Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaf test drive - recommendations?

• 03-03-2017 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I was a little bored waiting and rang the garage earlier and they gave me test Leaf this afternoon instead of tomorrow

I had never drove electric before in my life so I know it sounds stupid but I was impressed with the performance, quite nippy. Now the weather is bloody awful so I done a bit of a spin around the local area and out onto a main road.

Went home and picked up Misses plus kids and went for a spin. She was surprised at space in back for kids but expressed concern about 3 in back....(2 at present)

Weather calmed around here so went for little spin in dark, just to check it out. Some things I have noticed

• Dim lights are not fantastic, full head lights are good
    • If I lock the back windows to stop kids messing it stops the passenger window as well? Is this correct? I can't even open from my side?
    • Can you adjust the driver seat position? It was too wet to look around but I guess you have more than forward/backward?

So I have car now till Monday, so anything I should be testing etc on it?

I am not overly concerned with checking distance to travel and all that stuff. Was supplied with cable to charge from standard plug so going to use that, cant see myself using charge points....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What model is it?
    I find the LED headlights in the Tekna / SVE great. Maybe just a pinch better than the xenons in my previous cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kceire wrote: »
    What model is it?
    I find the LED headlights in the Tekna / SVE great. Maybe just a pinch better than the xenons in my previous cars.

It's the SV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's the SV

The SVE light output with LEDs is a few levels much better!
    On my SV I used the Osram Nightbreaker + to get to an OK level for my liking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

And you can lift the driver's seat, love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Normal in most cars that when you lock the Windows only the driver one isn't locked.

Driver's seat goes up and down as well as forward and back.

Older Leafs had LED headlights, regardless of variant. Since Leaf 1.5 it's only Tekna/SVE that have them (and they're very good).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I am not overly concerned with checking distance to travel and all that stuff. Was supplied with cable to charge from standard plug so going to use that, cant see myself using charge points....

I think you should go through the motions of using a fast charge point and a slow charge point. It will give you an indication of what you can expect in terms of time taken to charge, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I think you should go through the motions of using a fast charge point and a slow charge point. It will give you an indication of what you can expect in terms of time taken to charge, etc.

With a house full of kids, open the boot and open the public charge cable from the nice bag and then decide where it will go in the boot when its full of "stuff" after a public point charge at a non tethered charge point.
    I have three gran kids so I know what gets accumulated..
    Im my opinion, rolling the cable up each time and putting it back in the zipped bag is a bridge too far.

I have a plan but am working on a world wide patent first!!!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Normal in most cars that when you lock the Windows only the driver one isn't locked.

Driver's seat goes up and down as well as forward and back.

Older Leafs had LED headlights, regardless of variant. Since Leaf 1.5 it's only Tekna/SVE that have them (and they're very good).

Every car I ever had you locked the windows and it locked back only!!

No rain today which is start, big challenge today is getting the double buggy into boot, if it won't go in there could be a major issue

Ok I want to test 3 car seats in back, anybody have car seats in car and what works?

Anyone with 3 with advice? Thanks

• Advertisement

Ok I want to test 3 car seats in back, anybody have car seats in car and what works?

Sorry no, just the 2.

You could try the one below but I believe range is affected slightly.

Should I drive in D or B? dealer said B???

Every car I ever had you locked the windows and it locked back only!!

You sure? That means the driver is not able to control one window. In all my time driving I haven't seen that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Might get away with two boosters and a full seat. No chance of three seats with sides though (hardly any car would though)

Should I drive in D or B? dealer said B???

Doesn't matter much. B is slightly better regen, you need to use the brake pedal a bit less.

I drive in D and flick into B if there is a bit of deceleration ahead, e.g. exiting a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'm not sure of any car you'd get 3 separate child seats in. Here's an expensive option though which might suit:
    https://multimac.co.uk/range

Doesn't matter much. B is slightly better regen, you need to use the brake pedal a bit less.

I drive in D and flick into B if there is a bit of deceleration ahead, e.g. exiting a motorway.

Dealers all suggest B-eco as it maxes the range during the test drive.

Stop the car at a set of lights, beside a BMW ICE!, put it in D, non-eco, and floor it, you will be impressed but it hits the range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stop the car at a set of lights, beside a BMW ICE!, put it in D, non-eco, and floor it, you will be impressed but it hits the range

So you can beat a diesel from the lights when the other person doesn't even know that you are racing them. 10 seconds 0 to 60 isn't good for a vehicle that has full torque from stand still.

Del2005 wrote: »
    So you can beat a diesel from the lights when the other person doesn't even know that you are racing them. 10 seconds 0 to 60 isn't good for a vehicle that has full torque from stand still.

It doesn't have full torque. It's limited at very low speeds and the UK built ones are limited a bit more than the Japan built ones. The original limit was not seen to be sufficient.

http://www.plugincars.com/2013-nissan-leaf-dials-down-ev-torque-127288.html

One thing not mentioned in that article is that limiting torque, reliability is increased.

One thing not mentioned in that article is that limiting torque, reliability is increased.

Stands to reason, like in any industrial process design

• Advertisement

In the glove locker in my Leaf there is a facility to use a key to turn off the airbag A?B
    The dash is also fitted with a icon that I presume lights up if the A?B is disabled
    There is also a slot in the drivers door for a key.

Am told there is no key, so no babies in the front seat.

Seems like the wrong answer, is this Paddy getting shafted again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In the glove locker in my Leaf there is a facility to use a key to turn off the airbag A?B
    The dash is also fitted with a icon that I presume lights up if the A?B is disabled
    There is also a slot in the drivers door for a key.

Am told there is no key, so no babies in the front seat.

Seems like the wrong answer, is this Paddy getting shafted again.

The key is in the fob. There is a slider on the fob and you can pull out the key.

s.welstead wrote: »
    I'm not sure of any car you'd get 3 separate child seats in. Here's an expensive option though which might suit:
    https://multimac.co.uk/range

yeah I know about this, I already contacted them to see which one fits. They used to install them at the docks in Dublin. Not sure if they still do....

KCross wrote: »
    The key is in the fob. There is a slider on the fob and you can pull out the key.

Was just about to post that, dealer showed me yesterday in case I kill the battery:P

Eco? now what is that about? I was spinning around and switched from B to D. Prefer D to be honest.....

What is the eco button about? DO i need to use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Eco? now what is that about? I was spinning around and switched from B to D. Prefer D to be honest.....

It restricts the power so it deadens the car and it cuts back on the heating as well. Don't use it unless you are stuck for range to get to your charger.

If I was an unkind person I'd be tempted to reply with RTFM
    Seriously though D mode gives you max power and reduces range quicker (of you are driving at relatively high speeds)

I don't think that you need to overly concern yourself about B/D - and Eco so much right now. These are things that you will figure out when you're driving the car over a longer duration (if you end up buying a Leaf). People have different preferences - and the nature of the journey you are doing will also play a part in determining which option(s) you use.

It's natural that you prefer D - but B has 2 qualities;

1. It helps to get more juice back into the battery via regen.

2. It saves the brake discs/pads.

I switch at will between B and D. When I anticipate that the traffic ahead is going to result in me having to brake, I switch to B mode instead.

In Eco you will find the car to be 'sluggish'. There's no joy in Eco mode. However, if range is important at the time, it will achieve better results - as it smooths out acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I have a plan but am working on a world wide patent first!!!

I'm a big fan of self-coiling cables. My i3 came with one and the Nissan supplied one for the Leaf was quickly replaced with a self-coiling as well.

It does two things:
    1. Remaps the accelerator to severely soften the response
    2. Limits the cabin AC/heating to max. half power

If you are a disciplined driver and in control of your right foot there will be no difference in the range and without Eco turned on the car is more responsive when you need/want it. One thing to remember is the GOM (Guess-o-meter) that lists your range in km keeps a separate count of how you drive in ECO, so while it may show more km in eco it's only because you've told the car "I'm going to drive like an elderly seamstress"

• Advertisement

Eco limits the power to the motor too, both in terms of throttle position (i.e. with the pedal at any given point you will get more power with Eco off). You can override Eco by pushing the pedal to the floor: there is a button underneath the pedal, which you can feel when you hit it.

mordeith wrote: »
    If I was an unkind person I'd be tempted to reply with RTFM
    Seriously though D mode gives you max power and reduces range quicker (of you are driving at relatively high speeds)

I would if it was actually included with car :D

I would if it was actually included with car :D

Poor show from the dealer there.

With a house full of kids, open the boot and open the public charge cable from the nice bag and then decide where it will go in the boot when its full of "stuff" after a public point charge at a non tethered charge point.

So are we saying he will never access a SCP if he purchases a Leaf? The point you're making simply serves to reinforce the need to test this out - so he knows what is necessary and whether he finds that cumbersome or not.

Or are we just saying he shouldn't have had kids? :D

Im my opinion, rolling the cable up each time and putting it back in the zipped bag is a bridge too far.
    As regards the bag, I tend to charge on a scp 5 times a week - so I don't put the cable back in the ruddy bag...but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It doesn't have full torque. It's limited at very low speeds and the UK built ones are limited a bit more than the Japan built ones. The original limit was not seen to be sufficient.

http://www.plugincars.com/2013-nissan-leaf-dials-down-ev-torque-127288.html

It'll still have more torque than an ICE from a standstill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stop the car at a set of lights, beside a BMW ICE!, put it in D, non-eco, and floor it

0-100km/h in 12s. It will be hard to find a BMW ICE that's slower than that tbh, even including the small 4 cylinder diesel engined ones.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    It'll still have more torque than an ICE from a standstill.

I've owned several ICE cars that had more torque from idle than a Leaf. Granted, you need a big engine, think 4l or 5l V8. My current car has a 3l V6 and although it has more max torque than a Leaf (and nearly 2.5 times the power), it has less torque than the Leaf at idle

• Advertisement

The original point was made in terms of low end torque. Furthermore, it was made as a general point. Lets face it - given the target market of the Leaf, it's hardly going to be attractive to boy racer types. However, its fair to say that low end torque is relatively nippy....is all.

given the target market of the Leaf, it's hardly going to be attractive to boy racer types

:D

You sure? Pope in a Leaf! :p

image006.jpg?itok=q6Fy_Xaw

unkel wrote: »
    0-100km/h in 12s. It will be hard to find a BMW ICE that's slower than that tbh, even including the small 4 cylinder diesel engined ones.

I VBOXed the Mk1.5 at 9.3 seconds. There's also a trick to it, floor the accelerator and shift into drive. Without that it's still sub 10 seconds. Your point stands.... but the Leaf is no 12 second car.
    Lets face it - given the target market of the Leaf, it's hardly going to be attractive to boy racer types.

There is a NISMO Leaf sold in Japan that takes another second off. Can hit 8 seconds flat. It's no i3 (I've got the i3 to 6.5 seconds with some software tweaks)... but still.

nismo-LEAF-front1.jpg

Might be hitting a stumbling block, the actual size of the car, everything else is a tick in box

But today with all 4 in car it was fairly packed....

• Advertisement

it's hardly going to be attractive to boy racer types.

I was pottering around Finglas today, getting her use to her surroundings :)
    It's fair to say I surprised a few cars from the lights. You know the ones, the ones that are edging forward right the way through the sequence from the moment you pull up beside them......floored it and left them :)
    cros13 wrote: »
    I VBOXed the Mk1.5 at 9.3 seconds. There's also a trick to it, floor the accelerator and shift into drive. Without that it's still sub 10 seconds. Your point stands.... but the Leaf is no 12 second car.

There is a NISMO Leaf sold in Japan that takes another second off. Can hit 8 seconds flat. It's no i3 (I've got the i3 to 6.5 seconds with some software tweaks)... but still.

nismo-LEAF-front1.jpg

Now that my friend is cool. Where is the parts list. I've already ordered German plates.......

Might be hitting a stumbling block, the actual size of the car, everything else is a tick in box

Did you try fit all 3 of your child seats?

3 child seats is a stretch in most cars. My oldest had just gone 4 when the youngest was born, so I have a bit of experience in this area :)

We always had large cars (BMW 7-series / 5-series / Saab 9-5) with standard size child seats and that was no problem. In any smaller (less wide) car that would not have been possible. You might have to either buy another car, buy narrower child seat(s) or buy one of those multimacs that s.welstead mentioned.

We can now "size down" to the Ioniq because only the youngest still has a booster, the others don't need child seats anymore.

unkel wrote: »
    We can now "size down" to the Ioniq because only the youngest still has a booster, the others don't need child seats anymore.

We haven't tried the 3 seats, at the moment the 3 seats we have wouldn't fit. They won't fit in the A6...the Axiss alone is huge, we could buy smaller seats and get them in

I think the issue is getting over the drop down from an A6 to the Leaf. The difference in size, I didn't think I would notice but I do.

The better half also says it is a huge drop.

We are agreed electric is way to go etc etc

How does the Ioniq compare in size to Leaf, interior now?

I put the 2 seats in today. Another wouldn't fit. But you would get a third person in the middle. She's at TRX now so in a week or two she will fit in. We can now carry an extra full sized person :)

Also - Nismo Leaf Details : http://insideevs.com/nismo-your-leaf-for-about-10000-or-just-swap-the-vcm-and-get-more-performance-for-1385/

Yup, the VCM is the key bit (~€1200new | ~€800 on fleabay or equiv.). Upgraded brakes and suspension and the rest is just cosmetics.

cros13 wrote: »
    Yup, the VCM is the key bit (~€1200new | ~€800 on fleabay or equiv.). Upgraded brakes and suspension and the rest is just cosmetics.

Feck the home charger. Off to eBay looking for a Nismo VCM now.

Feck the home charger. Off to eBay looking for a Nismo VCM now.

Insurance/warranty issues perhaps...don't know.

It's a Nissan manufactured and sold part. Doesn't increase the motor power, just adjusts the software defined torque curve to give more mid-range power and slightly heavier regen.

I don't think there'd be any implication for insurance or warranty or that it would even be noticed by a leaf mechanic. It's not equivalent to chiptuning or modding a combustion engine where you may be operating the engine outside of normal limits or increasing the total power output.

Ok so test drive complete. Still undecided....

The best bit of test drive. Pulled up to lights and guy is IS200 pulled up beside me. Now I never get involved in this but once he seen electric he started the big revving. Of course big stupid exhaust on car, lowered suspension blah blah blah

So lights went green and I decided to see what would happen. Anyway after about 100m the guy just could not out pace the Leaf so I just slowed up and let him past......I was in fits laughing and when he past out he seen this and drove him absolute nuts

So he floored it....anyway I drove on at standard speed and I seen roundabout coming up. This guy slowed up and waited at roundabout....

I was still laughing, so he was stopped but no traffic on roundabout so I just spun on thru it....again furious vroom vroom from behind me as he floored it and tried to get roundabout as quick as possible...

Anyway he again flew past me but did glance over again as I was in tears at this stage....poor poor little boy racer

Ok so test drive complete. Still undecided....
    So what aspects of it have left you undecided? What concerns do you have about its ability to do the job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement