Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

L124 wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone tell me whether LS send confirmation that your application was received and accepted? Sent my application and not sure should I be expecting to hear anything back. Thank you!!

If you mean for the exams then they dont usually acknowledge until a couple of weeks before, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

If you setup an account with the law society online you will have access to your own dashboard which will show whether the payment was processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have 2018 March papers? I can swap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Has the study started for most people yet ? I am still in denial about getting back into it :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing 5 FE1's in 1 sitting versus sitting 4? Not sure if it's a good idea or not to sit the extra one

Thanks

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing 5 FE1's in 1 sitting versus sitting 4? Not sure if it's a good idea or not to sit the extra one

Thanks

I don’t know what others think, I think it depends on a few factors ;
    1- how much time you to dedicate to studying, are you studying full time / working full time etc

2- time mgt of subjects. Trying to ensure that one subject doesn’t get way more attention than it deserves.

3- which 5 subjects you pick . Equity and property combined would be the same in quantity as all of Tort / constitutional.

4- it gives a good chance of passing the 5 with hard work and if you failed one , you’d only have to revise for next sitting.

However, I feel if it’s not carefully managed , one could spread themselves to thin and it could backfire.

In short, if you aren’t working full time for summer and have plenty time to study , I say go for it. Many wouldn’t agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I agree with the above, if you aren't working and can sit down for 3 months and study with minimal other commitments then 5 is doable but it won't be easy.

Another thing to look at is how the 5 exams are spaced in the upcoming sitting. If you have three or four over the same period of days that can be very tough whereas if you have a nice break of a few days between you'd be amazed what you can get done in that time.

randomrb wrote: »
    I agree with the above, if you aren't working and can sit down for 3 months and study with minimal other commitments then 5 is doable but it won't be easy.

Another thing to look at is how the 5 exams are spaced in the upcoming sitting. If you have three or four over the same period of days that can be very tough whereas if you have a nice break of a few days between you'd be amazed what you can get done in that time.

Agreed. I forgot that point. Timetable does impact on your decision. It you’re well prepared and not cramming 2 exams back to back shouldn’t put you off either.

Breacnua wrote: »
    Has the study started for most people yet ? I am still in denial about getting back into it :-O

I intend to start after the June Bank Holiday :( I am not looking forward to it. Seems no matter how many exams you have already done and passed each new one is a complete uphill battle and you feel like you have never gone through it before and will never get through it this time. For me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castle123

Anyone receive confirmation from law society yet that their re-check application was received?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

castle123 wrote: »
    Anyone receive confirmation from law society yet that their re-check application was received?

Hey yes I did I got a letter last week.

Any idea what date are results out? Work are hating me right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

castle123 wrote: »

Nothing yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

Hey, does anyone have an up to date tort grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

yournerd wrote: »
    Any idea what date are results out?

I think the 15th of June is the provisional date.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Can anyone recommend which of the 8 subjects are the 'easiest' or at least the shortest... trying to figure out where to start. Any advice would be amazing

jus_me wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend which of the 8 subjects are the 'easiest' or at least the shortest... trying to figure out where to start. Any advice would be amazing

I felt that Property had the fewest topics to study. I thought id never get Tort, Constitutional or EU under my belt as they seemed so massive to me. The first time I read an EU manual I was left scratching my head completely confused.

Criminal is ok, I thought. For the marks to stack up you have a lot of Sections etc to learn though. The sentences tend to follow a pattern, if I remember correctly.

Its really dependent on the person though. Different people take things on differently so easier for some might be hardest for others.

Its always a bit easier if your interested in the particular subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

It's a mixture of subjectivity and objectivity.
    I would suggest Criminal, Property and 2 more. Do 4.
    Equity seems to trip ppl up.
    EU is volumius.

If you've no law degree I would suggest contract and pick a random one of the 5. Equity does overlap a bit. Albeit, they're all a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Well, after my March 2015 exams disaster I am back to try to get the magic three. I couldn't find a recent post to the fe1 thread and panicked. Oh no I'm alone! Then I found it.😊

Last exams I prepared for 3. It was the first time we could do 3 and I thought yay! Well, I missed one of the exams due to personal issues so definitely won't be doing 3 again.

Here's hoping I pass this time. I'm doing 4. Haven't quite decided on which 4. Criminal and Property but what other two? Any suggestions?

Many Thanks.
    K.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Hi ya,
    I am looking for the last exam questions I have lots of notes to swap.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Hi there,

Would anyone know if there are any topics you should 100% prepare for equity- thinking all trust and injunctions and then choosing between some remedies and maxims- Any tips would be appreciated.

Joanne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Anyone else not get their re-check confirmation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castle123

b.anna wrote: »
    Anyone else not get their re-check confirmation ?

I didn’t either but I emailed them and they said they had received it

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Joanneom wrote: »
    Hi there,

Would anyone know if there are any topics you should 100% prepare for equity- thinking all trust and injunctions and then choosing between some remedies and maxims- Any tips would be appreciated.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

All trusts and all injunctions will comfortably be enough.
    I think I answered 5 questions alone on trusts in the last exam.

Maxims are good as one liners to reference in answering problem questions but I wouldn’t waste time studying them in detail if you have all injunctions and trusts already learned off.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Choose 2 smaller ones that will allow you time to concentrate on one of the bigger ones. I did constitutional, criminal and property together and would recommend. Or if you had good prep/understanding from your undergrad on particular subjects choose those. Factor in the timetable too but main thing, don't overthink the exams and take a shot at them anyway!

PS for EU and Contract, does anyone know whether you can highlight/underline/tabulate the exam materials? Cheers!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Choose 2 smaller ones that will allow you time to concentrate on one of the bigger ones. I did constitutional, criminal and property together and would recommend. Or if you had good prep/understanding from your undergrad on particular subjects choose those. Factor in the timetable too but main thing, don't overthink the exams and take a shot at them anyway!

PS for EU and Contract, does anyone know whether you can highlight/underline/tabulate the exam materials? Cheers!
    Highlighting, tabbing and underlining are all acceptable. Anything more is not so no textual additions.

Be familiar with the versions of the materials which are acceptable and with the formalities for submitting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

Hi guys,

I know it has probably been posted multiple times before but would anyone have an up to date EU exam grid to swap. Have some from the other subjects to swap myself.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Looking for a company and constitutional grid if anyone has one !

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

I have now failed equity twice after taking a revision course.

I understand we cannot discuss this on the forum but I wonder if anyone could PM me for a recommendation for grinds. I know there is a list of people who provide tuition on the Law Society website however I would like a recommendation if possible.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Hi Joanne,

All trusts and all injunctions will comfortably be enough.
    I think I answered 5 questions alone on trusts in the last exam.

Maxims are good as one liners to reference in answering problem questions but I wouldn’t waste time studying them in detail if you have all injunctions and trusts already learned off.

Best of luck!

Hi,

This comment has really intrigued me. I have yet to sit an fe1 exam so I really don’t know how much work they entail. I just finished final year of my Law degree, I’ve recently studied Equity & Trusts, however, I’ve decided not to attempt this one in October. Reading this has made me re- think my decision... At the moment I have a very good knowledge of injunctions and I would need to re-learn trusts. Has anyone any advice regarding the Equity exam as it seems to be one that trips people up? Am I foolish not to attempt it seeing as I’ve just covered it and know Injunctions extremely well at present. Btw I am doing Criminal, Contract & Property as of now.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Hi everyone!

Just wondering are people working full time while studying for the exams in October? This will be my first time attempting the exams and I’m working 9-5 Mon-Fri throughout the Summer. Obviously not working would be ideal but I need more legal experience for my CV. Would 6 weeks solely studying + 8 weeks studying on weekends and some weekdays be enough to attempt 4 exams? (property,criminal,equity,contract). I may be getting ahead of myself here and don’t want to burn myself out either. However, I do find exams ok (huge generalisation yes!) but exams are my thing I like to think... I’ve bought the manuals, past exam papers, sample answers and some basic notes covering all topics. Any help from people who’ve passed some exams already would be great!!

Thanks very much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement