Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your age?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

mecanno37 wrote: »
    52 monday coming , been biking for around 10 yrs, never been on a cruiser. My bike is a beemer R1200gs. Even though it is a bit heavy to push around it is a dream to ride. I have to say that I don't think I know anyone else with a bike and I have worked with an awful lot of people over the years. The only other biker I have known was my ex neighbour.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I am almost 32 (April!)...riding bikes since October 2011. Happy to say I have influenced a handful of other people my age to pick it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

In my thirties, but not a gentleman... or even a man for that matter, but thanks for the generalisation. 

Anyway, I've seen nothing but restrictions on bikes since I've been on them. This crap with paying tax for the whole year? I only have my bike out in summer months. Ice and bikes, hail and bikes, aqua planing and bikes? Not for me. I used to tax and insure it for the summer months. No can do anymore. So it's considerably more expensive, and in my humble opinion, a terrible idea which incentivises people taking their bike out in unfavourable conditions. 
    The license is a complete farce. It is very difficult to do that turnabout on longer bikes. I know people who have to hire a bike to do the new test. Another financial roadblock and a hindrance.
    Anyway, Happy biking. Don't forget us girls on two wheels exist too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

88 euro for a years tax is no bigge,infact its cheap so that shouldnt even be a talking point.

And as for the test and the IBT,its there to make people more road smart and savvy on a bike so they dont fall off or kill themselves 1st time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pwurple wrote: »
    In my thirties, but not a gentleman... or even a man for that matter, but thanks for the generalisation. 

Anyway, I've seen nothing but restrictions on bikes since I've been on them. This crap with paying tax for the whole year? I only have my bike out in summer months. Ice and bikes, hail and bikes, aqua planing and bikes? Not for me. I used to tax and insure it for the summer months. No can do anymore. So it's considerably more expensive, and in my humble opinion, a terrible idea which incentivises people taking their bike out in unfavourable conditions. 
    The license is a complete farce. It is very difficult to do that turnabout on longer bikes. I know people who have to hire a bike to do the new test. Another financial roadblock and a hindrance.
    Anyway, Happy biking. Don't forget us girls on two wheels exist too.

There's a few things in that :

You can insure your bike for a year, and suspend the policy when not in use - you get a credit at year end, and importantly, still accrue NCB.
    Tax, sure, I agree, but I'd rather pay €88 and ride it, than no tax and leave it in the garage......
    As for turning the bike, that's just training : btdt, and I'm not suggesting you need to travel this far to learn it, but I was nearby on hols and did a half-day with this guy and it was fantastic. Didn't pass 15mph all day.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/online-videos/

Watch 15yr old Victoria progress over a few bikes, very quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuyz3WDap9Q

I now ride my H-D like my Vespa :)

Myself and a few others are trying to arrange that kind of training for people here atmo, as it is not the normal rider licence training, so I think there's a lot of benefit in it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

88 euro for a years tax is no bigge,infact its cheap so that shouldnt even be a talking point.

And as for the test and the IBT,its there to make people more road smart and savvy on a bike so they dont fall off or kill themselves 1st time around.

€88 is around a days wage, if you really can't scrape together that when you've a year to do so then something's very wrong. Its one of the best things about having a bike in Ireland versus a car.

Im 22 in a couple of months. I done my IBT there in summer 2015 and I do on average 150-200 miles a week and I haven't had any spills or anything so I must thank the IBT for that, its expensive in so far as you have to pay it in a lump of 500 quid but its certainly worth it.

I'd never driven anything before so learning an ER6 was a baptism of fire to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanryan58

Hey folks,
    Sorry if there is a designated forum for these kind of q's but I didn't really know where to look. If there is can ye point me that direction and I'll go there!

Anyway. 25, got my provisional, saving up for the IBT. Have ye any recommendations for good bikes to start out with. I plan on being on bikes for a long time so I will be going bigger, I just don't want to go buying a small 125 and getting sick of it quickly. Also are there any restrictions regarding having a provisional and a large bike, Its the A licence I have but just concerned about the size of the engine. Obviously I don't plan on going too large as I'll end up paying triple the bikes value on insurance due to being a learner.

Any advice on beginner size/brand.
    Advice on good insurance companies.
    Advice on good IBT trainers in the Galway area.

Also seeing as I can't ride until I've the IBT done wouldn't that mean I could only use my own bike for IBT if it arrived by trailer, IE i couldn't ride there (legally anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

seanryan58 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Sorry if there is a designated forum for these kind of q's but I didn't really know where to look. If there is can ye point me that direction and I'll go there!

Anyway. 25, got my provisional, saving up for the IBT. Have ye any recommendations for good bikes to start out with. I plan on being on bikes for a long time so I will be going bigger, I just don't want to go buying a small 125 and getting sick of it quickly. Also are there any restrictions regarding having a provisional and a large bike, Its the A licence I have but just concerned about the size of the engine. Obviously I don't plan on going too large as I'll end up paying triple the bikes value on insurance due to being a learner.

Also seeing as I can't ride until I've the IBT done wouldn't that mean I could only use my own bike for IBT if it arrived by trailer, IE i couldn't ride there (legally anyway)

What do you plan on using biking for?

Can't go wrong with a Honda CBR 250/400 or a Ninja 250/300...for starting out. Highly recommended by many as a good reliable forgiving beginners bike. Powerful enough to have fun on too. Yamaha do some nice smaller bikes too.

I started on a 250, and was happy I did, as I tried things and learned things that I wouldn't dare on a larger bike. Still own my first 250, and ride it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

43 this year, had bikes for 25 years now (fcuk I feel old reading that!) have a blade the last 6 years and still haven't found a reason to replace it, been on sports bikes all my life, albeit in th UK for most of that time, in NCD now

Don't get out as often as I'd like but family life has to be factored in somewhere

29, had a moped when I was 16 and then had a few other 125's through early 20's I bought to repair but didn't ride on the road again till I got a gsxr last year. Friends had off road bikes so I had been on them in between.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

seanryan58 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Depends what you will use it for since you are unrestricted from the start you have many more options but if you have never ridden a bike before its best to start slow as even the weak 250-300cc bikes are faster than most cars in Ireland. I have ridden my 250 for a long time now and yes I am feeling the need to move up but if I went straight to a 600cc sports bike then I would be probably dead or in a hospital, as a learner you will inevitably make mistakes and everyone does. One thing I would definitely look for is ABS, people can say what they want about learning on a bike without any aids but it can literally save your life. A lot of the times the car drivers don't see you and you need to emergency brake as they can turn in front of you unexpectedly(you will learn to predict a lot of it with time).
    If I was you I would go for either
    CBR 500 or one of the 650cc bikes as they have enough power for the motorway and are easy to manuevour in city as well.
    Other similar options are ninja 250, 300 and Yamaha r3. These bikes are mainly for the A2 restricted license holders but are excellent to learn as they are forgiving and easy to learn on you can then move to the bigger bikes at a later date. You can get cheap used bike for learning.
    Regarding schools is that I have never seen a school that does not provide their own bikes for training so that shouldn't be a problem.
    A lot of schools have Facebook pages which allow reviews and they are usually a good indicator of the quality of service they provide.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Feels like I am the only person with a motorbike in Ireland that's in his early 20s. Not a single motorbike in my college(except me) and the only bikers I see are older gentlemen in their late 30s or 40s with cruisers. See a lot of bikes on my commute but maybe have seen 2 bikers my age during my 2 years of commuting. Anyway what's your age?

what college are you in? what bike you ridin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm 30, riding almost two years and adore it. I don't see a huge amount of bikes around the college campus but there's a few.

On the upside, I'm part of the UCC Motorcycle Club (only uni club in Ireland) and it's great craic. Meet every Wednesday night, work on project bikes or our own and have the chats. And there's a number of younger bikers there, so it's not completely dead. Maybe more of a niche thing than it used to be, but there's still a young generation coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanryan58

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses!
    Rang liberty to see what kind of ballpark id be in insurance wise, and despite having an A provisional, they wont insure me on a 600cc. Now I haven't checked what they will insure but its slightly irritating!

I'm just wondering, what are good telltale signs of a bike. Like with cars you look at mileage, if any key components have been replaced etc, but whats the protocol for bikes. I know the mechanical operations of the engines etc but just unsure of what is too high mileage, what should be replaced and when, service intervals etc!

Also does the riding style effect how you learn, eg if you learned on a cruiser like a dragstar would the change in body position of i bought something like a ninja or cbr have much of an effect of is it just a case of getting used to be in those positions, and which is easier to learn on?

Advertisement