Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

LLBeatle wrote: »
    Infancy
    Murder
    Sexual Offences (advise the DPP on the charges that could be raised in 4 different scenarios).
    Bail
    Provocation
    Incitement
    Public Order Offences
    Harassment
    Endangering Traffic
    Perjury
    Contempt of Court
    Property Offences (advise the DPP on charges that could be raised in 4 different scenarios)
    Imposing criminal liability for omissions

It was a very busy paper, i stayed away from the essay questions and my hand was ready to fall off at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

EU law: no competition law at all on last sittings paper. do we think it could come up twice? I wouldn't mind that at all to be honest, I strangely enjoy the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 9 123456 jo

EU law: no competition law at all on last sittings paper. do we think it could come up twice? I wouldn't mind that at all to be honest, I strangely enjoy the topic

Hoping for at least one question to come up on it alright. What other topics you doing for EU Law - really need to cut out ones at this stage !

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Can anyone give me a steer on Q1 from the last Constitutional Paper?

In summary: Gemma sells her car, the buyer deposits €25k cash in her bank account. She later find the bank have frozen her account at the request of the Gardai. The Gardai tell Gemma they've frozen it because they're suspicious about the deposit. They have done so using their powers under the Investigation Assistance Act 2016, which allows them to make a request that any bank deny access to an account "where it is believed that this may assist in ongoing investigations". Gemma asks how long this will take, but the Gardai won't tell her. Advise Gemma if there are any constitutional grounds on which she can challenge this.

It's clearly an interference with her property rights. But I can't figure out what else is going on! Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'd say there's a high risk of it but I'm hoping not because I've been avoiding competition like the plague!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

bluntspoon wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a steer on Q1 from the last Constitutional Paper?

In summary: Gemma sells her car, the buyer deposits €25k cash in her bank account. She later find the bank have frozen her account at the request of the Gardai. The Gardai tell Gemma they've frozen it because they're suspicious about the deposit. They have done so using their powers under the Investigation Assistance Act 2016, which allows them to make a request that any bank deny access to an account "where it is believed that this may assist in ongoing investigations". Gemma asks how long this will take, but the Gardai won't tell her. Advise Gemma if there are any constitutional grounds on which she can challenge this.

It's clearly an interference with her property rights. But I can't figure out what else is going on! Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Note it benefits from the presumption of constitutionality.

Is the interference with property rights proportionate?

Arguably a judicial power that shouldn't be left to Gardaí – need to set out the 5 criteria for assessing judicial power from McDonald v Bord na gCon.

Probably arrive at the conclusion that this is a judicial function the Gardaí are exercising and that it’s a disproportionate interference with her property rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Note it benefits from the presumption of constitutionality.

Is the interference with property rights proportionate?

Arguably a judicial power that shouldn't be left to Gardaí – need to set out the 5 criteria for assessing judicial power from McDonald v Bord na gCon.

Probably arrive at the conclusion that this is a judicial function the Gardaí are exercising and that it’s a disproportionate interference with her property rights.

Oh good. Bord na gCon was my first thought too, but I floundered a bit after that. I guess I'm thrown because I don't know any caselaw about Gardai freezing assets - whether that's okay, what sort of procedures they should follow. Maybe you can get by without it in this one?

Thanks Teamhrach, you've put my mind at ease a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Contract Law:

When studying Exemption clauses and Consumer Protection law... in Order to answer Q on exemption clauses and CP, most likely a PQ,
    is it safe to leave out EU consumer Law?

EU consumer protection law seems to just come as an essay when it does appear, would this estimation be accurate? unfair contracts, cancellation rights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Company Law:

In the case of Fyfess v DCC did they find that it was a single economic entity?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Company Law:

In the case of Fyfess v DCC did they find that it was a single economic entity?

Yep, that case reaffirmed SEE still good law in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

annmc882 wrote: »
    Contract Law:

When studying Exemption clauses and Consumer Protection law... in Order to answer Q on exemption clauses and CP, most likely a PQ,
    is it safe to leave out EU consumer Law?

EU consumer protection law seems to just come as an essay when it does appear, would this estimation be accurate? unfair contracts, cancellation rights etc

It came up as an essay on the last paper (IMPACT OF EU HARMONISATION INITIATIVES ON IRISH CONTRACT LAW) so that makes me think it's worth the gamble of ignoring it in depth.
    You gotta play the odds with periphial topics otherwise you'd need a memory like Dustin Hoffman in RainMan

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lawhead767

LLBeatle wrote: »
    Infancy
    Murder
    Sexual Offences (advise the DPP on the charges that could be raised in 4 different scenarios).
    Bail
    Provocation
    Incitement
    Public Order Offences
    Harassment
    Endangering Traffic
    Perjury
    Contempt of Court
    Property Offences (advise the DPP on charges that could be raised in 4 different scenarios)
    Imposing criminal liability for omissions

I said q1 was criminal and dangerous manslaughter? was i wrong? i also said it involved insanity/diminished responsibility?
    feel like i did 4 alright questions my question 1 was so rushed only got a page out of it? i doubt its possible to pass with just 4 questions?? does anyone know what kind of a marker he is ? tough or fair? thanks

123456 jo wrote: »
    Hoping for at least one question to come up on it alright. What other topics you doing for EU Law - really need to cut out ones at this stage !

I've notes done and am feeling good about-
    Competition
    Judicial review
    Preliminary references
    Direct effect/member state liability
    Union citizenship

Notes done and feeling meh about-
    Free movement of goods
    General principles
    Institutions

Hoping between all of that and the case note question to be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 123456 jo

I've notes done and am feeling good about-
    Competition
    Judicial review
    Preliminary references
    Direct effect/member state liability
    Union citizenship

Notes done and feeling meh about-
    Free movement of goods
    General principles
    Institutions

Hoping between all of that and the case note question to be okay!

I’m doing the exact same !!! Fingers crossed !🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey,
    Just wondering does anyone know if you'd be able to pull enough information from the EU Treaties and Legislation to cover a question on the Institutions.

Im just looking through it and it has a lot on them. Also could someone tell me which of the institutions came up last sitting?

Thanks

How was company? Was it anything like the previous paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Redbay650

Lawhead767 wrote: »
    How was company? Was it anything like the previous paper?

Very straightforward I thought!

Essay on Salomon
    Problem on Directors
    Problem on Share Transfer
    Problem on Restriction
    Problem on Shareholder Protection
    Essay on Shareholder Meetings
    Essay on Changes in 2014 Act
    Essay on Corporate Borrowing

Hopefully Constitutional will be as nice a paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

You think question 6 included public order offences? Could it not constitute an assault? Indirectly applying a force or causing impact...

ANSWER PLANS & ROUGH WORK
    - Can you get extra paper in the exam? I find it a struggle and time-consuming going back to the rough work page. I wrote important case names on the question sheet yesterday for criminal and realised afterwards I hadn’t even mentioned some of them in the answer book :(
    - In college I used to put my hand up straight away for paper to do rough work!
    - ANY ADVICE/TIPS for this please?

• Advertisement

You think question 6 included public order offences? Could it not constitute an assault? Indirectly applying a force or causing impact...

i agree but i think they're saying public order offences in relation to the 1st paragraph ie the endangering traffic and offensive behaviour in public?
    but its def assault and harasssment in the rest of the q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Almost afraid that Company was too straightforward. Think that's the first time ever in an FE1 exam I've had the pick of 7-8 .....wasted about 10 minutes just picking.

In any case -- it really shows just how absolutely mad that last paper was in October. Really hope I pass now because I'm presuming it might be hellish again in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 purple24

Almost afraid that Company was too straightforward. Think that's the first time ever in an FE1 exam I've had the pick of 7-8 .....wasted about 10 minutes just picking.

In any case -- it really shows just how absolutely mad that last paper was in October. Really hope I pass now because I'm presuming it might be hellish again in March!

Feeling the same! Failed it in October.. was able to answer all 8 qs this time which seems mad. Did three decent, one dodgy and half a fifth. I was almost too spoilt for choice that I didn’t know where to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Redbay650

Has anyone got constitutional predictions they would like to share. Have 2.5 days to cover the course! Pressure is on.

Any help would be appreciated

Don't say that I'm doing it next sitting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

This is Constitutional Law, Question 4 2012. Aside from referendum case law like Slattery, McKenna, McCrystal etc, what other issues would I be able to bring up here? Is standing relevant since the action is being taken by a group of concerned citizens? Can the Government's abolition of the fundamental rights provisions be challenged under some case law / provision?

Also, in his report the examiner seemed to say that the litigation is very similar to Mahon v Keena - but isn't that case about journalistic sources? I'm not sure how the question is related to that case at all.

Following a terrorist attack in Kilkenny in March 2012, the government announce a plan to
    suspend the fundamental rights provisions of the Constitution and to establish a Military Council41
    with the power to order the imprisonment or execution of any person suspected of terrorist
    sympathies.

Following legal advice, the government indicate that they plan to introduce this scheme by way
    of a constitutional amendment. They announce that the referendum will be held in June 2012
    but do not specify the exact date.

They also repeal the Referendum Acts and abolish the Referendum Commission.
    In April and May, the government append a significant amount of public money on an
    advertising campaign in support of a Military Council. Advertising warns of the “terrorists all
    around us” and call upon citizens to “Protect Ireland. Protect yourself. Support the Military
    Council”.

On May 31st, the government announce that the referendum will be held on June 3rd. They
    announce that they will prohibit all advertising on the referendum proposal after May 31st
    (including their own) “in the interest of equality and fairness”.

A group of concerned citizens wish to prevent the holding of the referendum. They have asked
    you for advice on:

(a) Whether the courts are able or likely to interfere with the holding of a referendum;

And

(b) Whether there are any grounds of Irish constitutional law upon which they might be
    able to challenge the government’s behaviour.

Advise them, making sure to refer in your advice to both issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

I wouldn't worry, taking a look at the reports, Mod deletion. Pls don't discuss examiners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

does anyone know the pass rate for contract?

SM1803 wrote: »
    does anyone know the pass rate for contract?
    someone told me its a high pass rate similiar to eu and property

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Lawhead767 wrote: »
    someone told me its a high pass rate similiar to eu and property

Thank you! heres hoping!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement