Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 123456 jo

I feckin hope preliminary references is coming up it's one of my better topics. Night before notes are tipping it..

What other items are tipped on that out of interest for EU Law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

123456 jo wrote: »
    What other items are tipped on that out of interest for EU Law?

Competition (think he's tipping it twice cause it says "competition law questions"..)
    JR
    Goods
    Direct effect
    Services/establishment/workers
    Institutions

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I wouldn't be putting too much trust in the Night Before Notes. The EU ones are almost identical to last year's - typos and all! I know I've seen the same for others in the past too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ak4321

Can anyone clarify for me please: Is there a constitutional right to medical care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

I posted tips week ago for constitutional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

Lumi77 wrote: »
    dont loose faith, its hard but is doable, you feel down after today. go to bed and rest for the day. no books.
    the key i found was grids in first week know what you study. cut notes down to 3 -4 pages max per topic. read examiner reports there is always a pattern.
    i never ever did past papers and answers ever and i passed them.
    buy legislation early.
    memorize early give time equally to each subject and live time for revision a week before the exams.
    always sit more so you are safe. i sat five last time and i too work full time and i am a single parent of two.
    stick to a plan make one and no matter what stick to it, no days off no drinking no partying sleep is very very important.
    hope this helps as much i want it to.

I think people can be too quick to put out the idea that when studying for the FE1s that needs to be the be all and end all. Everyone has their own way of studying and when the commitment required for FE1 study is such a long period of time, it is important to keep a balance. A night out once every few weeks is arguably going to do more good than harm, while staying involved in sport or other hobbies are a great way to give the body and mind a break when you have yourself driven to insanity with study. It's something I have seen pop up several times on this thread, and while I understand everyone is giving advice in order to help people still going through the system, it's not a one size fits all scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I think people can be too quick to put out the idea that when studying for the FE1s that needs to be the be all and end all. Everyone has their own way of studying and when the commitment required for FE1 study is such a long period of time, it is important to keep a balance. A night out once every few weeks is arguably going to do more good than harm, while staying involved in sport or other hobbies are a great way to give the body and mind a break when you have yourself driven to insanity with study. It's something I have seen pop up several times on this thread, and while I understand everyone is giving advice in order to help people still going through the system, it's not a one size fits all scenario.

I agree, i bought manuals and all the material and I only do sample answers, I only focus on issues and subissues that come up frequently, no point wasting time on fancy notes on issues that never are examined!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cojamocork

Must say I am struggling to to get to grips with Constitutional. The content in itself is fine, but I feel like the questions on papers expect backflips and all sorts of manoeuvres with next to no detail in the exam reports. Feels a little insurmountable. Anyone else feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

cojamocork wrote: »
    Must say I am struggling to to get to grips with Constitutional. The content in itself is fine, but I feel like the questions on papers expect backflips and all sorts of manoeuvres - with it often being quite hard to identify what's being asked in problem Q's. Doesn't help that exam reports have next to no detail. Feels a little insurmountable. Anyone else feel the same?

I feel exactly the same. I'm seriously struggling with it. Also, some questions are so specific, asking you to look at the Supreme Court's decision in one particular case. If you know the topic it relates to, but don't know that particular case, you're very limited as to where your answer can go.

Must say I am struggling to to get to grips with Constitutional. The content in itself is fine, but I feel like the questions on papers expect backflips and all sorts of manoeuvres - with it often being quite hard to identify what's being asked in problem Q's. Doesn't help that exam reports have next to no detail. Feels a little insurmountable. Anyone else feel the same?

me too! I am here nearly in tears, I just wanna give up, i dont even know how to study for it like manual sample answers or notes? its so different to every other exam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I'm so worried about this exam because half the time i don't even know what issues I'm supposed to talk about in the problem questions. They can be so vague, Mod deletion Pls do not discuss examiners, tutors etc here,

Also dreading one of those semi-case note questions where you basically need to have read the specific case to answer the question. I'm already planning on avoiding the actual case-note question so I really don't need another one coming up.

Are people leaving out many topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nina94

Kay2012 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up another subject that you haven't registered for or no ? It's my first sitting so I need to pass 3- messed up criminal Monday - and I was wondering is there any chance I could contact the law society and they'd allow me to sit equity next week? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Or strictly no

yep u can do this i picked up equity today ! u just have to mail them the cheque for it and then its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

As just stated.... leaving stuff out for Constitutional..... I'd focus on the bankers first and work backwards judging on recent past papers.

Separation of Powers (justiciability focus)
    Freedom Expression v Privacy
    Proportionality (this is never solo in PQs)
    Fair Procedures
    Property Rights
    Challenge Grounds (Locus/JT etc)

Get a handle on them.
    That said, I've spent the last 2 hours watching the Chelsea game, so I'm hoping a question on that comes up Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lapetite1

Hi all,

First of all best of luck to everyone the other exams coming up in the interim before Property and Equity next week.

If anyone is sitting these exams also I would really appreciate thoughts on topics that are essential for Property or the topics it is advisable to study as I understand its one of the more predictable exams.

For equity then all topics that people are covering also.

Any guidance at all is welcome! Heads up everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Constitutional: lads please don't panic!

I passed constitutional in my first sitting and ended up getting one of my best marks so far.

Before the exam I felt the same as a lot of you seem to be feeling right now. I was distraught after that exam. I genuinely thought I had failed it for sure. I had a good broad understanding of the subject but struggled to identify the problem question topics under pressure. I focused on the essay questions insofar as possible and just tried to convey that understanding as best I could.

Keep the heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

In relation to natural and constitutional justice e.g. notice, notice and reply, effective understanding, reasons and bias, do you only use this when the question relates to an action that is outside of the courts?

Constitutional Law:

In relation to natural and constitutional justice e.g. notice, notice and reply, effective understanding, reasons and bias, do you only use this when the question relates to an action that is outside of the courts?

Now you've me spooked as I've been through the material, so I thought anyways and this looks alien to me. Is this in Interpretation? If it is, it's a periphial area and I'd focus on the Harmonious Approach. Natural law is archaic really. Again, I may be totally off the ball here

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

Now you've me spooked as I've been through the material, so I thought anyways and this looks alien to me. Is this in Interpretation? If it is, it's a periphial area and I'd focus on the Harmonious Approach. Natural law is archaic really. Again, I may be totally off the ball here

Yeah it’s more about fair procedures in civil matters, kind of similar to article 38.1 but obviously more in relation to disciplinary matters etc and not criminal trials

Yeah it’s more about fair procedures in civil matters, kind of similar to article 38.1 but obviously more in relation to disciplinary matters etc and not criminal trials

So do criminal trials not have to give reasons? Surely there still has to be notice, notice and reply, effective understanding and no bias with them?

Ahh of course. Whatever way I read it I saw Natural Law, not Natural Justice. I think I'm sleep deprived

• Advertisement

Sorry folks probably a really stupid question, but when people say 'Separation of Powers' as a topic, what exactly does this include? Does this include all areas re: separation of powers, i.e. delegation doctrine, parliamentary privilege, tribunals, foreign affairs, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

So do criminal trials not have to give reasons? Surely there still has to be notice, notice and reply, effective understanding and no bias with them?

I wouldn't think too much into it, if dealing with criminal matters just stick to undue delay, evidence, right to solicitor, publicity etc.. if its not a criminal trial and it deals with like a board, a dispute between an admin body etc then look at fair procedures as a natural justice right under 40.3. I wouldn't recommend bringing fair procedure into a question on 38.1, the rules governing procedure in criminal trials is dealt with in criminal course. If that makes sense?

Constitutional Law:

My notes say that the decision in Quinn was unconstitutional to allow Kosher shops stay open on Sundays.

However, I have a memory that they did not actually focus on religion but focused on trading activities. therefore, there was no equality involved.

Did the court find that it was unconstitutional or constitutional?

Sorry folks probably a really stupid question, but when people say 'Separation of Powers' as a topic, what exactly does this include? Does this include all areas re: separation of powers, i.e. delegation doctrine, parliamentary privilege, tribunals, foreign affairs, etc?

yes my Q too!
    What topics are part of SOP????

Constitutional Law:

My notes say that the decision in Quinn was unconstitutional to allow Kosher shops stay open on Sundays.

However, I have a memory that they did not actually focus on religion but focused on trading activities. therefore, there was no equality involved.

Did the court find that it was unconstitutional or constitutional?

I think it was that an exemption for late-night Saturday trading was necessary to permit free practice of religion, but the order was invalid because it facilitated late opening EVERY night of the week, not just Saturdays. It went over and above what was necessary to ensure free practice of Jewish religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

What the feck was the first part of the direct effect question about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Well that went well NOT

Well they do have to give some reason but the remit varies on the court jurisdiction e.g. District Courts vs Supreme.
    See the Judge Ballagh [2002] case. I forget the Plaintiff's name

Well the Bord na gCon case has the test for Judicial powers exerted by an entity. For SoP make sure you know John Grace, McGowan, Beredev etc. They'll hinge about an essay. The Non Delegation of a minister and the Cityview test are integral to PQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

b.anna wrote: »
    Well that went well NOT

It was a strange one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement