Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lawhead767

Does anyone have previous topics which came up for tort last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

EGG2018 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, would anyone have an up to date grid for Equity?

Thanks

Up to March 2017 yup. PM if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EGG2018

david_etc wrote: »
    Up to March 2017 yup. PM if you want it.

Hi, I've sent you a PM there, thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

Lawhead767 wrote: »
    I have the one up until March 2017, thanks though!

I can pm you the paper for October ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckyman

Predictions for Property guys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Proctop_

I’m doing
    Succession
    Adverse possession
    Co ownership
    Treasure trove
    Land lord & tenant
    Easements

Do you think that will be ok?? Should I throw licences in as well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Proctop_ wrote: »
    I’m doing
    Succession
    Adverse possession
    Co ownership
    Treasure trove
    Land lord & tenant
    Easements

Do you think that will be ok?? Should I throw licences in as well??

Should be ok , there is one yr easements didn't come up and TT is not a cert but you'd still be ok even if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

EQUITY: anyone taking a punt?
    I'd throw my hat in the ring and say:
    Quia Timet
    Trusteeship
    Promissory Estoppel
    Undue Influence
    Three Certainties......

EQUITY: anyone taking a punt?
    I'd throw my hat in the ring and say:
    Quia Timet
    Trusteeship
    Promissory Estoppel
    Undue Influence
    Three Certainties......

Why quia timet? I hope not I was focusing on mareva & anton pillar!!

Anton Pillar essay was in the last exam paper. Mareva the one before. Imagine QT is due a visit...... it's speculation of course.
    The Campus Oil principles could surface instead. Or indeed depriving circumstances surrounding Perpetuals..... hmmmm......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Does anyone know if I can get the relevant acts for Property (Succession act & LCLRA) anywhere else apart from the publications office?
    I left mine abroad and now I can't get them on time... the publications office only post them out and it takes three days... no post on Monday either... Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Does anyone know if I can get the relevant acts for Property (Succession act & LCLRA) anywhere else apart from the publications office?
    I left mine abroad and now I can't get them on time... the publications office only post them out and it takes three days... no post on Monday either... Any help would be appreciated.

Check Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Thanks Ann but what do you mean adverts.ie?

I presume I can't just print them off myelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Anyone else struggling to suppress their inherent Irish instinct to go out on the lash ? Getting video calls from the guys down at the pub while making notes on Mareva injunctions --- someday this will all be worth it right?

RIGHT?

Anyone else struggling to suppress their inherent Irish instinct to go out on the lash ? Getting video calls from the guys down at the pub while making notes on Mareva injunctions --- someday this will all be worth it right?

RIGHT?

Ugh!!! Finding it very hard!!

Thats what they say anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EGG2018

In relation to Estoppel, does Promissory ever come up or is it always proprietary?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

In relation to Estoppel, does Promissory ever come up or is it always proprietary?

Yep in the 9 times it has come up since 2011, it's all been Proprietary!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Promissory tends to be examined in Contract, and Proprietary in Equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

RIGHT?

Yes, it will. Stick it out. You may not make a fortune, you won't be bored

Promissory is not examined on the Equity paper. It has come up Oct 2016 and March 2017. Could be due again this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 UC

Thanks Ann but what do you mean adverts.ie?

I presume I can't just print them off myelf?

I have a spare set I can give you on the day if you need badly

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Hi all,

I graduated UCD with the BCL/maitrise degree almost 4 years ago now. I'm working in corporate banking, but I am now seeking to sit the FE1s. Thence, I have two questions:

1. Back when I was in college, the "nutshells" were sufficient to pass exams. Now, I'm fully aware FE1s are not "college" exams level and require much more preparation. Therefore, do you recommend to buy additional books?

2. I am planning on sitting the exams in two sets (Company, Constitutional, Contract & Criminal in the autumn and the remaining ones in the spring). Is this feasable?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LegallyBlonde2

Has anybody relied the night before notes for equity, are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aoife2012

Hi, could anyone tell me if Detinue and Conversion are new to the Tort syllabus? I have passed Tort on a previous sitting but my manual is from 2015 and I can't find them anywhere in it (noticed them in night before notes). Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalr2092

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

I graduated UCD with the BCL/maitrise degree almost 4 years ago now. I'm working in corporate banking, but I am now seeking to sit the FE1s. Thence, I have two questions:

1. Back when I was in college, the "nutshells" were sufficient to pass exams. Now, I'm fully aware FE1s are not "college" exams level and require much more preparation. Therefore, do you recommend to buy additional books?

2. I am planning on sitting the exams in two sets (Company, Constitutional, Contract & Criminal in the autumn and the remaining ones in the spring). Is this feasible?

For question 1, well yes, you will kinda need the books. Not only will the Nutshells not have enough info, they are not up to date and the FE1s tend to have questions on topical issues or developments in the law. So either books or invest in a prep course/pick up a set of manuals from someone.

For question 2, that is entirely up to you and how much effort you are willing to put in, nobody can answer that for you. Some people will sit all 8 in one go and pass them all, others will sit them 4 and 4; 3 and 5; 5 and 3; 4, 2 and 2....it really depends on you personally and your abilities/time management.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

Has anybody relied the night before notes for equity, are they reliable?

This is my first time doing equity and I’ve been using the night before notes a bit. I definitely don’t think you could rely on them entirely but they’re a great supplemental aid for new cases and general understanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

Could anybody tell me with what regularity perpetual injunctions arises? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Could anybody tell me with what regularity perpetual injunctions arises? Thanks.

I dont have a lot of information in my notes about, no cases for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

Leraf wrote: »
    I dont have a lot of information in my notes about, no cases for them.

Thanks, yeah I've quite a bit in my notes but unsure of the depth I need to learn it in. Much of it can relate to Interlocutory as well so probably no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

2. I am planning on sitting the exams in two sets (Company, Constitutional, Contract & Criminal in the autumn and the remaining ones in the spring). Is this feasable?

I know this has already been replied to but just my two cents:

1) Do not use Nutshells. They over-simplify every topic and provide essentially no nuance. If you already have them/can get them for free etc, they will at least highlight the leading cases - but I would advise against using them for any substantive study.

Most people seem to pass using only prep manuals and which ones you like will depend on yourself Mod deletion - Pls do not discuss the various manuals and colleges here). I try and supplement with the leading texts on the topic but that's just me - a lot of people will tell you you're wasting your time doing that.

2) 4 is definitely possible but it's all about how much time you have/can devote to it. I'm sure as you know, you have to sit at LEAST three the first time and you must pass all three. People usually advise doing four the first time as a safety net.

This is not a major point but I would advise thinking about which subjects work best together. EU and Constitutional are known as the biggest topics and thus people tend to split them up. In my opinion it makes sense to study Constitutional law and criminal law together, handy to be able throw in a point about constitutional rights of a suspect or due course of law.

Property/Equity/Contract also have a lot of overlaps (estoppel, equitable remedies more generally, contracts for land). Just something to think about.

This sounds basic but definitely worth factoring in the exam timetable too. In October I had four in a row which was pretty awful.

All that said, the main thing on your first sitting is to be as comfortable as possible so if you love certain topics, just do them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement