Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Just wondering are people working full time while studying for the exams in October? This will be my first time attempting the exams and I’m working 9-5 Mon-Fri throughout the Summer. Obviously not working would be ideal but I need more legal experience for my CV. Would 6 weeks solely studying + 8 weeks studying on weekends and some weekdays be enough to attempt 4 exams? (property,criminal,equity,contract). I may be getting ahead of myself here and don’t want to burn myself out either. However, I do find exams ok (huge generalisation yes!) but exams are my thing I like to think... I’ve bought the manuals, past exam papers, sample answers and some basic notes covering all topics. Any help from people who’ve passed some exams already would be great!!

Thanks very much

Hi, yes, I will be working right up to the week of the exams. I worked right up to the last two sittings I did also. If you are disciplined about it, you will be fine. If I was not working, I would have done anything but study while at home. I needed that panic in the run up to the exams to give me the kick i needed to get the head down and try to learn what was needed to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Hi,

This comment has really intrigued me. I have yet to sit an fe1 exam so I really don’t know how much work they entail. I just finished final year of my Law degree, I’ve recently studied Equity & Trusts, however, I’ve decided not to attempt this one in October. Reading this has made me re- think my decision... At the moment I have a very good knowledge of injunctions and I would need to re-learn trusts. Has anyone any advice regarding the Equity exam as it seems to be one that trips people up? Am I foolish not to attempt it seeing as I’ve just covered it and know Injunctions extremely well at present. Btw I am doing Criminal, Contract & Property as of now.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

My boss who did the FE1s "WARNED" me to do property, contract and equity together because there's supposed to be quite an overlap. I didn't do that and I'd recommend not listening to other people though - just do what you like best and can get over the line with. Saying that, I liked constitutional and it was good to get it out of the way first time as it's one of the bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Leraf wrote: »
    Hi, yes, I will be working right up to the week of the exams. I worked right up to the last two sittings I did also. If you are disciplined about it, you will be fine. If I was not working, I would have done anything but study while at home. I needed that panic in the run up to the exams to give me the kick i needed to get the head down and try to learn what was needed to pass.

Ok this reassured me a bit! I think it’s deifntely doable it’s just when you hear others taking the entire summer off it’s a bit worrying ! But hey the adrenaline will probably work as an advantage, Thanks a lot ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Teamhrach wrote: »
    My boss who did the FE1s "WARNED" me to do property, contract and equity together because there's supposed to be quite an overlap. I didn't do that and I'd recommend not listening to other people though - just do what you like best and can get over the line with. Saying that, I liked constitutional and it was good to get it out of the way first time as it's one of the bigger ones.

Yeah there’s definitely a huge overlap but hearing people have sat equity 3/4 times does not sit well with me haha. Suppose I might wait and see my grade from my final year exams as I might be disillusioned regarding the difficulty of the subject. I think I will stick to 3 and just give them my all.. Couldn’t imagine doing 4 and only passing 2. Heartbreaking stuff !! Thank for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Hey all!

How’s everyone keeping?

I sat 4 in October and passed, sat the next 4 in March and I got 3. I failed one by 5 marks and was devasted so I applied for a recheck. I started my traineeship last August and they are counting me on going in September to blackball. I cried for 4 days straight last time and am so nervous for Friday already. I feel there’s a terrible vibe toward me in work already and I can’t find any other opportunities around so I’m so depressed at the moment.

Anyone stressed for Friday already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

yournerd wrote: »
    Hey all!

How’s everyone keeping?

I sat 4 in October and passed, sat the next 4 in March and I got 3. I failed one by 5 marks and was devasted so I applied for a recheck. I started my traineeship last August and they are counting me on going in September to blackball. I cried for 4 days straight last time and am so nervous for Friday already. I feel there’s a terrible vibe toward me in work already and I can’t find any other opportunities around so I’m so depressed at the moment.

Hi! Glad you got on so well. Whether you get over the line this time or not, don't worry too much about the training contract - do something fun during the year. You've done amazing so far and if there's a terrible vibe, maybe you're better off with a different firm :) I mean that in the best way possible although it might be hard for people in your position to realise that right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I’m planning to take my first sitting of exams in October as I’ve just finished my degree. Because I’ve my notes I just really just need predictions and how to score well etc. is it possible to get this anywhere? Or is there only grinds?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

holliek wrote: »
    I’m planning to take my first sitting of exams in October as I’ve just finished my degree. Because I’ve my notes I just really just need predictions and how to score well etc. is it possible to get this anywhere? Or is there only grinds?

Best bet is to find some sample answers, they will give you a good taste of what is required. The examiners reports for some subjects are worth looking at and for others its a waste of time

randomrb wrote: »
    Best bet is to find some sample answers, they will give you a good taste of what is required. The examiners reports for some subjects are worth looking at and for others its a waste of time

has anyone bought past notes / sample answers off adverts/gumtree? I’ve found a few sellers who have glowing reviews regarding their notes just wondering has anyone done this to cut down the work a bit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Hi,

This comment has really intrigued me. I have yet to sit an fe1 exam so I really don’t know how much work they entail. I just finished final year of my Law degree, I’ve recently studied Equity & Trusts, however, I’ve decided not to attempt this one in October. Reading this has made me re- think my decision... At the moment I have a very good knowledge of injunctions and I would need to re-learn trusts. Has anyone any advice regarding the Equity exam as it seems to be one that trips people up? Am I foolish not to attempt it seeing as I’ve just covered it and know Injunctions extremely well at present. Btw I am doing Criminal, Contract & Property as of now.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Hi,

If you already are comfortable with injunctions I would definitely advise sitting equity.
    One piece of advice -I would double check that the notes you have from you’re undergrad degree are detailed enough for an FE1 exam in the same subject. I know mine wouldn’t have been! If you can get your hands on some of the professional manuals they’re well worth the investment.

• Advertisement

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Hi,

If you already are comfortable with injunctions I would definitely advise sitting equity.
    One piece of advice -I would double check that the notes you have from you’re undergrad degree are detailed enough for an FE1 exam in the same subject. I know mine wouldn’t have been! If you can get your hands on some of the professional manuals they’re well worth the investment.

Yeah I am thinking of it now. I had an absolute weapon of an Equity Lecturer so it was extremely thorough and I have the latest book by Biehler & the problem based book by Judith Riches which is really good too! I just need to get my hands on a manual and see some past papers to get an idea. Although I have a slight feeling I’m completely underestimating these exam topics going by this thread! Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Hey guys, I'm going to be sitting my first round of exams in October and I was wondering what's the best way to go about getting matrices/past papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Hey all!

How’s everyone keeping?

Are they sending them by post or can we login Friday morning ? Waiting for my last 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Hi Joanne,

All trusts and all injunctions will comfortably be enough.
    I think I answered 5 questions alone on trusts in the last exam.

Maxims are good as one liners to reference in answering problem questions but I wouldn’t waste time studying them in detail if you have all injunctions and trusts already learned off.

Best of luck!

Hello!

Perfect, thats what I am looking at, just needed some reassurance that I was on the right track.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Hi everyone!

Just wondering are people working full time while studying for the exams in October? This will be my first time attempting the exams and I’m working 9-5 Mon-Fri throughout the Summer. Obviously not working would be ideal but I need more legal experience for my CV. Would 6 weeks solely studying + 8 weeks studying on weekends and some weekdays be enough to attempt 4 exams? (property,criminal,equity,contract). I may be getting ahead of myself here and don’t want to burn myself out either. However, I do find exams ok (huge generalisation yes!) but exams are my thing I like to think... I’ve bought the manuals, past exam papers, sample answers and some basic notes covering all topics. Any help from people who’ve passed some exams already would be great!!

Thanks very much

Hi there,

I have been working full-time as a 'Pre-Trainee' since October last year. I decided in December to attempt 3 FE-1's. I studied every evening when I came home up until the last month where I added in one day on the weekend. I studied like this for 2 months and passed all my the exams safely. It is definitely possible work full time and study for these, its just about getting the right balance to study/work/life.

Like yourself I like to believe I test quite well- good memory, exam strategy and my undergrad is in law (experience of problem questions etc). These factors may have attributed to passing but overall I do think its the level of dedication you have to them. Don't take them lightly but also remember you have to live and be happy.

Best of luck with studying. Try not to fret, they are manageable. :)

b.anna wrote: »
    Are they sending them by post or can we login Friday morning ? Waiting for my last 2 :(

I am nervous. Still no email? Round 2 again.

Joanneom wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have been working full-time as a 'Pre-Trainee' since October last year. I decided in December to attempt 3 FE-1's. I studied every evening when I came home up until the last month where I added in one day on the weekend. I studied like this for 2 months and passed all my the exams safely. It is definitely possible work full time and study for these, its just about getting the right balance to study/work/life.

Like yourself I like to believe I test quite well- good memory, exam strategy and my undergrad is in law (experience of problem questions etc). These factors may have attributed to passing but overall I do think its the level of dedication you have to them. Don't take them lightly but also remember you have to live and be happy.

Best of luck with studying. Try not to fret, they are manageable. :)

Fair play to you, well done! I think thats given me the reassurance I needed. I will be trying to study after work most days aswell & on the weekends so I’m really hoping that will be enough! It would be great to get some started.

Thank you for the reply :) Good luck with the rest of them also 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

I am nervous. Still no email? Round 2 again.

Mod deletion. Be civil pls
    . Still nothing. Best of luck anyway. :) hope you get your last one .

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Which subjects would you recommend using the reports for? And similarly would you know which subjects they aren’t much use for?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

I have been working full-time (primary teacher) while sitting the Fe1s. I have passed 5 (sat 3 and passed 3 on my first sitting). It's an enormous undertaking. The sample answers are very useful.

• Advertisement

Is anyone here in Arthur Cox?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Re-check results in the post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Hi all,

Sitting my first set of FE1s this October.

I was planning on sitting Company, Constitutional, Criminal and Property.

Constitutional is the day after Company - I was wondering if anyone would strongly advise against having an exam the day after another, or is it doable (albeit challenging). I am usually good at cramming, so I think it would be ok. Just looking for any advice from people who have previously been in a similar situation or know people who have.

Thanks a million

Pyggg wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sitting my first set of FE1s this October.

I was planning on sitting Company, Constitutional, Criminal and Property.

Constitutional is the day after Company - I was wondering if anyone would strongly advise against having an exam the day after another, or is it doable (albeit challenging). I am usually good at cramming, so I think it would be ok. Just looking for any advice from people who have previously been in a similar situation or know people who have.

Thanks a million

Constitutional is one of the biggest topics so i would avoid doing it the day after company if possible. Whats the reasoning behind your choices or do you just like the alliteration ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Constitutional is one of the biggest topics so i would avoid doing it the day after company if possible. Whats the reasoning behind your choices or do you just like the alliteration ? :)

Thanks for your reply :)

I have never done Equity in college so looking to avoid that for first sitting, and want to do it along with Contract.
    Don't want to do EU and Constitutional together.

So I'm left with Tort, Company, Constitutional, Criminal, Property and EU.

I've seen that Criminal and Property are good to do for first sitting, so I am going to do them. They are Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th, with EU on Wednesday 10th. Don't think it would be wise for me to do EU after those two, therefore going with Constitutional over EU for this sitting.

So that means I am picking Constitutional, Criminal and Property. Leaves me with choosing between Tort and Company. Tort is Monday 2nd, Company 3rd and Constitutional 4th.
    I've heard Tort is also a large topic, so I'm wary of attempting it in my first sitting - need to pass the 3. For the difference of one day I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Sorry for long post! But that is my reasoning for thinking of Company, Constitutional Criminal and Property.

Any thoughts?

That makes sense, I would have said that Tort and Company wouldn't be too different in regard to workload, It also depends which of them you did most recently in college.

Re-check results in the post this morning.

You mean you received them?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Ngannou54 wrote: »
    I have been working full-time (primary teacher) while sitting the Fe1s. I have passed 5 (sat 3 and passed 3 on my first sitting). It's an enormous undertaking. The sample answers are very useful.

Just curious.. why are you changing career?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

You mean you received them?

I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭vid36

I received my recheck results in the post too, unfortunately I still have tort left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement