Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NewNewBird

yournerd wrote: »
    I am the same :( since it came up last time i am not focusing too much on them!

Think I’ll use my time elsewhere. Might skim over them in the morning and see if fresh eyes help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

What's everyone covering for Contract?
    I'm covering
    Offer /accept /consideration /p estoppal
    Privity / capacity
    Terms and exemption
    Misrep
    Mistake
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Anyone doing the same ? Or more ? Or less ? Not sure whether to do undue?

P.s I was reading other chapters but it not sinking in and I think at this rate do with what you like or is sinking in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

What's everyone covering for Contract?
    I'm covering
    Offer /accept /consideration /p estoppal
    Privity / capacity
    Terms and exemption
    Misrep
    Mistake
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Anyone doing the same ? Or more ? Or less ? Not sure whether to do undue?

P.s I was reading other chapters but it not sinking in and I think at this rate do with what you like or is sinking in ?

Yep, doing the exact same as you but also a brief outline of Consumer Protection (in case a curveball occurs and I can bluff it).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

My predictions for contract ESSAY questions:

- before there was an essay to discuss/explain what is meant by "consideration must not be past" and "estoppel is a shield not sword." I wouldn't be surprised if that came up again because those phrases are always trotted out but people don't really understand what they mean. It's a good way to weed out the spoofers.

- penalty clauses. It's come up a couple of times recently but there's been a good bit of current case law. Maybe the question would be if we would be better sticking with the traditional attitude towards them or adapting the Cavendish test the UK is using.

- something to do with capacity of minors to contract.

- privity of contract and suggestions for reform.

- negotiating in good faith has come up a couple of times. I wouldn't be surprised if now there was a question on unconscionable bargain because that replaces a requirement of good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

- before there was an essay to discuss/explain what is meant by "consideration must not be past" and "estoppel is a shield not sword." I wouldn't be surprised if that came up again because those phrases are always trotted out but people don't really understand what they mean. It's a good way to weed out the spoofers.

- penalty clauses. It's come up a couple of times recently but there's been a good bit of current case law. Maybe the question would be if we would be better sticking with the traditional attitude towards them or adapting the Cavendish test the UK is using.

Thanks I think you could be right ! :) saw that RE penalty here is hoping !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hurler1000

Hi all, sorry to be slightly hijacking the thread but does anybody know when the October 2018 dates are confirmed and available? Just need to get time off work booked well in advance . Are there weeks that they are 'generally' held ? Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NewNewBird

hurler1000 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry to be slightly hijacking the thread but does anybody know when the October 2018 dates are confirmed and available? Just need to get time off work booked well in advance . Are there weeks that they are 'generally' held ? Thanks very much

Generally the first two weeks of October but it depends on the availability of the hotel too. The timetable comes out with the March results so should be May 4th,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

- negotiating in good faith has come up a couple of times. I wouldn't be surprised if now there was a question on unconscionable bargain because that replaces a requirement of good faith.

Is the last point on ubbermai fidei?

Also damages for stress/worry following this https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/supreme-court-confirms-no-recovery-for-non-pecuniary-loss

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

What are the chances the snow this week will delay next weeks exams?

I'd say 90% of the people doing the exams have been wondering the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

BASHBAG wrote: »
    I'd say 90% of the people doing the exams have been wondering the same thing.

snow?

Yournerd: is it ok to highlight and tab act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

cjaybcjayb wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on what to study for tort?

I'd be all over defamation anyway, didn;t come up last sitting and all over the news these days. Also a stand alone on Duty of care as I don't think that came up last sitting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

annmc882 wrote: »
    snow?

Yournerd: is it ok to highlight and tab act?

Yes highlight underline tab!

no writing on the tabs though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Has anyone doing EU done anything on State Aid and the current Apple litigation. I've finally convinced myself to look at competition as a back up and I know that it was tipped by one of the colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Is the last point on ubbermai fidei?

Also damages for stress/worry following this https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/supreme-court-confirms-no-recovery-for-non-pecuniary-loss

Stress/ worry came up last time....
    I think duress is due an appearance, and illegal contracts too.
    Jaysus it's hopelessly lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Guys I passed Constitutional and I didn't have a bloody notion. I hadn't read any of the cases so went nowhere near the cases question. I absolutely spoofed an essay and filled it with my own musings. Came out of the exam feeling like I had wasted my time. But I passed! So hang in there!!

Same - barely passed but the paper i did was a joke.

Has anyone doing EU done anything on State Aid and the current Apple litigation. I've finally convinced myself to look at competition as a back up and I know that it was tipped by one of the colleges.

Half a page of notes on State Aid and half a page on the Apple details. It didnt take me long to do. go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lawhead767

Leraf wrote: »
    Same - barely passed but the paper i did was a joke.

I feel so under prepared for constitutional, really thinking of not sitting it, do you’ve any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

Silly question I know but what is the proportionality test used in Heany v Ireland?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Leraf wrote: »
    Half a page of notes on State Aid and half a page on the Apple details. It didnt take me long to do. go for it.
    Just a word of caution on Apple. It's just a decision of the Commission at present. Ireland are looking to have the decision challenged in the General Court and that won't hear it for a while yet. Whatever the outcome, it's almost certainly going to be appealed to the CJEU. We're talking about a number of years before there's a resolution.

You really shouldn't invest any more than 10 minutes in it. It's also fairly unspectacular from a principles point of view, vanilla state aid. It's only the parties and sums of money involved that are exciting people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Constitutional Law:

Silly question I know but what is the proportionality test used in Heany v Ireland?
    The measure must be:
    1. Rationally connected to the objective and not be arbitrary, unfair or based on irrational considerations;
    2. Impair the right as little as possible, and
    3. Be such that their effects on rights are proportional to the objective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TomRed3

Anyone willing to swap Equity grid, notes and answers for the same in Constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Katelawstu

Anyone know if you hand leg in on the day, for Constitutional, how long it takes to come back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Can anyone tell me the name of the recent SCt decision that says the unborn has no inherent constitutional rights outside of the right to life? Obviously the exam paper was made ages ago but if the 8th amendment or abortion comes up on the paper it might be handy to mention this ruling just to show a bit of a knowledge of something recent.

Katelawstu wrote: »
    Anyone know if you hand leg in on the day, for Constitutional, how long it takes to come back out?
    It seems that you'll have your legislation delivered to your desk 30-45 mins into the exam.

Lawhead767 wrote: »
    I feel so under prepared for constitutional, really thinking of not sitting it, do you’ve any recommendations?

Yes, I recommend you go! you have paid to sit it and therefore have nothing to lose. There is no "i feel so prepared and ready" feeling with any of these exams. I honestly felt the cramming at the last minute was what pushed me over the line. Go, try and with a bit of luck, you will pass. At the end of the day, you give your opinion on what the question is about and throw in some cases to back up your opinion. Pepper it with general stuff wherever you can like interpretation etc.

I rewrote half a question because I realised I had answered on the completely wrong topic. I spent more time scribbling out my answers than completing them. I had a complete meltdown and panic attack. I came home from that exam, crawled into bed and cried myself to sleep. I passed.

Go and try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Can anyone tell me the name of the recent SCt decision that says the unborn has no inherent constitutional rights outside of the right to life? Obviously the exam paper was made ages ago but if the 8th amendment or abortion comes up on the paper it might be handy to mention this ruling just to show a bit of a knowledge of something recent.

Minister for justice v IRM

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Can someone please tell me that q4 was on commercial contracts and exclusion clauses in them, and damages? As well as q8a on consumer unfair terms and exemption clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Can someone please tell me that q4 was on commercial contracts and exclusion clauses in them, and damages? As well as q8a on consumer unfair terms and exemption clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Aw man -- Contract is a cruel mistress. Essays were OK but the second element of the problems I pretty much spoofed.

Oh well . . . EU tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kay2012

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up another subject that you haven't registered for or no ? It's my first sitting so I need to pass 3- messed up criminal Monday - and I was wondering is there any chance I could contact the law society and they'd allow me to sit equity next week? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Or strictly no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement