Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sam675

Who is the new examiner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Sam675 wrote: »
    Who is the new examiner ?

Ray Murphy external and Neil Maddox internal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

I know this is a bit of a stupid question BUT.... what chapter is trusteeship under - I'm working from an ICD manual? Is it to do with the appointment of trustees, retirement, removal, duties? I really don't like trusts!

And I can't find donatio mortis causa either :/

I'm concentrating on these:
    - QT
    - Mareva
    - Estoppel
    - Charitable trusts
    Trying to pick other topics

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

Teamhrach wrote: »
    I know this is a bit of a stupid question BUT.... what chapter is trusteeship under - I'm working from an ICD manual? Is it to do with the appointment of trustees, retirement, removal, duties? I really don't like trusts!

- QT
    - Mareva
    - Estoppel
    - Charitable trusts

Donatio is express and yeah that’s all trusteeship

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalr2092

- QT
    - Mareva
    - Estoppel
    - Charitable trusts

Trusteeship should be a chapter in itself - duties, powers and liability of trustees.

And maybe consider doing Constructive Trusts too and Resulting Trusts and Undue Influence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Thank you! I'll probably do those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any advice for those sitting in Oct from the exam today? scary it's a new examiner !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Now I'm paranoid there will be a new Equity examiner if they're not announcing. Which would mean all bets are off for the morning as anything could rear it's head. (Exasperated emoji)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

jus_me wrote: »
    Any advice for those sitting in Oct from the exam today? scary it's a new examiner !!!

It wasn’t the WORST exam in the world so sorry to scare you! It just wasn’t expected. When studying past papers you’ll notice a repeat in questions.. those questions will more than likely not arise on future papers anymore so just don’t rely on them and sample answers as much when studying and you’ll be fine :)

- QT
    - Mareva
    - Estoppel
    - Charitable trusts

You'd want to look at Strong v Bird too if doing DMC (constituted trusts)
    I'd look more to Cy Pres as Charitable Trusts was a PQ last time.
    Recession have a gander at too.

• Advertisement

The PQ last time on Charitable Trusts was Cy Pres, which is why its being assumed that pure Charitable may arise this time, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Anyone has a list of predictions for tomorrow and will be willing to share it ?
    Also, what topics came up in October 2017?

The PQ last time on Charitable Trusts was Cy Pres, which is why its being assumed that pure Charitable may arise this time, is it not?

Well, Cy Pres was a feature of the PQ but along with Charitable aspects as a whole.
    Cy Pres can be an essay.
    Of course, charities might skip this paper. So, don't waste too much time on new material at this stage imho.

angela1711 wrote: »
    Anyone has a list of predictions for tomorrow and will be willing to share it ?
    Also, what topics came up in October 2017?

1. Secret Trusts and Advancement PQ
    2. Anton Piller essay
    3. Constructive Trust PQ
    4. Tracing essay
    5. Charities PQ
    6. Specific Perform essay
    7. Rectification/ Satisfaction/ Unincorp Notes
    8. Q.Timet PQ

To coin the phrase "on the balance of probabilities" I'd leave out 1/2/4/6/7

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

In her exam report for October she was very critical of how the Cy-Pres aspect was handled in that question so I wouldn't be surprised to see an essay on Cy-Pres this time around.

2. Anton Piller essay
    3. Constructive Trust PQ
    4. Tracing essay
    5. Charities PQ
    8. Q.Timet PQ

Are these topics that came up last year or predictions for tomorrow ? If these are the predictions then I am screwed lol

2. Anton Piller essay
    3. Constructive Trust PQ
    4. Tracing essay
    5. Charities PQ
    8. Q.Timet PQ

Are these topics that came up last year or predictions for tomorrow ? If these are the predictions then I am screwed lol

That's October's paper!!
    I failed it (47%).
    Predictions: I'd say Trusteeship, Rescission, Unconstituted Trusts, Cy Pres for a start

That's October's paper!!
    I failed it (47%).
    Predictions: I'd say Trusteeship, Rescission, Unconstituted Trusts, Cy Pres for a start

That's much better. Thanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

That's October's paper!!
    I failed it (47%).

I failed it too, took a punt on not doing injunctions and of course two questions came up on it...

My wish list would be Mareva essay, Dishonest Assistance essay, Trusteeship PQ w/ Hasting Bass, some sort of question about Strong v Bird or DMC

david_etc wrote: »
    That's October's paper!!
    I failed it (47%).

I failed it too, took a punt on not doing injunctions and of course two questions came up on it...

My wish list would be Mareva essay, Dishonest Assistance essay, Trusteeship PQ w/ Hasting Bass, some sort of question about Strong v Bird or DMC

Yep. I'm along those lines.
    QT and Mareva
    Trusteeship
    Cy Pres
    Recission
    Imperfected gifts
    Constructive Trusts and Dishonesty

As core areas.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 nina94

Hey guys. Hope exams have gone well so far. I’m doing equity tomorrow and I’m really struggling with the study. What are the predictions for this exam?

Do we need to know property rights of cohabitants in the context of resulting trust ? Is it ever asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

Do we need to know property rights of cohabitants in the context of resulting trust ? Is it ever asked?

My grid says it has never come up. And unincorporated societies came up in October so I think possibly Quistclose Trusts or Exhausting Beneficial Interest could be an option to write about in those choose 2 out of 3 questions.

david_etc wrote: »
    My grid says it has never come up. And unincorporated societies came up in October so I think possibly Quistclose Trusts or Exhausting Beneficial Interest could be an option to write about in those choose 2 out of 3 questions.

Ok thanks a lot. I am not doing injunctions as I didn't have enough time to cover them. Should I be okay with:

-specific performance
    -rescission: undue influence
    - estoppel
    -rectification
    -express trust: rule in Strong v Bird, Donatio Mortis Causa, Completion of Trusts
    -Resulting trust/presumption of advancement
    -trustees
    -tracing

Or should I throw in quistclose trust and beneficial interest too ? Or am I better of to do charitable trust? It is a big topic so I would rather skip it but don't know if it is a safe thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Quia Timet Injunction( prohibitory interloc) or Mareva Injunction( or both)

Problem Question on Trustees
    Essay question on doctrine of Cy pres

Rescission

Rectification and SP- Problem question
    Rescission on grounds of Undue Influence

Constructive Trusts- knowing receipt/dishonest assistance- essay
    Resulting Trusts- presumption of advancement

• Registered Users Posts: 17 UC

Were other people severely stuck for time in property?
    I felt like the succession problem Q in particular raised so many issues that it was hard to fit everything in. (s117 and the million relevant cases, s111, s56, proprietary estoppel...)

Family law problem q also took up a lot of time as it encompassed family law protection act and s72.1.j?

Q8 took up at least 45 mins by itself and the RTA 2004 question took up a solid 40.

Was left with much less time than I wanted to answer the adverse possession Q as well as I wanted to because I knew I'd need 45 mins + for Q8

• Registered Users Posts: 11 byrne7

What came up in equity?

byrne7 wrote: »
    What came up in equity?

Q1 Undue Influence and 3rd parties (PQ)
    Q2 Estoppel - Unconscionability (Essay)
    Q3 Donatio Mortis Causa (PQ)
    Q4 Note on: Satisfaction; uni-mistake Rectification and Strong v Bird
    Q5 Charitable Trusts (PQ)
    Q6 Mareva - requisite intention (Essay)
    Q7 Quistclose Trusts (PQ)
    Q8 Trusteeship - Duty to Invest and Duty to Properly Exercise Discretion (Note)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Wasn't a bad paper at all. Though I think I made a mess of the Mareva Injunction essay 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Q1 Undue Influence and 3rd parties (PQ)
    Q2 Estoppel - Unconscionability (Essay)
    Q3 Donatio Mortis Causa
    Q4 Note on: Satisfaction; uni-mistake Rectification and Strong v Bird
    Q5 Charitable Trusts (PQ)
    Q6 Mareva - requisite intention (Essay)
    Q7 Quistclose Trusts (PQ)
    Q8 Trusteeship - Duty to Invest and Duty to Properly Exercise Discretion (Essay)

Nice paper ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement