Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Your Desktop!

Options
  • 03-03-2017 10:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd post this, as I see an awful lot of these pop up in Linux Groups on Facebook and thought it might be of interest to some here.

410827.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Nothing too exciting going on in my desktop although Variety changes the background every 20 mins or so.

2lo1ag0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Worztron

2 Fedora setups. Are they both MATE?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mine is Cinnamon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

# uname -a
    AIX lameduck 1 6 00C7A4264C00
    # ulimit
    unlimited
    #

Worztron wrote: »
    2 Fedora setups. Are they both MATE?

Yup MATE for me, used to use Cinnamon after Gnome went to the dark side but it took to crashing regularly in some previous version of Fedora so I hopped over to MATE & haven't looked back.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Yup MATE for me, used to use Cinnamon after Gnome went to the dark side but it took to crashing regularly in some previous version of Fedora so I hopped over to MATE & haven't looked back.

I never liked Cinnamon -- it reminded me too much of KDE. I started my Linux journey on Gnome2 and the switch to MATE was a natural step. :-)

Just wondering -- do you upgrade with each Fedora release or do you do a fresh install? I use Debian Stable.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Just wondering -- do you upgrade with each Fedora release or do you do a fresh install? I use Debian Stable.

Clean install via kickstart each time as I need to be using as an identical install as possible to the other punters at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

That's not your desktop, it's just a 12 year old going through why his is so 1337 h@X0rz.

By the way, for people watching it, mute!

I'm not at home, but am running Peppermint 7 (will attach a screenshot later).

No other themepacks or iconpacks installed. Quite boring really! (aw)

EDIT... as I said "boring"

Oj1wxsG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

A very very very vanilla install of ubuntu 16.10.

I just re-installed after trying out gnome and mate. Mate was great to go back to the gnome 2 style desktop, but I found I have become too used to unity and found it hard to go back to it.

411287.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Arch Linux with XFCE desktop environment

uc?export=download&id=0B3_RVJ50UWFAb2RHSU1MNFdfbE0

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jimgoose wrote: »
    # uname -a
    AIX lameduck 1 6 00C7A4264C00
    # ulimit
    unlimited
    #

I can out-obscure that with stuff I have to support...
     Welcome to HP OpenVMS Industry Standard 64 Operating System, Version V8.4

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

L1011 wrote: »
    I can out-obscure that with stuff I have to support...
     Welcome to HP OpenVMS Industry Standard 64 Operating System, Version V8.4

*shudder*

No problem: STOP /ALL

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

411684.pngArch Linux with Cinnamon desktop environment on this laptop

411744.jpg

I censored some personal/sensitive info. ;-)

411744.jpg

I censored some personal/sensitive info. ;-)

Love the desktop background! :D

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Love the desktop background! :D

Thank you Joe. It's The Lord of the Rings.

Thank you Joe. It's The Lord of the Rings.

Yeah I got that. Thanks though ;)

Yeah I got that. Thanks though ;)

It could have been The Hobbit. ;-)

411825.jpgDebian Jessie with MATE 1.8.1 and Variety wallpaper changer on my Mac Pro 1,1.

• Advertisement

Debian Jessie with MATE 1.8.1 and Variety wallpaper changer on my Mac Pro 1,1.

Sorry if this is off topic, but why Iron and not Chromium?

I thought SRWare were caught out with being dubious about their code (would be handy with a source link, but can't find the article!)

me_irl wrote: »
    Sorry if this is off topic, but why Iron and not Chromium?

I thought SRWare were caught out with being dubious about their code (would be handy with a source link, but can't find the article!)

No specific reason really, just remembered using Iron a few years back and thought I'd give it another go. Hadnt heard that about their source code, if you can find a link to an article on that I'll check it out! :D

No specific reason really, just remembered using Iron a few years back and thought I'd give it another go. Hadnt heard that about their source code, if you can find a link to an article on that I'll check it out! :D

Found this (quite old so can't attest to any changes that were made since)... http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/srware-iron-browser-a-real-private-alternative-to-chrome-21/

I went from using Iron, to Firefox, to Brave (really recommend that!), to Vivaldi, to Opera to Chroimium. So my current browser setup is Firefox + Chromium with Brave installed just to see how it fares.

me_irl wrote: »
    Found this (quite old so can't attest to any changes that were made since)... http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/srware-iron-browser-a-real-private-alternative-to-chrome-21/

I went from using Iron, to Firefox, to Brave (really recommend that!), to Vivaldi, to Opera to Chroimium. So my current browser setup is Firefox + Chromium with Brave installed just to see how it fares.

Cheers, never heard of Brave. Will check it out. I'm a bit of a browser hopper myself, always used Firefox but it seems to get slower and slower over the years. Chromium is always a solid choice. Vivaldi always intrigued me but I never really gave it a proper go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Screenshot%20from%202017-04-11%2022-14-44.png

Mint 18

@Anesthetize Very nice setup there.

Advertisement