Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Gomzu wrote: »
    This is my first time doing equity and I’ve been using the night before notes a bit. I definitely don’t think you could rely on them entirely but they’re a great supplemental aid for new cases and general understanding!

I'd definitely be taking note of the topics that are emphasised on the night before notes. He has nailed it in relation to topics in the last 3 papers. Of course you'll need more topics to be safe but pay heed to them I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

I graduated UCD with the BCL/maitrise degree almost 4 years ago now. I'm working in corporate banking, but I am now seeking to sit the FE1s. Thence, I have two questions:

1. Back when I was in college, the "nutshells" were sufficient to pass exams. Now, I'm fully aware FE1s are not "college" exams level and require much more preparation. Therefore, do you recommend to buy additional books?

2. I am planning on sitting the exams in two sets (Company, Constitutional, Contract & Criminal in the autumn and the remaining ones in the spring). Is this feasable?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I went through the BCL, and LLM, and by the time the FE1s came round it was 4-5 years since I studied the likes of Constitutional or Tort. You'll find you're going have to start fresh ..... go through the courses to refresh yourself before you even start to revise. To jump into revision will handicap yourself imho.
    Forget the Nutshells. Get a second hand manual. Dig out your old notes.
    Get the Night Before Notes and go through EACH topic yourself over the summer.
    I thought as a law grad I would ace the exams. Prepare for a lesson in humility.
    Sit 4. Or if brave, 5. The 'average sits' to pass them is 3.6 or something, so to do it in 2 you'll need to be on top of your game. That said, it's only learning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Aoife2012 wrote: »
    Hi, could anyone tell me if Detinue and Conversion are new to the Tort syllabus? I have passed Tort on a previous sitting but my manual is from 2015 and I can't find them anywhere in it (noticed them in night before notes). Thanks in advance.

They're not officially on the syllabus but have arisen as element of problem questions re trespass to land / nuisance. When I sat Tort last year prep course lecturer briefly covered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EGG2018

Has the 2009 Charities act come into force yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

EGG2018 wrote: »
    Has the 2009 Charities act come into force yet?

Yep, in Oct 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Are you only talking in the context of equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EGG2018

Are you only talking in the context of equity?

Yeah, is it different in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Hi I’m in same boat as lawhead only started tort today - has anyone decided what to cover I am at a loss. Doing passing off defamation negligence duty of care occupiers liability anything else I should cover in your opinion. Only looking for 50%!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

I agree that I will need to firstly refresh my memory before jumping into revisions. I have been exposed to law throughout my years as a professional, but obviously not from an academic perspective.

I have ordered past papers & examiner's reports to have an idea as to what to expect. I am planning on slowly easing myself into it in April & start the revisions from June onwards.

The amount of work does not scare me. I'm however apprehensive as to how difficult it will be for me to get into the swing of things, given I work in a completely different field.

I will definitely buy proper manuals as obviously jurisprudence is not frozen in time. As far as the preparatory courses go, I will skip those. In my opinion, they're only revenue driven. If I were to sit the test in a foreign jurisdiction such as the UK or US, I would certainly rely on those preparatory schools, but as a former law student in Ireland, these don't sound too appealing to me.

We will see how it goes. This will require a massive commitment, but I feel ready. I never really had any interest in sitting these tests (mainly out of fear of failure), but I have been very drawn to sitting them lately. If it works out good, if not, it's not the end of the world.

The reason why I sought to sit Criminal, Constitutional, Contract & Company at the same time is because those subjects were my strong subjects in college. Hence, it would be easier for me to study these 4. Then again, I should probably switch and choose a subject I don't feel as comfortable with, for the sake of balancing and not putting all of my eggs into one basket.

Equity & EU law were my weakest points in college.

Anyway, we will see how I will approach these after refreshing my memory and looking at past papers.

Thank you all for your help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

PROPERTY PREDICTIONS?
    - 2 Succession law questions
    I'm also studying:
    - Finding
    - Registration
    - Family Home
    - Adverse Possession
    - Mortgages

Planning to study: co-ownership (but can't get my head around it!) and/or influence of equity. Would people recommend these?
    Does anyone have predictions? Am I missing an easy-ish topic? Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

Teamhrach wrote: »
    PROPERTY PREDICTIONS?
    - 2 Succession law questions
    I'm also studying:
    - Finding
    - Registration
    - Family Home
    - Adverse Possession
    - Mortgages

Planning to study: co-ownership (but can't get my head around it!) and/or influence of equity. Would people recommend these?
    Does anyone have predictions? Am I missing an easy-ish topic? Thank you!

Landlord - Tenant perhaps? Lease-License distinction is easy enough to write about.

What's your problem with co-ownership? Most of it is quite straightforward in terms of who gets what.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Easements!!! Almost every sitting!

Hi I’m in same boat as lawhead only started tort today - has anyone decided what to cover I am at a loss. Doing passing off defamation negligence duty of care occupiers liability anything else I should cover in your opinion. Only looking for 50%!!!

I don't think Nuisance or medical/professional negligence have come up in the past two sittings. Might be worth a look.

BASHBAG wrote: »
    I don't think Nuisance or medical/professional negligence have come up in the past two sittings. Might be worth a look.

Yeah and Nuisance came up four times in a row prior to this. Along with Defamation, it's been the joint-second most popular topic since 2011 according to my grid.

I don't know what was on October 2017, but feel like Nervous Shock is due a run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Nervous shock came up last sitting and my grid says it has never come up twice in a row

david_etc wrote: »
    Yeah and it came up four times in a row prior to this. Along with Defamation, it's been the joint-second most popular topic since 2011 according to my grid.

I don't know what was on October 2017, but feel like Nervous Shock is due a run too.

Full problem question on nervous shock last sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 joedubs

Full problem question on nervous shock last sitting.

You seem to know what came up last sitting - do you have a list of the topics that came up? thanks

joedubs wrote: »
    You seem to know what came up last sitting - do you have a list of the topics that came up? thanks

Sure!
    Q1. Trespass to the person- Problem
    Q2. Pure Economic Loss- Essay
    Q3. Vicarious Liability- Problem
    Q4. Damages- Essay
    Q5. Nervous Shock- Problem
    Q6. Rylands v Fletcher- Problem
    Q.7 Causation and Remoteness- Problem
    Q.8 Concurrent Wrongdoers- Essay

• Registered Users Posts: 13 joedubs

Sure!
    Q1. Trespass to the person- Problem
    Q2. Pure Economic Loss- Essay
    Q3. Vicarious Liability- Problem
    Q4. Damages- Essay
    Q5. Nervous Shock- Problem
    Q6. Rylands v Fletcher- Problem
    Q.7 Causation and Remoteness- Problem
    Q.8 Concurrent Wrongdoers- Essay

Cheers buddy!

Sad to see NS and Rylands, as I like both of those topics, but overall I probably would have failed that paper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Lawhead767

Economic loss according to my knowledge came up last year and isn’t a frequent flyer..... do ye think it’s safe to leave out?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Thanks for all responses guys ! This thread has been such a help for tackling fe1s

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Dont forget it is a new year. Two papers were drafted up for this year and two for last year. It is very possible there will be a repeat of topics. I dont know if it is the best idea to be basing the March paper on last Octobers sitting.

Leraf wrote: »
    Dont forget it is a new year. Two papers were drafted up for this year and two for last year. It is very possible there will be a repeat of topics. I dont know if it is the best idea to be basing the March paper on last Octobers sitting.

Two papers per sitting? Is this in case of it being "leaked" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

Guys - quick question - don't know if I'm going crazy or not but it seems as if Hedley Byrne / Negligent Misstatement never comes up as a question? Is it still examinable or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

starbar91 wrote: »
    Guys - quick question - don't know if I'm going crazy or not but it seems as if Hedley Byrne / Negligent Misstatement never comes up as a question? Is it still examinable or what??

Last time it came up as a problem Q was October 2013. It's due a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Last time it came up as a problem Q was October 2013. It's due a run.

Does anyone have this problem/sample answer Q Oct 2013 on negligent misstatement? I only have past papers as far as Mar.'15 from the law society :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

For trespass to the person in Tort, am I right in saying that battery can be either done negligently or intentionally, but assault requires intention? That's what my notes seem to be saying anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

For trespass to the person in Tort, am I right in saying that battery can be either done negligently or intentionally, but assault requires intention? That's what my notes seem to be saying anyway.

Not doing tort yet but pretty think that's correct :)
    Battery is the act of touching, however slight (even just tapping someone on the shoulder is battery, nudging someone in a queue by mistake).
    Assault tends to be something of a graver nature but requires intention.

• Advertisement

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Not doing tort yet but pretty think that's correct :)
    Battery is the act of touching, however slight (even just tapping someone on the shoulder is battery, nudging someone in a queue by mistake).
    Assault tends to be something of a graver nature but requires intention.

Just to clarify, assault is the unlawful apprehension of immediate contact (i.e. there is no actual contact occurring).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement