights. Absolute blast running around swording them all to death.

Bye Bye solo runs.

No there's a mechanic behind them. All guardians to take down a knight or some such. Or 2 extra Knights. They'll drop an orb to be slammed at each statue
    Whats your source for this?

Meaning you will need to kill 6 Knights, meaning you need to kill 6 Gatekeepers with X number of swords (and can't skip the 6th one), but it means you can't do it solo, or have 3 guys go across and 3 cause enemies to despawn
    They have said they are fixing certain issues within CE specifically, and one of the big ones was cheesing the bridge. So I think it's safe to say no more 3 over 3 deaths, and I am assuming the new statues are tied to the Gatekeepers and Knights.

Can't imagine them adding in those statues WITHOUT a mechanic being attached to them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Not saying anything......

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Not saying anything......

They don't drop an orb and you don't slam anything into them. Just saying...:P:D

• Advertisement

They don't drop an orb and you don't slam anything into them. Just saying...:P:D

Close enough though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I saved a clip of our run on It Yut, if I can upload without sound I will, as I make some bizarre shrieking noises when we do it at the end!! Watching it back, I ran under her and beyond her and R2 slammed the ground below her. I thought it a genuine fail until rewards popped. It seems to be generous in the area under her that counts to slam her with the sword.

Just wondering, did they add a Crota sidearm to the loot table to make up for Black Hammer? I know they've added ghosts.

Deathsinger challenge explanation:

Crota challenge explanation:

I saved one too. it shows my blue orb viewpoint.

broken links there Conovar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The totems are for the following:

5xGatekeepers to light up the 5 right hand side ones, Then it triggers the red knights and swords at which point you go ham until they all die which releases more gatekeepers which light up the second 5 totems :P

jonnycivic wrote: »
    The totems are for the following:

5xGatekeepers to light up the 5 right hand side ones, Then it triggers the red knights and swords at which point you go ham until they all die which releases more gatekeepers which light up the second 5 totems :P

I think he knows that Jonny.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think he knows that Jonny.

Just saying...... :P

Man i want to go back to the red knight swordy section again. We gonna try a run at crota tonight?

Would love to. Can't guarantee a time though. Could be a late start for me. All depends on Mrs. Knave, and how she is after nights.

Would love to. Can't guarantee a time though. Could be a late start for me. All depends on Mrs. Knave, and how she is after nights.

Tell her to man up :P ah sure see how ya go, I dont mind holding off so I can play some horizon or do a nf or something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Tonight is good for me. That was great fun last night, even if I did spend the fun parts as an orb...

That ir yut challenge was on the wire, was full sure we failed when I seen the timer hit zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just saying...... :P

Man i want to go back to the red knight swordy section again. We gonna try a run at crota tonight?

I'd be up for a run tonight Jonny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Nothing different from any other Raid on Initial/Challenge Launch Day. Talk the whole thing to death. Throw our heads against the wall for a lot of runs. Change roles/sides/responsibilities. Eventually it all starts coming together.

It is a pain having to make a decision to go for the Crota Kill on the 3rd sword or holding back on swings/attempts there in an effort to ensure he doesn't Enrage and you can kill him with the 4th Sword.

I legit totally forgot about Ogres after 2nd Sword and Crota summoning his Oversoul/Enraging (and wiping ye if you're not fast) when he is (i think) 2xR2 slams away from Death regardless.

I remember being EXTREMELY vocal back in the day about other people learning to run the sword back when this Raid was "On level". And there was very little take up. Doing the Raid 3x a week and having to get the actual Crota kill on my Hunter all 3 times (before hoping for a kill as Warlock/Titan, or even joining others at the Crota CP, even going so far as to LFG for it) was a pain.

I think players were less likely to want to step into a Role with that much responsibility before. But thankfully Kings Fall and WotM have a LOT of mechanics and important roles just "thrust" upon most of the team now. The Challenge modes, the Oryx encounter and Aksis being good examples. There's very little space for "I'll just kill Mobs" there.

Now that you have people who are LL400 and can go in and do a Normal Mode run at ~160LL, it would be the time to practice imho

I can honestly say I'm not going to have a whole pile of patience/sympathy for people who don't know how to run sword on Crota and also (more importantly) don't want to try sufficiently to learn (not just a single attempt and cancel etc). The encounter requires 3 (really, really good) or 4 Sword Carriers now. It's not good enough to stay quiet, everyone needs to pitch in and give it a shot.

Honestly, it ain't even that hard. Once you've done it maybe 8 times, you have it down. Silly mistakes will still happen on your 80th run anyway (as I was testament to last night :P )

The Abyss
    Armour
    • Class item
    • Guarenteed Legendary Engram
    Weapons
    • N/A
    Inventory
    • 'Knuckles of Eao' - Reward Buff

The Bridge
    Armour
    • Arms
    Weapons
    • Swordbreaker (Shotgun)
    • Light of the Abyss (Fusion Rifle)
    • Hunger of Crota (Rocket Launcher)

Shreikers Run - Thrall Wave
    • Chest now carries a chance at non Adept Exotic Drops
    • Class item chance award in the chest at the end if you make it in time

Ir Yut, Deathsinger
    Armour
    • Chest
    • Boots
    Weapons
    • Black Spindle
    • Word of Crota / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Fang of Ir Yut / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Abyss Defiant a / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Oversoul Edict a / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Guarenteed 1 Age of Triumph Ornament for Challenge Mode Completion

Crota
    Armour
    • Helmet
    Weapons
    • Word of Crota / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Fang of Ir Yut / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Abyss Defiant a / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Oversoul Edict a / Adept version from Challenge Mode completion guaranteed
    • Song of Ir Yut (LMG)
    • Ghost
    • Sparrow
    • Ship - Bane of the Dark Gods

Guaranteed 1 Age of Triumph Ornament for Challenge Mode Completion
    Emblem for Challenge Mode Completion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I think they should have randomised the sword bearer like the runner at the Sisters.

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here. :eek::eek::eek:

I reckon I could pull off close to that CE 1 sword kill on the 1st sword given another shot tbh. I was really rinsing him a few times last night.

Tiredness and overall rustiness at Destiny (~3 months off) and CE overall didn't help me. Not using a Warlock (unlike last night) and being sober and alert/awake would be better.

We didn't even think to try 3 runs with 1 sword last night. Were too busy trying to mitigate against risks elsewhere. If there's a time to do that, it would be 1st sword.

Reasons being 1) Easier to kite the Swordbearer as I'm usually down there before him (like in the vid) as opposed to later when he has usually already spawned and went walk about. 2) We'd have full Heavy and Secondary ammo then, so wouldn't have to worry about lack of Rockets for Kneeling or Sniper for Oversoul 3) More than likely have full health and can set up more calmly

The better we can do on Sword 1, the more likely it is we won't need a 4th Sword, which is good news.

Also, the more time/slams with the sword, the more likely to have the Sword Super, i usually had it just about as the sword despawned.

Obviously I don't think I'd be quiet as risky as these lads on the 3rd run, as if you mess up, you're dead, and secondly I wouldn't have WoL on a Hunter/Warlock anyway and Tether doesn't affect sword damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

It is a pain having to make a decision to go for the Crota Kill on the 3rd sword or holding back on swings/attempts there in an effort to ensure he doesn't Enrage and you can kill him with the 4th Sword.

What is it exactly that can force an enrage? Is it taking too much health off of him too fast?
    Now that you have people who are LL400 and can go in and do a Normal Mode run at ~160LL, it would be the time to practice imho

We took a page from this book and mixed it between legit runs, and a few practice ones, as even confident sword bearers in our group hadn't hit him in so long, just to freshen up. We decided our strongest sword runner would go third, allowing less experienced to go first and get in the practice. Jonny was our first sword bearer who was cheeeeeeeky by the end of it getting in about four slams a go. Eventually we moved me to send with strongest last. I've never slammed well... Ever... But somehow sword bearing felt more comfortable last night, he feels closer to you as you go up to his platform. My Titan wasn't he best to go in on as i was battling the floaty, bit i was managing 2 and 2 on my slams. We had him down to a sliver on about 2/3 attempts. Was good stuff. We left it as getting late, but happy we had most of it under control.

PetKing wrote: »
    What is it exactly that can force an enrage? Is it taking too much health off of him too fast?

We took a page from this book and mixed it between legit runs, and a few practice ones, as even confident sword bearers in our group hadn't hit him in so long, just to freshen up. We decided our strongest sword runner would go third, allowing less experienced to go first and get in the practice. Jonny was our first sword bearer who was cheeeeeeeky by the end of it getting in about four slams a go. Eventually we moved me to send with strongest last. I've never slammed well... Ever... But somehow sword bearing felt more comfortable last night, he feels closer to you as you go up to his platform. My Titan wasn't he best to go in on as i was battling the floaty, bit i was managing 2 and 2 on my slams. We had him down to a sliver on about 2/3 attempts. Was good stuff. We left it as getting late, but happy we had most of it under control.

At one point I was managing to get 4 slams and 2 swipes into him before jumping and swinging the sword like a maniac to get out of his way :pac:

Not bad for my first ever Crota sword attempts and with my hunter who is nowehere near specced well enough for the raid yet tbh so I was happy out with that last night and I know now exactly what to do with the sword :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Johnny just slapping crota around giving zero ****s was hilarious. Longer we went the braver he was getting.
    Think we got the mechanic fairly nailed down by the end last night.

Also.. Ir yut challenge on the first go.. #eliteteam

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Johnny just slapping crota around giving zero ****s was hilarious. Longer we went the braver he was getting.
    Think we got the mechanic fairly nailed down by the end last night.

Also.. Ir yut challenge on the first go.. #eliteteam

Next time I'm taking my titan in so I can Bubble and get more damage, and possibly an extra slap or two aswell. :D

Also I see above in the 1 sword vdeo the lob 3 sets of rockets at him for 3 sword swipes, we were only running 2 swipes??

PetKing wrote: »

Essentially, no matter what happens regarding him kneeling/number of swords etc, he will enrage and summon an oversoul (that you cannot kill) when he is at about 10% health or ~1.5x R2 Slams (think). So you need to time your runs with the 3rd or 4th Swords so that you don't take too much off him.
    I've never slammed well... Ever... But somehow sword bearing felt more comfortable last night, he feels closer to you as you go up to his platform.

I think the timing on him becoming vulnerable after the "immunity" when he stands back up is shorter.

I always found he was on the Left 70%+ of runs when I jumped up with a long winded, floaty, hang time Warlock Jump from the Right. It was a pain
    At one point I was managing to get 4 slams and 2 swipes into him before jumping and swinging the sword like a maniac to get out of his way :pac:

I one sword overall (2 or more kneels) or in one kneel?

Essentially, no matter what happens regarding him kneeling/number of swords etc, he will enrage and summon an oversoul (that you cannot kill) when he is at about 10% health or ~1.5x R2 Slams (think). So you need to time your runs with the 3rd or 4th Swords so that you don't take too much off him.

I think the timing on him becoming vulnerable after the "immunity" when he stands back up is shorter.

I always found he was on the Left 70%+ of runs when I jumped up with a long winded, floaty, hang time Warlock Jump from the Right. It was a pain

I one sword overall (2 or more kneels) or in one kneel?

In one Kneel :D

• Advertisement

In one Kneel :D

Well far be it from me to call BS..... But you physically cannot do that many swings and connect in one kneel.

Even if you do all the tips tricks (lean into him, be up there before rockets hit, use Sword super to interrupt slam animation, hit him before he kneels completely as his shield is lowered). He was probably "immune" for some of the later swings. Happy to stand corrected, but I think the maximum combos you can do in terms of swings/damage are...

R1 - R2 - R2 - Super Slam - R2
    4x R2 (requires 99.9999999% perfect timing, much harder now since you can't drop the sword and do Invis Blink Strike as a hunter) - slightly less damage than above

Happy to stand corrected though. But this was extensively tested wayyyyyy back in the day. Now unless he stays "vulnerable" for longer overall (I don't think he does) it should be the same as before

I'd go digging, but we all know someone will go an do a video/guide and upload it somewhere if they have not already done so.

Advertisement