Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your age?

• 03-03-2017 7:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

Feels like I am the only person with a motorbike in Ireland that's in his early 20s. Not a single motorbike in my college(except me) and the only bikers I see are older gentlemen in their late 30s or 40s with cruisers. See a lot of bikes on my commute but maybe have seen 2 bikers my age during my 2 years of commuting. Anyway what's your age?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Feels like I am the only person with a motorbike in Ireland that's in his early 20s. Not a single motorbike in my college(except me) and the only bikers I see are older gentlemen in their late 30s or 40s with cruisers. See a lot of bikes on my commute but maybe have seen 2 bikers my age during my 2 years of commuting. Anyway what's your age?

Old enough to be your da.

Why you need to know peoples ages here??

Very personal question to ask.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

Old enough to be your da.

Why you need to know peoples ages here??

Very personal question to ask.:pac:

Hahaha most bikers are, not looking for exact age. I need it for research purposes. I don't consider it personal, it's not like anyone cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hahaha most bikers are, not looking for exact age. I need it for research purposes. I don't consider it personal, it's not like anyone cares.

Post your research here 1st before you ask peoples ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Older gentlemen ? You cheeky little b0ll0x :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A big reason is insurance and the hoops to go through to get a licence.

When I started it was impossible to insure a car and near impossible to insure a bike but could be got cheaper back then so that's why I started on bikes and loved it.

The downside is the weather and other road users.

• Advertisement

A big reason is insurance and the hoops to go through to get a licence.

When I started it was impossible to insure a car and near impossible to insure a bike but could be got cheaper back then so that's why I started on bikes and loved it.

The downside is the weather and other road users.

Motorbike insurance for me is much cheaper than a car on a full license. Difference though is on a bike you do your IBT and are allowed on the road while on the cage you are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm in the bracket that you mention and when I go out on the bike I only see people of an even older generation. I don't ride a cruiser thought and very few of the others I see on the roads are on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Old duffer (52) riding a young man's bike here. Cruiser me @rse. :D

I've noticed exactly the same change - when I was 18-20, it was mostly young lads drove bikes. Now they're all too busy driving around in modded cars and bad haircuts; there's only us old farts left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

How do you tell someones age under a helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

And I'm old enough to be your dad as well lol
    Same as above when I was young car insurance was a joke now I've 2 bikes insured for 30 euro less than the car ffs and no I don't ride a cruiser either about an hour ago I finished servicing the fireblade so she's ready for action when the weather gets better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Wood

older gentlemen in their late 30s

Well f*ck right off.(I'm only 34)

Nah there was a discussion on a different forum about where the younger generation of bikers will come from.

It's either you're in or not. Scrotes are into subarus and civics nowadays. But it will come back around.

By the time you're hitting 30 with full no claims bonus those lads will be paying 2000 insurance on a gn125.

Enjoy it now and enjoy the next 4 or 5 bikes you will inevitably buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

sonofenoch wrote: »
    How do you tell someones age under a helmet?
    You can tell by the size of the chicken strips. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just add a poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Mid 20s, couple of friends have gotten into bikes the last year or two. Up to that it was just me. It's not easy to get in the road these days.

Haven't lived in Ireland for a few years, going back shortly. Hoping to see a few heads closer to my own age at any rally's I can get to this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Biking in Ireland is a dying hobby , so it shows that the RSA is doing its job, get everyone into cars.....theres no encouragement to get younger lads onto bikes, as said above they'd rather be driving around in their larger than needed cars. In years to come i can see problems with too many cars on our little roads, more tolls and fees to drive into cities in order to get people OUT of cars..... most young guys are fathers these days so the car is a necessity..an in truth they just arent ar$ed with bikes...except when they turn up in droves at the road races for a fight..:rolleyes:

Mid 50's btw....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

39 and have an mt07, got my first bike (bandit) at 34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

51 this Thursday.

Biking since I was 18.

Rode a cruiser once, didn't like the position. Riding a Vstrom now, and I never thought I'd say this but I think my next bike will be a brand new Burgman 650 or a scooter along those lines. (I hope that this is just a passing phase).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

When I were a lad, Dublin was absolutely teeming with (youngsters on) bikes. Couriers on CG125's swarmed like starlings, DT 125/175's for the starter-outers, LC350's / GPZ's for those in their mid-twenties. Oldsters were a rarity.

It seems to me that biking is dying off - it's being killed by the 1000 cuts of multiple barriers to entry. Nowadays there are relatively few bikes and it's a rarity to see someone young. The older bikers are likely those who had a bike when they were young so reason to get into it again later.

But who's going to fill their boots - if no new seed is being sown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anyway what's your age?

Jaysus a Guard wouldn't ask you that... wait actually, they ask you that kind of thing all the time. Never mind.

I'm 35. Started riding when I was 26. I'm not the biggest cruiser fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest cruiser fan :)

tddw4q9p.jpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Started when I was 18 (in Scotland), now an auld yin.

Out of 150-odd in our last year at school I could only count two others that had a bike. One that more or less sank his money into a car when he could afford it (I'd totalled it and got done for DD) and another who whilst riding pillion on his own DR200 with no pillion pegs, got his heel caught in the back wheel at high speed. Took a handful of spokes out and spent 6 months in the hospital getting it rebuilt. He eventually bought a bike again.

There was only one other I can think of that much later after leaving school bought a scooter to get round Glasgow for a bit, but I think he gave up on that.

Everyone else got cars. I can't think of any others, but there guess there must have been some that started much later in life. I know two riders that got their licence due to my influence and borrowing my 125 when they were around 30.

I suppose most folk following what everyone else is doing, so if they are all learning to drive...

Of my current friends and acquaintances I can only think of two blokes that I work with that have two-wheelers. One is mad keen on his old scooter and the other is a fair-weather rider that must manage about 4 months a year :p

I'm a billy nae mates, so there must be more than that proportion around??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Biking in Ireland is a dying hobby , so it shows that the RSA is doing its job, get everyone into cars.....theres no encouragement to get younger lads onto bikes, as said above they'd rather be driving around in their larger than needed cars. In years to come i can see problems with too many cars on our little roads, more tolls and fees to drive into cities in order to get people OUT of cars..... most young guys are fathers these days so the car is a necessity..an in truth they just arent ar$ed with bikes...except when they turn up in droves at the road races for a fight..:rolleyes:

Mid 50's btw....;)

With the way car insurance is going I can see a lot of people getting back into bikes especially since the RSA have adopted the proper licencing system.

Our, and the UKs, biggest problem with getting people onto bikes was the archaic laws we used to have which didn't allow 14 year old onto mopeds. So unless you where in a biking family or knew a biker you'd have no exposure to them and only think they are death traps, where as our European neighbours knew that they are a handy way to beat traffic and since there's 500m of them they know they aren't death traps. Go to any European city and you'll see everyone from a granny to a hipster belting around on a scooter or moped. Go to any UK/Ireland city and there's very few people using scooters to get around and our weather isn't much different as they still get rain and cold over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

51 this Thursday.

Biking since I was 18.

Rode a cruiser once, didn't like the position. Riding a Vstrom now, and I never thought I'd say this but I think my next bike will be a brand new Burgman 650 or a scooter along those lines. (I hope that this is just a passing phase).

52 monday coming , been biking for around 10 yrs, never been on a cruiser. My bike is a beemer R1200gs. Even though it is a bit heavy to push around it is a dream to ride. I have to say that I don't think I know anyone else with a bike and I have worked with an awful lot of people over the years. The only other biker I have known was my ex neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

OP - heading for Five-Oh here .....and looking around the RDS yesterday I can see why you think the way you do....

Have a look at my comment on the show here :

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057711430/2/#post102821808

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

35 and riding 1 year, had subarus and civics when i was younger, always wanted a bike, finally realized the "you will kill yourself on a bike" was a load of tosh, bought one and regret not doing it 10 years ago, its a blast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Lol there are a few of us Ladies on bikes too :) Regarding your question, I'm the same age as my tongue but a bit older than my teeth :D Early 40s actually but that's all you're getting lol
    Most of the bikers i know would be older than me, I didn't get my first proper bike until i was in my 20s, as i didn't have any need for my own transport before that and i'm from a family of cagers. The few bikers younger than me that i know all switched to cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

jay48 wrote: »
    Older gentlemen ? You cheeky little b0ll0x :-D

Cruisers was worse.

cadete wrote: »
    35 and riding 1 year, had subarus and civics when i was younger, always wanted a bike, finally realized the "you will kill yourself on a bike" was a load of tosh, bought one and regret not doing it 10 years ago, its a blast!

Too right. There is a general negative attitude with motorbikes that most people don't even consider it at all and most of the attitude comes from people that have never ridden bikes and have negative bias towards them, as a result they convert others into the same mindset and they never even consider bikes as a method of transportation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

42, riding bikes since I was about 5.

I've a blade now and can't see that changing any day soon, there's also a ZXR750 in the shed as an 'alternative'.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

38 in two weeks time. I can feel a midlife crisis bike sneaking up but I've done the whole Harley and BMW thing !!

Advertisement