Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACS880 over-current/PAT Test.

Options
  • 03-03-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Drive.
    I am looking for a parameter on the new ACS880 drive, particularly the over-current protection setting. I can find various max current and other current settings down as the FLC rating that is ok. I am just playing it safe that I am recording the correct setting. Is it the max-current?

PAT
    I recently noticed a PAT test being carried out on some IT/PCs in the control room...To cut long story short one of the testes is a insulation resistance across L-N at 500v if I remember, is this not mental to try on a PC, 500vdc across the electronic's?

Note I don't do PAT testing myself so I am not sure whats the norm now days.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Normally, I would use the Motor's FLC from the rating plate when setting up a drive. If in doubt, ring ABB and I'm sure they will advise you better. I am not familiar with these drives personally, mainly use Omron or Rockwell.

In general, I wouldn't connect electronics to a PAT tester, it will most likely fail anyway due to the switch mode power supply, at worst it will fry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Howdy,

PAT
    I recently noticed a PAT test being carried out on some IT/PCs in the control room...To cut long story short one of the testes is a insulation resistance across L-N at 500v if I remember, is this not mental to try on a PC, 500vdc across the electronic's?
    PAT Testing does not, and never has included an insulation resistance test between live conductors - it is an insulation test with all live conductors connected together to the cpc (Class I), or probing across the equipment (Class II).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When a motor is run at lower speeds they run hotter because the fan is turning slower. For this reason the motors are not normally run at full load current at lower speeds. The motor manufacturer will provide you with this information.
    What size motor and what cable length from the drive to the motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It's 16mm2, and the flc on theplate is 32amps. It's all installed, I am just doing testing on the dcs AI/AO between the drive. I have to do a test sheet for the motor/drive it states fuse size I know and overcurrent protection I don't. It's a new drive and it has a few parameters for current I'm not sure which one I need to note.

I can always email abb ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Howdy,

PAT
    PAT Testing does not, and never has included an insulation resistance test between live conductors - it is an insulation test with all live conductors connected together to the cpc (Class I), or probing across the equipment (Class II).
    Ah that's it so, I take it the PAT tester does this internally?

Its perfectly possible to do PAT tests with a multifunction tester so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Howdy,

PAT
    Ah that's it so, I take it the PAT tester does this internally?

Its perfectly possible to do PAT tests with a multifunction tester so?
    Yes this is down internally - the PAT tester will bridge phase and neutral automatically. You could do PAT tests with a multifunction tester (with a link between phase and neutral pins for the insulation test) - but bear in mind that a multifunction tester will only allow you an earth continuity test at around 200mA maximum. Earth bond tests in a PAT tester (except with sensitive equipment which is reduced to 200mA, e.g. with a functional earth) are carried out at around 25A.

Advertisement