Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

tiddy_boo wrote: »
    If anyone can provide any advice on my situation I would really appreciate it.

Last March was my third attempt at securing the magic 3 and I actually thought I did it this time but unfortunately no luck. The worst part is that its the first time I didn't pass any of them and my mark for Equity was particularly bad! I really don't know where to go from here, I'm thinking about giving up on it altogether because 3 sittings and still being at zero is an awful feeling and I really don't know where I'm going wrong.

I usually sit Contract, Criminal, Company and Equity, with Contract usually being my best and Equity being my worst. I have gotten some grinds for any areas I'm unsure about but I haven't done a prep course or anything because the thoughts of spending more time and money only to fail is just killer! I'm working full-time and I'm not really in a position to take very much time off. If anyone has any advice or has had a similar experience trying to get their first 3 with a happy ending I'd love to hear it because I'm really down in the dumps at the moment.

Are you leaving out too many topics off the courses?
    Are you answering exam questions in advance? Do you study the grids, read examiners reports?
    Are you always answering five questions?

It may be an exam an technique issue.

If you can afford it, I would advise you to do the prep courses and do the homework they set and take note of the feedback.

I know they're expensive but it's an investment.

Maybe it's not for you, but if you really want it, don't give up. You will get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Lindyloo 1 wrote: »
    tiddy_boo wrote: »
    If anyone can provide any advice on my situation I would really appreciate it.

Last March was my third attempt at securing the magic 3 and I actually thought I did it this time but unfortunately no luck. The worst part is that its the first time I didn't pass any of them and my mark for Equity was particularly bad! I really don't know where to go from here, I'm thinking about giving up on it altogether because 3 sittings and still being at zero is an awful feeling and I really don't know where I'm going wrong.

I usually sit Contract, Criminal, Company and Equity, with Contract usually being my best and Equity being my worst. I have gotten some grinds for any areas I'm unsure about but I haven't done a prep course or anything because the thoughts of spending more time and money only to fail is just killer! I'm working full-time and I'm not really in a position to take very much time off. If anyone has any advice or has had a similar experience trying to get their first 3 with a happy ending I'd love to hear it because I'm really down in the dumps at the moment.

Are you answering exam questions in advance? Do you study the grids, read examiners reports?

If you can afford it, I would advise you to do the prep courses and do the homework they set and take note of the feedback.

Maybe it's not for you, but if you really want it, don't give up. You will get there!

Echo that.
    Pick 8 core topics and a few periphial.
    Write out the previous Qs per topic.
    Consult the examiner report.
    Do a roadmap for each Q of each topic breaking down the Q.
    Learn.

Can I ask why is equity so hard ? I’m starting the prep course in a few weeks 🙈

It isn't particularly hard. I've heard that students often think they understand topics so it's confusing if they fail but in reality they are misunderstanding the concepts or don't convey their understanding sufficiently/correctly. All the best with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Sorry you have been through the mill. Do you have a law degree already? If you do then it’s probably just a matter of exam technique. Nerves and anxiety also play a huge factor in these exams. I know somebody who only got the magic 3 after 5 attempts so don’t loose faith.

Yeah I do I have a B.A and LL.B. My first time was destroyed by nerves! That's good to know, one of my friends is in the same position so at least I'm not alone but it's just so disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Lindyloo 1 wrote: »

You're probably right about the prep course because after doing practice questions it's not like anyone corrects them so I feel like that part of it would be very helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

Hey law peeps, sitting my last 3 (Equity, Company and EU) in October. Anyone have some more recent exam grids on these? I'd be very much obliged as most of my material is dating back to 2013 or 2014.

Also, now that I've passed enough that it's no longer a fluke, I've got a bunch of neatly typed notes and sample answers for Consti, Tort, Contract, Criminal and Property in Microsoft Onenote if anyone wants them. Thinking of putting up a wordpress blog or something to share my notes, might help make life a bit less stressful for people? If anyone has suggestions for ways to post let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭L124

L124 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but on the application form it asks about prep courses. What is the purpose of this? Are you going to be marked harder if you say you have done/haven't done one?

Just wondering can anyone give advice on this please? I was kindly sent an application form and i just dont know what to do... Dont want to fill it out in a way that could negatively effect me.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Just wondering can anyone give advice on this please? I was kindly sent an application form and i just dont know what to do... Dont want to fill it out in a way that could negatively effect me.... :confused:

Not sure why they ask that question (maybe to keep up to date on which schools are offering prep courses?) but it definitely doesn't impact on how your exam is marked. There would be no justification for it.

If you're really worried about it and want to put your mind at ease maybe call the FE-1 section in the Law Society and just ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

I did the Prep Course but didnt fill it in on the application form. I could see no reason they needed to know, so I left it blank.

Not sure why they ask that question (maybe to keep up to date on which schools are offering prep courses?) but it definitely doesn't impact on how your exam is marked. There would be no justification for it.

If you're really worried about it and want to put your mind at ease maybe call the FE-1 section in the Law Society and just ask them?
    Leraf wrote: »
    I did the Prep Course but didnt fill it in on the application form. I could see no reason they needed to know, so I left it blank.

Thanks guys!

I am probably being paranoid thinking it could be used to expect more from you if you did it, or view you as cocky if you didn't.
    I took your advice Supermaxx1988 and rang the FE1 section. Only got through to voicemails and due to the paranoia I chickened out and didn't want to leave my name and number... Just in case it comes back to haunt me!

Might just copy you Leraf and ignore the question altogether!

Thanks again for replying. It's nice get to other opinions on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

Thanks guys!

I am probably being paranoid thinking it could be used to expect more from you if you did it, or view you as cocky if you didn't.
    I took your advice Supermaxx1988 and rang the FE1 section. Only got through to voicemails and due to the paranoia I chickened out and didn't want to leave my name and number... Just in case it comes back to haunt me!

Might just copy you Leraf and ignore the question altogether!

Thanks again for replying. It's nice get to other opinions on it!

I was previously told (not by LS) it is asked so the prep courses can be informed of when a candidate of theirs has achieved the highest mark in the exams. It definitely is no reflection on how your exam paper is marked - that would be insane!

Probably a stupid question but on the application form it asks about prep courses. What is the purpose of this? Are you going to be marked harder if you say you have done/haven't done one?

I thought perhaps it was to monitor stats in relation to students doing those courses against results or more likely to monitor prep courses claiming their students were achieving first, second, third placings in overall results of each subjects.
    Wouldn't go against you for putting down that you are/aren't doing them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Solbar

Hey guys,

Does anyone have the March 2018 exam paper and exam grids for constitutional and criminal that they could forward? Thanks a mil 👌ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

I would be grateful if anybody could forward me through the recent march sitting papers in Constitutional, EU, Property and Equity.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the the whole boards thread and have just passed my first 3 Fe-1's. I'm looking for exam grids for Equity, Constitutional and Torts and would be very grateful if someone could forward them on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Hi Guys,

Not sure if it isn't against the forum rules but does anyone know if these notes are legit ?

https://www.adverts.ie/school-college-books/first-class-fe1-notes-and-sample-answers-typed-and-pdf/2020443

Mod

For now exam grids only may be exchanged thru' this forum.

Pls don't trade any other material thru' this forum

angela1711 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Not sure if it isn't against the forum rules but does anyone know if these notes are legit ?

https://www.adverts.ie/school-college-books/first-class-fe1-notes-and-sample-answers-typed-and-pdf/2020443

If their own notes then it's legit.
    Selling other notes will be a copyright issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Hi,

Finally passed first 3exams after three attempts. My marks were surprisingly good I got 69, 66 and 70. I was just wondering how good these results actually are? Is 70 or above the equivalent to an A+ or am I getting ahead of myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Finally passed first 3exams after three attempts. My marks were surprisingly good I got 69, 66 and 70. I was just wondering how good these results actually are? Is 70 or above the equivalent to an A+ or am I getting ahead of myself?

The good news is that those results are impressive, the bad news (or rather 'meh' news) is that none of the law firms that I have encountered really care about the FE1 mark once it's a Pass. Getting a top mark and the associated award will definitely look good on the CV but, aside from that, my own experience is that the law firms view the FE1s as simply a process which has to be overcome and will place much more emphasis on your degree modules.

That said -- they remain excellent marks nonetheless and you should just keep doing what you're doing study-wise and aim high!

The good news is that those results are impressive, the bad news (or rather 'meh' news) is that none of the law firms that I have encountered really care about the FE1 mark once it's a Pass. Getting a top mark and the associated award will definitely look good on the CV but, aside from that, my own experience is that the law firms view the FE1s as simply a process which has to be overcome and will place much more emphasis on your degree modules.

That said -- they remain excellent marks nonetheless and you should just keep doing what you're doing study-wise and aim high!

Thanks! Ya I was more so just curious as to what is actually a good mark in the exams. I’ve been told over 70 is in the top 10 per cent but I was just curious as to whether this was true or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 olliej

Lostudent wrote: »
    Hey law peeps, sitting my last 3 (Equity, Company and EU) in October. Anyone have some more recent exam grids on these? I'd be very much obliged as most of my material is dating back to 2013 or 2014.

Also, now that I've passed enough that it's no longer a fluke, I've got a bunch of neatly typed notes and sample answers for Consti, Tort, Contract, Criminal and Property in Microsoft Onenote if anyone wants them. Thinking of putting up a wordpress blog or something to share my notes, might help make life a bit less stressful for people? If anyone has suggestions for ways to post let me know.

Hi, can I get a copy of your notes and sample answers if possible, please? Have sent you a PM also! :)

Hi,

Yeah echo the last post.
    Your exam results (BCL) are what the firms will be interested in only.
    The FE1s are a means to an end.
    That said, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Hi,

They're very good results, well done.

Just wondering what subjects they're in?

What way did you prepare, did you do a preparation course?

I have failed Equity twice now and think I need to take a different approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Congrats to everyone who passed and to us still trying to finish well we're getting there slowly but surely.

I have a favor to ask, if anyone who has sat the most recent criminal paper, and passed, would they have notes for sexual offences which contain info on the new act that they would be willing to pass on to me? My criminal notes are old and this was not included in them. I stupidly attempted the sexual offences question in the exam and omitted this new information thus failing my exam (44%). Disaster.

In return for these notes, i can swap notes on any topics in the following subjects i passed, namely, Property, company, EU, Contract and Equity. No constitutional notes, i just used nutshells and blackhall essentials solely for this subject and passed with flying colours.

Mail me if you can help. Thanks so much. A

Hi Marie,

I got 66% in Equity. I changed my study model completely for the last 3 exams. I used to try and read all of the books and supplementary reading but I think I was overloading myself.
    I didn't attend any prep courses however I did have the Griffith College manuals. I stuck solely to Griffith College manuals supplemented by City College Night Before Notes and then past exams and examiner reports for reference.
    Honestly, I picked about 8 chapters, mostly relating to trusts, from the Griffith Manuals and learned them as best I could. That might not be mystic advice but it is honestly just the process I stuck to. For the final week before exams I focused on past exams, reading them from scratch and being confident that I could solidly answer 5 questions from each paper. There is a lot of repetition.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Hi Marie,

I got 66% in Equity. I changed my study model completely for the last 3 exams. I used to try and read all of the books and supplementary reading but I think I was overloading myself.
    I didn't attend any prep courses however I did have the Griffith College manuals. I stuck solely to Griffith College manuals supplemented by City College Night Before Notes and then past exams and examiner reports for reference.
    Honestly, I picked about 8 chapters, mostly relating to trusts, from the Griffith Manuals and learned them as best I could. That might not be mystic advice but it is honestly just the process I stuck to. For the final week before exams I focused on past exams, reading them from scratch and being confident that I could solidly answer 5 questions from each paper. There is a lot of repetition.

Hope that helps!

Thank you and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

ally1234 wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone who passed and to us still trying to finish well we're getting there slowly but surely.

I have a favor to ask, if anyone who has sat the most recent criminal paper, and passed, would they have notes for sexual offences which contain info on the new act that they would be willing to pass on to me? My criminal notes are old and this was not included in them. I stupidly attempted the sexual offences question in the exam and omitted this new information thus failing my exam (44%). Disaster.

In return for these notes, i can swap notes on any topics in the following subjects i passed, namely, Property, company, EU, Contract and Equity. No constitutional notes, i just used nutshells and blackhall essentials solely for this subject and passed with flying colours.

Mail me if you can help. Thanks so much. A
    ally1234 - let me know if you are still looking for criminal notes on the new Sexual Offences Act! Send me on your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Congrats to all and best wishes to all for the future
    Apart from exam grids pls do not swap or sell any other material thru this forum
    Also pls do not discuss the merits or otherwise of the various colleges nor of the examiners
    These are all sensitive souls:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

Would anybody have up to date grids for criminal Constitutional equity and property that the could please forward to me?

• Advertisement

Just wondering can anyone tell me whether LS send confirmation that your application was received and accepted? Sent my application and not sure should I be expecting to hear anything back. Thank you!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement