Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaf test drive - recommendations?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So what aspects of it have left you undecided? What concerns do you have about its ability to do the job?

As my wife says "size matters" :P

And this time she was talking about the car :D:D:D

Everything apart from that is tick in box. I like the drive, she drove around in it and loved it. Perfect for 2 kids but we have little one due in May. 3 kids is going to be a push, even with multimac

Looks are :confused: but we might have got over that once she seen the SVE with full leather as I dont care about outside as long as inside is good....but it is just that little bit small

We just "happened" ;) to drive past a Hyundai garage yesterday and I suddenly remembered the Ioniq :P so luckily they had one sitting out. So we pulled up and had a look. Wasn't open or anything but she got a chance to look around and I had another look.

I think it might be way forward, it is going to cost me a hell of a lot more money but I have asked for updated quote and then we plan on doing 24 hour test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Everything apart from that is tick in box. I like the drive, she drove around in it and loved it. Perfect for 2 kids but we have little one due in May. 3 kids is going to be a push, even with multimac

Looks are :confused: but we might have got over that once she seen the SVE with full leather as I dont care about outside as long as inside is good....but it is just that little bit small

We just "happened" ;) to drive past a Hyundai garage yesterday and I suddenly remembered the Ioniq :P so luckily they had one sitting out. So we pulled up and had a look. Wasn't open or anything but she got a chance to look around and I had another look.

I think it might be way forward, it is going to cost me a hell of a lot more money but I have asked for updated quote and then we plan on doing 24 hour test drive.

What age are your kids apart from the one who is -2mths and counting!?

We have 3 in the back of ours everyday and no major issue but we are not using 3 baby seats.

We have booster with sides, booster with no sides and oldest no booster.

Getting 3 baby seats across the back of any car is a struggle. Not sure the Ioniq would be much different in that regard.Has someone confirmed that?

You can also buy narrow boosters but it depends on the size of your kids whether they work or not for you.

-2 months, nearly 2 and nearly 4

We use bulky seats at the moment that even in the A6 wouldn't work(Axiss been one which take up half of the biggest car)

We did drive over to Tony Kealy yesterday to get some idea's but after spending nearly an hour standing around we left no further on...place was nuts

From the spec I see the Hyundai is a bit bigger in back. I can't remember where I seen that.

Plan is get a view on how much extra it will cost. Then take a 24 hour test on it and see if it is worth the extra...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Get her to try the SVE. Highly recommended! Especially when it comes to the 4 camera view, heated mirrors, seat and steering wheel, leather (which I became a fan to) and last but the most important to me - headlights - the LEDs are perfect!

-2 months, nearly 2 and nearly 4

Realistically you are looking at two full babyseats there. They are bulky(for good reason). The 4yr old could maybe use a narrow booster with sides and put him/her in the middle. That will still be very tight. Not sure there will be an easy solution for that.

The 3-in1 thing that goes across the back seats(cant remember the name of it now), I presume isnt suitable for babies.

If the A6 cant take it, its hard to see the Ioniq or Leaf taking it either.

Let us all know how you figure that out. Its a real problem for most people which has pushed them(and me) into buying a 7-seater until they are all out of seats/boosters.

KCross wrote: »
    Realistically you are looking at two full babyseats there. They are bulky(for good reason). The 4yr old could maybe use a narrow booster with sides and put him/her in the middle. That will still be very tight. Not sure there will be an easy solution for that.

The 3-in1 thing that goes across the back seats(cant remember the name of it now), I presume isnt suitable for babies.

If the A6 cant take it, its hard to see the Ioniq or Leaf taking it either.

Let us all know how you figure that out. Its a real problem for most people which has pushed them(and me) into buying a 7-seater until they are all out of seats/boosters.

Multimac is the 3 seats across back and they can fit into Leaf. I contacted the company last week: https://multimac.co.uk/home

They also do 4 seat version and can take babies

I am seeing if I could sort one out for myself but they are seemingly a pain in ass to fit. I think there was company at the docks that fitted them years ago....

Other option is I was told you could get 3 into back so that is why I wanted to check with Tony Kealy. I might try and drop over this week and see what they say....

Everythign on google seems to refer to US....

Multimac is the 3 seats across back and they can fit into Leaf. I contacted the company last week: https://multimac.co.uk/home

They also do 4 seat version and can take babies

I am seeing if I could sort one out for myself but they are seemingly a pain in ass to fit. I think there was company at the docks that fitted them years ago....

Other option is I was told you could get 3 into back so that is why I wanted to check with Tony Kealy. I might try and drop over this week and see what they say....

Everythign on google seems to refer to US....

The multimac is serious money... £1300 plus another £269 for the baby add-on and thats sterling! :eek:

KCross wrote: »
    The multimac is serious money... £1300 plus another £269 for the baby add-on and thats sterling! :eek:

It ain't cheap. The only thing is you can swap it from one car to another. I thought you took out the back seat but you actually just tie it in on top....

My original plan of going to Tony Kealys might be cheaper:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

We've 3 in ours but they're two no side boosters and one with sides. Kids are almost 8, 5 and 3.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the advice/help....

Leaf is now off the table, back to drawing board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Thanks everyone for all the advice/help....

What was the deciding factor?

Bif wrote: »
    What was the deciding factor?

Size was main factor

After looking at Ioniq the Leaf was fighting a losing battle in terms of looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Size was main factor

After looking at Ioniq the Leaf was fighting a losing battle in terms of looks

Ioniq is quiet nice looking. Did you get to drive it?

Bif wrote: »
    Ioniq is quiet nice looking. Did you get to drive it?

Not yet, want to price around first and get some idea's if still in budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I didn't try it myself, but from a children's car seats point of view, I doubt the Ioniq is any bigger in the rear? Did you try?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I didn't try it myself, but from a children's car seats point of view, I doubt the Ioniq is any bigger in the rear? Did you try?

Not yet, will be doing at time of full test

At the moment Leaf is certainly off the table. To be honest, I didn't want a Leaf when I started this process, I liked the price and thought it would do the job, the test drive for 24 hours was great because after first 12 hours or so I would have bought but once I got a good feel for it I knew it wasn't for me

In regards to Ioniq, there is a couple of plus points:
    • Looks, alot better than Leaf
    • Larger battery, the 24kWh was a little bit small
    • Faster charger? I think this is included
    • Boot is bigger, our double pram will fit, the Leaf was a pain
    • Seems larger inside and from spec online is larger
    • Misses likes Hyundai, still gives out I didnt buy i40 a few years ago
    • I really like the look of it:D

Then the negatives
    • Only available in white, not a huge concern
    • More expensive
    • Would need to push order now as I want free insurance or service

So positives out weight negatives. Really need to work out now if anyone has actually bought one of these and if my current "discount" is a discount or not

Also is the insurance or service offer better.....

Once I have that worked out going to take test drive for 24 hours. Dont want to mess another dealer around :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

So can you now tell us what the great deal that you'd lined up was? Maybe someone else will get the benefit of it?

As for battery, Leaf has about 20kWh usable, Ioniq 28kWh usable. Plus more efficient and much better aerodynamics

Still, I'd also like to know what deal you got offered. Was I far off with my €18k cash on the road incl. metallic? If so, the Leaf might be old and not up to the level of the competition anymore but at that it would still be superb value for money. And plenty of people don't really need the range of the Ioniq 95% of the time (me included if I'm honest)

Deal was
    171 Leaf SVE with 24kWh model with 3.3 charger
    List 27,940
    Discount 4,740
    Price to me 23,200
    Trade in on my own car: 11,500
    Cost to change 11,700

When I pushed my cost to change was €10,900 which I felt was a very good deal. I did not ask where additional discount came from.

Exact same car from other dealer was €17,439 cost to change, that was with a 12,000 trade in against my car

I tried another dealer and they came in around 18k as well

So I was looking at saving of circa 7k on deal.....I didn't think it was too shabby

That's meaningless without telling us what car you traded in :p

• Advertisement

That's meaningless without telling us what car you traded in :p

Didn't trade in any car :P walked away from deal

Deal was
    171 Leaf SVE with 24kWh model with 3.3 charger
    List 27,940
    Discount 4,740
    Price to me 23,200
    Trade in on my own car: 11,500
    Cost to change 11,700

When I pushed my cost to change was €10,900 which I felt was a very good deal. I did not ask where additional discount came from.

Exact same car from other dealer was €17,439 cost to change, that was with a 12,000 trade in against my car

I tried another dealer and they came in around 18k as well

So I was looking at saving of circa 7k on deal.....I didn't think it was too shabby

That was some deal right enough. Can't believe they gave you a near €5k discount off the retail price before trade-in!
    Was it a stock car in a tripe colour?
    Maybe name the dealer?

Did you by any chance come to a deal if it were cash? I always do that too, just to compare if it would make more sense for me to sell privately.

Did you by any chance come to a deal if it were cash? I always do that too, just to compare if it would make more sense for me to sell privately.

Never talked about cash deal.....

Deal was based on closing quickly so I didnt have time to sell myself

I am pure lazy and told them I didnt want to sell myself....

So, details of your car? Year, model, mileage, fuel, condition, NCT status?

Soarer wrote: »
    That was some deal right enough. Can't believe they gave you a near €5k discount off the retail price before trade-in!
    Was it a stock car in a tripe colour?
    Maybe name the dealer?

Colour was Silver Mettalic according to website.....nice and that wasnt issue

It was a car they had in stock

Would prefer not to give out dealer name as when I pulled out the seller asked me not to

Fair enough.

Tis a shame though, as someone could get themselves a bargain.

So, details of your car? Year, model, mileage, fuel, condition, NCT status?

Majority of garages are in the 11-11.5k on my current car. Max was the 12k and that was from seller looking for nearly 18k so he had a bit of margin to play with

On my initial checking with Hyundai garages I got mostly 8.5k.....

€11k is a bit low for a 151D BMW 520d, isn't it? :p

€11k is a bit low for a 151D BMW 520d, isn't it? :p

If I had a 151 BMW I wouldnt be changing :p:p

• Advertisement

Going to pull this back up, hope people dont mind

Nearly in a position to put deposit

Not 100% but looks like I will go with Ioniq

Question is, has anyone bought?

Which would be better? 5 year service or the Free insurance? I cant use the 4k scrappage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Going to pull this back up, hope people dont mind

Nearly in a position to put deposit

Not 100% but looks like I will go with Ioniq

Question is, has anyone bought?

Which would be better? 5 year service or the Free insurance? I cant use the 4k scrappage
    Unkel is one of the key contributors here that can set you straight. Have you actually taken it out on a test drive? How did it fare with the baby seats?

Take heed of how he arrived at the sales price that he negotiated with them.

Did you try the kids with their seats in the Ioniq? If not, you should! It's a lot smaller in the back than any of the cars I've had that I had 3 seats in the back.

If all good there, did you try the scrappage, did you really, really try? ;)

5 year service is worth a bit over €400. I'd negotiate that in free of charge. Insurance with long NCB would be about €300-€400 per year fully comp. Scrappage is €4,000 :cool:

And if you were talking to Huyndai dealer(s), any update on the waiting times?

Unkel is one of the key contributors here that can set you straight. Have you actually taken it out on a test drive? How did it fare with the baby seats?

Take heed of how he arrived at the sales price that he negotiated with them.

Waiting for confirmation when taking for full 24 hour spin, I have good idea how to fix car seats issue in my head :P

Really I didnt want to take another car till I was more or less 99% sure I would buy...

I have good idea how to fix car seats issue in my head :P

:eek:

There's no frunk in the Ioniq, you know that don't you? :p

:eek:

There's no frunk in the Ioniq, you know that don't you? :p

Frunk???

* I have drove to Cork and back today so could be too tired to understand that

Did you try the kids with their seats in the Ioniq? If not, you should! It's a lot smaller in the back than any of the cars I've had that I had 3 seats in the back.

If all good there, did you try the scrappage, did you really, really try? ;)

No I didn't try to be honest. I might ring dealer in morning and see what they might need
    5 year service is worth a bit over €400. I'd negotiate that in free of charge. Insurance with long NCB would be about €300-€400 per year fully comp. Scrappage is €4,000 :cool:

Is service cost that low? That is impressive on its own....

Scrappage would be perfect if I didn't have a car to sell :P
    And if you were talking to Huyndai dealer(s), any update on the waiting times?

I was told, if I order today, it would take 5 days for delivery in white. But I won't be taking for 2-3 weeks anyway till charge point is installed

There's a bunch of white cars still around. They aren't easy to sell ;) It's the metallic colour cars that are all made to order, that have the waiting times.
    Frunk???

US English for front trunk (boot in the front of the car). Some cars have it. Most EVs have a motor in the front that is way smaller than an ICE, so there is space left that can be made useful. I've owned several cars with a frunk myself, mostly 2 seat sports cars with a mid engine, leaving space for a trunk and a frunk. Like my current Boxster :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting point, there is indeed a fair bit of space in the frunck in the Leaf, has anyone made use of this space I wonder?

• Advertisement

There's a nice frunk in the i3 that can be used as storage. They only disturbing thing is that in Nyland's winter car review and long test drive last week in the middle of winter in Norway, a good bit of water seemed to get in, making the usefulness of the box very limited / pretty much useless.

slave1 wrote: »
    Interesting point, there is indeed a fair bit of space in the frunck in the Leaf, has anyone made use of this space I wonder?

It's only a frunk if it is actually designed as storage space. I wouldn't store things in between motor / battery / windscreen washer reservoir / brake fluid reservoir etc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

There's a nice frunk in the i3 that can be used as storage. They only disturbing thing is that in Nyland's winter car review and long test drive last week in the middle of winter in Norway, a good bit of water seemed to get in, making the usefulness of the box very limited / pretty much useless.

BMW sells a waterproof liner/bag for the frunk to keep everything clean and dry. I use one, I keep most of my cables in the frunk.

Good idea for the cables / stuff that you need to have with you but rarely need to use. As long as they are waterproof of course. Nyland goes through bags and bags of washer fluid (large ones too!) that he kept in there :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thinking I could secure a jack and spare wheel stuff there somewhere...large cable ties etc.

Advertisement