Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss - Ski Baggage

• 03-03-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I've booked a flight on the "light" fare, which doesn't include a checked bag. I phoned up their customer care enquiring about transporting ski gear, and they said it would cost €50 each way. The charge for a normal bag is €15 each way.

Swiss seem to sell themselves as a ski airline and have found it hard to decipher their exact policy on ski gear on their website.

How strict are they on the ski gear? i.e. do you think I can get away with using a ski bag, padding it out with clothes around the gear and putting it in as a normal checked bag?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

sternn wrote: »
    I've booked a flight on the "light" fare, which doesn't include a checked bag. I phoned up their customer care enquiring about transporting ski gear, and they said it would cost €50 each way. The charge for a normal bag is €15 each way.

Swiss seem to sell themselves as a ski airline and have found it hard to decipher their exact policy on ski gear on their website.

How strict are they on the ski gear? i.e. do you think I can get away with using a ski bag, padding it out with clothes around the gear and putting it in as a normal checked bag?

I thought by reputation it was free. But given that they're telling you its not, the chances of you getting away with what you're suggesting is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simba99

I would have thought it was free also. I went skiing recently and flew with Swiss but didn't have ski-equipment.
    With regard to carry-on they're very easy-going. I had two bags each of carry on and nothing was said. I usually tend to wear my ski-jacket etc. when travelling.. Not sure if that's an option for you.

My take away is that they are flexible and everything is negotiable. Worst case is that you get you get stung for the €50 each which you can't see you weren't aware of.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I'd love to know the answer to this. As said I've seen the advertised as free carriage, but their website is clear as mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

Hi
    I travelled with Swiss in December and brought my snowboard. However i selected the classic fare which includes 23kgs checked in bag. i then emailed them to inform them that I would be bringing my snowboard and packed my clothes around it and filled it up to the 23kgs no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

If you travel on the classic fare the 23kg checked bag can be a ski bag. I've done this a few times with them, I have a large ski bag that fits my skis, boots, helmet, gear etc and comes in around 22/23kg and that is counted as my checked bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

DoraDelite wrote: »
    If you travel on the classic fare the 23kg checked bag can be a ski bag. I've done this a few times with them, I have a large ski bag that fits my skis, boots, helmet, gear etc and comes in around 22/23kg and that is counted as my checked bag.
    Agreed with DoraDelite on this and I do the same. Went with my brother early in the season and he tried to do what the OP suggested and got stung on the day. He accidentally booked the light option so was ready (and happy) to pay the extra, but they were having none of it at check-in when we tried to see if we could get away with it on the light option. Whether or not the situation would be the same if it was a small bag with just skis we don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

This is how it works
    Light fare = cabin bag only
    Classic fare = One bag up to 23kg plus cabin bag plus ski equipment in Europe in Winter.
    You don't have to pre advise or book skis in advance.
    I have done this loads of times.

Book light fare and you have hold bag so no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Kaisr Sose wrote:
    This is how it works Light fare = cabin bag only Classic fare = One bag up to 23kg plus cabin bag plus ski equipment in Europe in Winter. You don't have to pre advise or book skis in advance. I have done this loads of times.

When youre used to Aer L/Ryan Air this is mad. Haha

Advertisement