Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Leraf wrote: »
    It was a strange one.

Pure ****. What happened to institutions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Leraf wrote: »
    It was a strange one.

Was it you that told me to do art.34? You're a legend :D

Yeah no institutions was weird, the competition law question was weird. I didn't find it the worst though

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Yeah no institutions was weird, the competition law question was weird. I didn't find it the worst though

Yes I think that was me. Glad I am good for something

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Sorry folks probably a really stupid question, but when people say 'Separation of Powers' as a topic, what exactly does this include? Does this include all areas re: separation of powers, i.e. delegation doctrine, parliamentary privilege, tribunals, foreign affairs, etc?

Well the Bord na gCon case has the test for Judicial powers exerted by an entity. For SoP make sure you know John Grace, McGowan, Beredev etc. They'll hinge about an essay. The Non Delegation of a minister and the Cityview test are integral to PQ.
    EDIT: Don't forget that Proportionality will need discussing in a N.D.D PQ too

I have a feeling ill be doing this exam again in October . Had 3 ok questions. Mixed up one case note and 5th questions was a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 purple24

b.anna wrote: »
    I have a feeling ill be doing this exam again in October . Had 3 ok questions. Mixed up one case note and 5th questions was a mess.

I got 53 in October with 4 qs - 1 good, 1 okay and 2 dodgy. don't lose hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

b.anna wrote: »

Probably be doing it with u !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Well they do have to give some reason but the remit varies on the court jurisdiction e.g. District Courts vs Supreme.
    See the Judge Ballagh [2002] case. I forget the Plaintiff's name
    O’Mahony v. Ballagh [2002] 2 IR 410

Whilst recognising that the District Court can often be hectic, it was found that the trial judge should at least indicate which arguments he's accepting or rejecting so that the accused has something to form the basis of an appeal.

Robbo wrote: »
    O’Mahony v. Ballagh [2002] 2 IR 410

Whilst recognising that the District Court can often be hectic, it was found that the trial judge should at least indicate which arguments he's accepting or rejecting so that the accused has something to form the basis of an appeal.

Smith v Ni Chonduin (2007) is also on point

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castle123

EU LAW

Anyone else left clueless by the Case Notes Q?

I studied ten of most recent and commonly occurring ones and I couldn’t answer a single one on the paper. Shafted. If it’s a repeat for me I’m not even going to bother studying for that q. Waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I have to say I really enjoyed listening to the people chatting and singing in the kitchen while trying to focus on my third consecutive morning of sitting FE1s. Felt the exam went OK but really it's not good enough. A quiet exam hall is the least one can ask given all the time, energy and cash we are throwing at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I have to say I really enjoyed listening to the people chatting and singing in the kitchen while trying to focus on my third consecutive morning of sitting FE1s. Felt the exam went OK but really it's not good enough. A quiet exam hall is the least one can ask given all the time, energy and cash we are throwing at these.

Total disgrace I think!!

castle123 wrote: »
    EU LAW

I studied ten of most recent and commonly occurring ones and I couldn’t answer a single one on the paper. Shafted. If it’s a repeat for me I’m not even going to bother studying for that q. Waste of time

Yeah that selection of cases was bonkers. I only prepared about 5 and lucky I wasn't banking on that question! :o

EU LAW

They weren't nice at all. Was hoping for something handy considering institutions didn't even make an appearance .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

EU LAW

I had written out all 46 cases that had come up since March '11 and only 5 of the ones of the paper had come up before. Only one that I'd actually studied! None of the reliables!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Please can anyone tell me what happened in Beades v Ireland (2016)?

Does anyone know has article 42a been used in a case yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EJ15

Best of luck to those sitting constitutional tomorrow.
    Can anyone let me know when approx the exam results come out?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Please can anyone tell me what happened in Beades v Ireland (2016)?
    The applicant sought to prevent Kelly J being made President of the High Court for non-compliance with the Courts and Court Officers Act 1995.

Proceedings were struck out as vexatious. The Cabinet has the sole power to appoint judges and this was a non-justiciable controversy.

Not sure what use it is in a exam though.

EJ15 wrote: »
    Best of luck to those sitting constitutional tomorrow.
    Can anyone let me know when approx the exam results come out?

They're basically always six fridays after the second week of fe1s - so the Friday of the May bank holiday - 4th May probably

• Advertisement

Fe1hun18 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a run through of the EU questions that appeared today?

General principles of eu law and how they're used to protect individuals by the court of justice and to ensure that the eu institutions and the member states act in accordance with law

Problem on art. 34

Problem on direct effect

Essay on judicial review, has the plaumann test continued to make it "literally impossible" for non privileged applicants to institute proceedings against an act of the eu

Problem on citizenship/workers

Problem on arts 30 and 110

Case note Q

Last question was a part A and a part B you answered one. A was on whether the law is now sufficiently developed in relation to sex equality in employment such that the institutions can now focus on other forms of discrimination

B was about competition (art.102) the extent to which a dominant undertaking can take steps to protect its own commercial position on the market

A strange paper alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Can someone tell me under what chapter I can find fair procedures? Not 38.1. Did notes out last week for them and I'm gone blank and can't find the fecking notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Can someone tell me under what chapter I can find fair procedures? Not 38.1. Did notes out last week for them and I'm gone blank and can't find the fecking notes.

It's under personal right and could be constitutional justice or natural justice

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

RyanMcG123 wrote: »
    It's under personal right and could be constitutional justice or natural justice

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

Anybody able to give me a brief synopsis or the ruling in Omar v Governor of Cloverhill Prison?

I am quite confused about the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ak4321

Can anyone clarify why Bolger wasn’t allowed to rely on Damache while O’Brien, Kavanagh and Cunningham were? All were at appeal stage. Was it that the latter 3 couldn’t have been raised at trial as Damache was only handed down while they were at appeal stage? This is the only logical conclusion I can come to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

ak4321 wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify why Bolger wasn’t allowed to rely on Damache while O’Brien, Kavanagh and Cunningham were? All were at appeal stage. Was it that the latter 3 couldn’t have been raised at trial as Damache was only handed down while they were at appeal stage? This is the only logical conclusion I can come to!

I'm not studying this topic but could it be because Bolger didn't raise the issue at his original trial? Possible issue of retrospectivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

Teamhrach wrote: »
    I'm not studying this topic but could it be because Bolger didn't raise the issue at his original trial? Possible issue of retrospectivity?

Yeah Bolger didn’t raise it at trail originally as far as I know! Didn’t apply the Cronin expection.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ak4321

Yeah Bolger didn’t raise it at trail originally as far as I know! Didn’t apply the Cronin expection.

So maybe that’s why court allowed O’Brien / Cunningham / Kavanagh to raise on appeal? It would have been impossible for them to raise on trial as Damache wasn’t handed down at that stage?

• Advertisement

Ok im gonna leave out of due course of law - is that the worst idea ever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement