Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blackcat1234

Does anyone have any Contract success stories to share from previous sittings? Convinced I failed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Does anyone have any Contract success stories to share from previous sittings? Convinced I failed :(

Contract was the first FE1 I ever did and I blanked everything. Had maybe ten cases on the whole paper. There was an essay question on past consideration, and all I wrote for that was "past consideration is no consideration". Used the legislation to bull**** my way through another question.

50 on the dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

What came up in Contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

1. Offer/ ITT
    Past Consideration
    2. I forget
    3. SoG / Exclusuon Clause
    4. Misrep

Essays
    5. Common Mistake
    6. Discharge
    7. Privity
    8. Unfair Terms or Penalty Clauses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Legal23

Well yet again I blanked on Contract. I sat 3 in October and passed one, my first sitting. Blanked on Contract completely last time and yet again this time around. I have only registered to sit 3 so I have no hope in passing this time either (only answered 2.5 questions). I am about ready to throw the towel in ... Can anybody who has passed advise on the best way to study for these. I don't know if I am approaching the Fe1s all wrong. I am working full time and studying in the evenings and weekends, taking 2weeks off before the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

Anyone any tips when it comes to Free movement of goods to tell if it is Art 30 or Art 110?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckyman

Legal23 wrote: »
    Well yet again I blanked on Contract. I sat 3 in October and passed one, my first sitting. Blanked on Contract completely last time and yet again this time around. I have only registered to sit 3 so I have no hope in passing this time either (only answered 2.5 questions). I am about ready to throw the towel in ... Can anybody who has passed advise on the best way to study for these. I don't know if I am approaching the Fe1s all wrong. I am working full time and studying in the evenings and weekends, taking 2weeks off before the exams.
    I am the same as you. It is soul destroying. I can't keep sacrificing my spare time like this. Ready to give up.

Are you sitting property/ equity? I ask as maybe the LS will let you register for a forth ..... cram for it then over the next week...
    I've passed 4 (3 from 4, and, 1 from 2) . I failed equity twice. I think everyone has their Achilles heel.
    I work too, so have been doing 2-3 hours for 2 exams over the last month or so. I dunno the magic formula. I crammed for Contract. I 'think I done enough but I may regret that assumption.
    Ask the LS to register for 4th??
    Not having a go but only sitting 3 exams is a rookie mistake.

Are you sitting property/ equity? I ask as maybe the LS will let you register for a forth ..... cram for it then over the next week...
    I've passed 4 (3 from 4, and, 1 from 2) . I failed equity twice. I think everyone has their Achilles heel.
    I work too, so have been doing 2-3 hours for 2 exams over the last month or so. I dunno the magic formula. I crammed for Contract. I 'think I done enough but I may regret that assumption.
    Ask the LS to register for 4th??
    Not having a go but only sitting 3 exams is a rookie mistake.

Yeah I was advised to sit 4 and I just though I was better focusing on 3 especially contract after the last sitting, lesson learned!! I'm signed up for property and equity Next Week. Maybe it might be worth looking at a fourth, or take the lesson learned and go again next time round. Just feeling so defeated today and I'm so close to throwing the towel in!

luckyman wrote: »
    I am the same as you. It is soul destroying. I can't keep sacrificing my spare time like this. Ready to give up.

I feel your pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Regarding Constitutional, how likely is it that ECHR/ EU question will come up again? I know it's not a common topic, but since the examiner criticised the lack of understanding between ECHR and EU, do you reckon he is likely to examine it again to test us?

Would love to be able to cross it off my to-do list if it's unlikely to come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Yeah I was advised to sit 4 and I just though I was better focusing on 3 especially contract after the last sitting, lesson learned!! I'm signed up for property and equity Next Week. Maybe it might be worth looking at a fourth, or take the lesson learned and go again next time round. Just feeling so defeated today and I'm so close to throwing the towel in!

dont loose faith, its hard but is doable, you feel down after today. go to bed and rest for the day. no books.
    the key i found was grids in first week know what you study. cut notes down to 3 -4 pages max per topic. read examiner reports there is always a pattern.
    i never ever did past papers and answers ever and i passed them.
    buy legislation early.
    memorize early give time equally to each subject and live time for revision a week before the exams.
    always sit more so you are safe. i sat five last time and i too work full time and i am a single parent of two.
    stick to a plan make one and no matter what stick to it, no days off no drinking no partying sleep is very very important.
    hope this helps as much i want it to.

Lumi77 wrote: »
    dont loose faith, its hard but is doable, you feel down after today. go to bed and rest for the day. no books.
    the key i found was grids in first week know what you study. cut notes down to 3 -4 pages max per topic. read examiner reports there is always a pattern.
    i never ever did past papers and answers ever and i passed them.
    buy legislation early.
    memorize early give time equally to each subject and live time for revision a week before the exams.
    always sit more so you are safe. i sat five last time and i too work full time and i am a single parent of two.
    stick to a plan make one and no matter what stick to it, no days off no drinking no partying sleep is very very important.
    hope this helps as much i want it to.

Thanks so much, this gives me hope. I really appreciate your advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

welcome and good luck. to all of you sitting these awful exams head up, keep going and think positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

No point in anyone throwing in the towel at this point. These exams have a way of surprising you when the results come out. even if you think you have done terribly, stick at it. keep going through all of the exams you have paid for and see what happens on the 4th of May. You never can tell so keep going.

If you quit now and it turns out you passed that one exam you were sure you failed you will kick yourself.

Do ye reckon I'll be okay with just articles 30 and 110 for free movement of goods? Or should I just look over the basics of 34 just in case?

And to the person that asked about distinguishing between 30 and 110, 30 applies to customs charges and charges having equivalent effect, i.e. Charges for crossing a frontier. 110 applies to internal tax and prohibits similar goods being treated differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curlyheadedfck

Contract really got me down... Hopefully she'll feel sorry for me when she sees the tear drop stains on the paper.

Does anybody know if they deliberately have a FE1 sitting in October when Blackhall starts in September? Is it just another ploy to get people to give up? Or is it just the Law Society being their usual incompetent selves?

EU tomorrow, tips?

The GOOD news for all Blackhall candidates is it never seems to end. Bumped into an ex-classmate in Red Cow on the way in to do PPC1 Law Society exams at 2pm (he started Blackhall in Sept) ..... said it's more of the same s**** but dressed up differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Contract really got me down... Hopefully she'll feel sorry for me when she sees the tear drop stains on the paper.

Does anybody know if they deliberately have a FE1 sitting in October when Blackhall starts in September? Is it just another ploy to get people to give up? Or is it just the Law Society being their usual incompetent selves?

EU tomorrow, tips?

We’re the questions not what you expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curlyheadedfck

Thought the problem questions were confusing enough. I was exhausted as well I think so brain wasn't working properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalr2092

Any tips for Property and Equity? Really desparate to cram now this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Do ye reckon I'll be okay with just articles 30 and 110 for free movement of goods? Or should I just look over the basics of 34 just in case?

And to the person that asked about distinguishing between 30 and 110, 30 applies to customs charges and charges having equivalent effect, i.e. Charges for crossing a frontier. 110 applies to internal tax and prohibits similar goods being treated differently.

Definitely look at 34 I think.

Difference between 30 and 110 is the test in Denkavit 1988, i thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The GOOD news for all Blackhall candidates is it never seems to end. Bumped into an ex-classmate in Red Cow on the way in to do PPC1 Law Society exams at 2pm (he started Blackhall in Sept) ..... said it's more of the same s**** but dressed up differently

Christ in heaven the PPCs are here too?! God.

By the way -- anyone who stayed here last night . . . . did you also feel that guilty twinge of excitement when the fire alarm went off in the early hours??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Also EU guys -- safe to ditch the preliminary ref procedure and infringement proceedings? (haven't come up since 2014 seemingly though maybe I missed on running through the papers!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legaleagle_123

Thoughts on topics for constitutional? Need to seriously cram. Any advice for what to definitely know and what I can probably escape learning will be appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Kay2012 wrote:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up another subject that you haven't registered for or no ? It's my first sitting so I need to pass 3- messed up criminal Monday - and I was wondering is there any chance I could contact the law society and they'd allow me to sit equity next week? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Or strictly no

Yes just send an email it will be no problem I have done this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I left really early in Contract I answer a page or two on five questions and don't think il sit next week exams there is no way I passed. I was sick and had to pull out of criminal and was just too weak to do a proper cram for Contract ..disaster so disheartened. There is just no way I could spend the next week killing myself . The first of magic three was a disaster so I'd be wasting my energy money and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Thoughts on topics for constitutional? Need to seriously cram. Any advice for what to definitely know and what I can probably escape learning will be appreciated!!

yes can anyone ever be so kind, i can help out with EU, Tort and Equity!

I left really early in Contract I answer a page or two on five questions and don't think il sit next week exams there is no way I passed. I was sick and had to pull out of criminal and was just too weak to do a proper cram for Contract ..disaster so disheartened. There is just no way I could spend the next week killing myself . The first of magic three was a disaster so I'd be wasting my energy money and time.

That's a bit vague. If you answered a page or two on all 5 questions then plough ahead next week.... you could be ok to pass!!!
    Albeit, if collectively you did a page or two, you're right. Don't waste your time as you get no recognition for 2 passes.
    As stated, if 1-2 pages on each question you very well could hit the 50

• Advertisement

Also EU guys -- safe to ditch the preliminary ref procedure and infringement proceedings? (haven't come up since 2014 seemingly though maybe I missed on running through the papers!).

I feckin hope preliminary references is coming up it's one of my better topics. Night before notes are tipping it..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement